Linux Gandhigiri - Invitations for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the offitial thread for Linux Gandhigiri.

We have several plans here. The main one is about building our very own OS.

The Preamble is as follows:

Build an OS, the way Gandhiji built a Nation.
We plan to make it based on Ubuntu. It will have a better theme. It will include all nessary softwares to keep all, from developers to n00bs, from power users to light surfers satisfied.

The project outlines will be discussed and debated here. This new distro will be just like Ubuntu internally, but enhanced for use by people like us. Its a distro for the masses, so it must have an overall ease of use.

The theme must be visually appealing and pleasing. The name is another thing we are debating on, but for now, it will just be refered to as the CustomOS.

Our distro will have all features that make it an ideal choice for a standard Indian PC. It will also nessarily feature some available optimisations for PowerComputers, Low-End Systems and Laptops.

Its developement is not a real big deal, as we will be using an automated daemon for the building, but its features, theme, look and feel, applications included, etc are the things we are discussing the most here.

==============================================================

Here is a Letter asking for cooperation in another mission we have, Linux Gandhigiri in its real sence:

Dear Linux users, fans, developers and appritiaters:

We have all endured lots of criticism from windows fanboys. Many of us, like myself, praka123 and cyrus_the_virus have taken to arms against them. But now I think we need to change. Lets take a leaf out of Mahatma Gandhi's book. Instead of criticising and flaming windows with insults, lets show the fanboys that we are more civil and more cunning.

From now on we must do the following:

1. Don't tell windows is bad, but tell that linux is good.

2. Lets preach about the advantages of having an OS like linux, but not criticise windows in the same segment. Passive comments like this are better.

3. Instead of insulting Microsoft verbally, just use the $ sign in every S microsoft products have.

4. You can also pretend ignorance of MS Operating systems, and not take windows' name at all. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

5. When someone tells that linux lacks xyz feature, don't say windows lacks abc feature, but try to help them out by suggesting a solution or say that a feature missing is a feature being developed on in the FOSS world.

6. Feel "sorry" for a Linux hater by saying that they are misunderstanding in two ways: One is that linux is not bad, and another is that nobody is forcing them to use linux, unlike some "others" who demand you to use their OS.

Many more such principals of Linux ghandianism can be adopted by us.

Even if you ask Richard M Stallman, he will tell you how much he respects Gandhiji and his values.

For principles of Community resources, Sharing among everybody, and programmers' brotherhood that linux and FOSS are, I feel that ghandigiri is the best solution for its preaching.

I have taken a New Year's resolution to talk about linux in a way that suits it better and harms its image less - Gandhigiri. Any body with me?

PS: I was inspired by infra_red_dude to do this(see link below)
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=702577&postcount=285

And yes, Just like the way Gandhiji made a nation with the people, our plan is to make an OS, by the people, for the people and towards the people. Do come in and discuss plans for the same. We are still in the initial phase of the distro's creation, and it will most propably be based on Ubuntu.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Re: Linux Ghandigiri - Invitations for Everyone!

wheow!gandhigiri! still i cant =>*www.linuxgator.org/Gnome/gnome_page/img/snoozer_likelinux_man.gif

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

i would appreciate u guys following this ;)

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

I don't have as much patience as gandhi did nor did gandhi deal with such %$#%$ fanboyism..

So, till I can bite myself from all the ignorance exhibited by winboys I guess I'll be Saddam till then :D:D

x3060

A LOTR fan

is something wrong with my phone :-l. where are all the posts ???.

CadCrazy

in search of myself

Here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77186

x3060

A LOTR fan

ok thanks :). i thought all vanished in a day . phew :-o

Cool G5

Conversation Architect

I am in too.
But let me tell you i am a noob,but am ready to do the hard work in LINUX.
Cheers.
Linux Gandhigiri Zindabad.

@Metahheadgautam - Correct the Offical word in your main post(First line).

prasad_den

Padawan

:D Just a suggestion: Pls request some mod to correct the typo in the thread title.. ghandigiri just doesn't sound right..! :D

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

even I am in,though still a 75% noob in this feild.Just lemme know what to do and I'll manage.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect

Same here.
Tell me the steps & let me try what can i do.

Pat

Beyond Smart

As I have mentioned earlier,it is G-a-n-d-h-i !!! Cheers!!

ilugd

Beware of the innocent

I don't have as much patience as gandhi did nor did gandhi deal with such %$#%$ fanboyism..

So, till I can bite myself from all the ignorance exhibited by winboys I guess I'll be Saddam till then :D:D
No, you are subash chandra bose.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Im in also. Im a 64 bit user also so you might want to keep that in mind.
Our distro will have all features that make it an ideal choice for a standard Indian PC. It will also nessarily feature some available optimizations for Power Computers, Low-End Systems and Laptops.
Create an Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon install for Speed which also has a variety of good applications most common people need. *kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/howto-set-up-gutsy-for-speed/ this should help you.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

C'mon guys you all are only looking at one aspect of FOSS that is coding. It's not just coding, all of you are good at some area or the other. You will surely find something to contribute to in that area in FOSS. And that would do good to everyone.
If you can't find the area by yourself post it here. Senior people involved with FOSS should be able to help.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

C'mon guys you all are only looking at one aspect of FOSS that is coding. It's not just coding, all of you are good at some area or the other. You will surely find something to contribute to in that area in FOSS. And that would do good to everyone.
If you can't find the area by yourself post it here. Senior people involved with FOSS should be able to help.

I'm interested in documentation and considering to start on it at a slow pace after my exams I'm in no way at the level of being a coding guru..... yet :D .

I'm interested in documentation and considering to start on it at a slow pace after my exams I'm in no way at the level of being a coding guru..... yet :D .
good. Apart from coders and doccumenters we also need other people - people who know to use software like the GIMP, Blender, InkScape, etc for some artistic looks for the projects we make. And yes, could you PLEASE either merje back the threads(and rename this one to something better, PM me) or delete this thread and put this thread's first post as the custom distro's first thread or(PM me) let me create another thread with the title post describing everything and merge the custom distro thread into it? It looks rather plain now.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom