Right off the assembly line
this is my present config
amd 64 3200+
msi rs480m2-il motherboard
1gb ram
160 gb seagate sata hdd
40 gb seagate ide hdd
sony dvd rom

i tried installing fedora core4 and suse 9.3(both support sata hdd) on my system.
but fc4 throws up a kernel panic and suse doesn't detect sata hdd .
i was not even able to install suse on ide hdd also(packages start copying but something hapens and suddenly none of the packs can be copied anymore)
win xp(sp2) seems to be working fine.(surprise!!)
i'll visit novell and motherboard websites later.
if anybody knows what's wrong, please let me know.

praka123

left this forum longback
but my cousins got running a seagate sata 80GB + 40GB Seagate IDE one.both are detected and runs great.it will have to do with ur hardware wiring...AS IDE hdds are 99% detected by Linux,i believe have to do with ur hardware wiring..check...master/slave things(am weak in hardware ...) ;)

OP
G

gururaj kamle

there seems to be no hardware problem(else i would have faced problems with windows also)
i know that this is not the most logical reasoning but it does make sense upto a certain extent!

praka123

left this forum longback
DId you try any live cd's with linux kernel 2.6.x...whether it can show ur partitions......also try a 'lspci' for possible entry for sata controller...also i suspect ur ide hdd is a little old/bad sectors..post ur experiance....

rachitar

Journeyman
gururaj kamle said:
i tried installing fedora core4 and suse 9.3(both support sata hdd) on my system.

FC4 nor suse 9.3 doesnt "support" sata
*linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
To install FC4 follow this:
1)Boot from the FC4 cd 1
2)Type some garbage and press enter
3)Type Linux check media and press enter
4)follow the instructions and test only the cd1
5)skip the rest of the cd tests
6)now install FC4

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
even for me the FC4 kernel throwed some panic error

i will try what rachitar suggested

how does typin garbage before pressin enter help ???

curvenger

Broken In
By garbage it means give a false command, and error will be displayed, u can type anything other than the command. but that is usually for intel motherboard, i dont think it will work, try this, check ur sata cable and the connection, the cable has to be connect in the upper left of the sata port, and also check ur CD-ROM drive and that it is not set as Primary Master.

OP
G

gururaj kamle

good news people!!
suse 9.3 installed without problems on my 40 gb ide hdd.
turns out , there was a fault in the cable that was provided with the new cabinet. i removed the new cable and inserted a old data cable from my older system.
and that my friends, is how the battle was won!
i know, a little bit of a bus fault could give such gigantic error messages.
(not to mention such heartache!!)
but i am not entirely satisfied. suse still does not detect my new sata hdd. something is better than nothing ,i guess.
atleast now i can practice lex and yacc for my internals.
i thank everybody who responded to my query.
thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom