linux help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj27july

Journeyman
i am a newbie to linux. I can install linux as well as operate the basics. I am an expert in windows. just tell me anything and i will do it.
but lately, i have been thinking of moving to linux. i have got OPENSUSE 10.2. I can install it easily.
but i don't know anything about linux except its installation and operating the already installed programs.
Can you tell me some ebooks through which i can learn the basics of linux. I need to know the basics of linux: how to install linux, the linux terminal's commands and much more.
I need to learn linux from scratch.
I will be very thankful to you if you tell me the links for ebooks. I will download them myself.
Thanks.

praka123

left this forum longback
IBM is offering U a small course itself!
*www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-roadmap.html
Just use below guide if u want it brief
New users to Linux often complain about how hard it is for them to use.

Here's some links that should help you if you're just starting out!

Beginners' Linux Guide
This is The One Guide you need to read if you want to get comfortable with using Linux.

Our tips database and message board.
You may wish to visit the Tips database before asking a question on the ILUG mailing list.

Connection Scripts for connecting to the Internet with.
This should help you 'fill in the blanks' when specifying details for dialing in to your ISP.

A list of alternatives to Windows based software.
When making the transistion over from Windows to Linux it's very common to give up on it if you don't know what the Linux app for doing such and such is.
We hope this list will help you find the answers.

Recommended Reading.
Reading material recommended for people new to Linux.

A Reading List for the Linux Newbie.
A Reading List for the Linux Newbie by Paul Dunne.
*www.linux.ie/newusers/
and Best of Lux

hailgautam

Youngling
^^ ya look at the stickies you get to know most of it, and also keep visiting "Open Source" forum on thinkdigit regularly.

me too a newbie, not interested in tweaking anything, but find Open Suse very easy to use.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
aj27july said:
i am a newbie to linux. I can install linux as well as operate the basics. I am an expert in windows. just tell me anything and i will do it.
I just have one suggestion, paying heed to it or not is totally upon you then. Since you seem to be good at windows, don't take for granted that linux will be easy for you. There will be certain things that will be easier but a certain things seem a lot more difficult as linux is a completely different OS from windows so windows expert's have to do a lot of unlearning. This thing is what makes it rather more difficult for a windows expert.
This thing applies to moving from any OS, to any other OS. It happened with me too, I tried to use FreeBSD, but got stuck quite badly, since I had no clue about a lot of things, thing are quite different in BSDland. So, I've decided to install it in a VM for now and learn it.

OP
aj27july

aj27july

Journeyman
thanks all.
first i will try these ones.
then if any further help is needed, i will post a new post describing the problem.

OP
aj27july

aj27july

Journeyman
i had uninstalled linux now i will install it again. i need ebooks that are in pdf ot rtf or doc format.
please tell me any of these ebooks.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Nothing that's really better than tldp and practical usage.
Also, read the stickies they will point you to so many useful sites around. It's just a waste of time to list them all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom