Linux Customization

mohityadavx

Youngling
Hi!

Q1)My friend is buying a basic desktop. Now he doesn't support piracy so he want to use Linus. (He & even me have no first hand experience of Linux). so please tell which is the most windows resembling easy usable linux.

Q2) As we can't use windows app in linux plz suggest all free alternative to windows for linux. Some we have selected
Browser : Firefox
Media Player: VLC
MS Office : Open Office
Adobe Acrobat Reader : ???
Photoshop : ??
Winrar : ??
TuneUpUtilities: ???
Any other software which is used on regular basis but we can't remember right now.

Q3) Is there any way to make the linux iso with all these software already preinstallled in it. IIf even tough plz give a small tutorial.

Thanx in advance!!!:-D:-D:-D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
photoshop- Gimp

WinRaR- 7zip but sumthing should be preinstalled

tune up- linux needs no maintanence

pdf- built in

install latest Linux Mint or Ubuntu 10.10

nims11

BIOS Terminator
I currently use mint in my laptop and it is gr8
tune up- linux needs no maintanence
+1
@mohit
This link below looks good but i havent tried it...
6 Tools to Easily Create Your Own Custom Linux Distro

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
thinking of building a distro with opensuse it just looks perfect with so easy UI on web. Express ur opinion on Opensuse vs ubuntu 4 beginners.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
to make a distro requires knowledge of coding

all info of making your own distro was given as a fast track to open source
August 2009

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
I currently use mint in my laptop and it is gr8

+1
@mohit
This link below looks good but i havent tried it...
6 Tools to Easily Create Your Own Custom Linux Distro

Thanx 4 the link opensuse link is damn useful

to make a distro requires knowledge of coding

all info of making your own distro was given as a fast track to open source
August 2009

it ain't difficult at all at this link
Welcome – SUSE Studio

and no invites are required.

Tell me ur opinion about ubuntu custimazation kit (UCK) is it easy to use is it easy to use.:arrow:

still awaiting for reply about uck and opensuse vs ubuntu

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes. ubuntu is much better than OpenSUSE. The driver support is terrific and app instllation is easier than that on windows.

utkarsh009

In the zone
@nims11: are you nimesh ghelani? @OP: i would suggest you to opt for ubuntu (you can go for 10.10 but you should know that they release a new version in every 6 months. which are april and october and that is what .04 and .10 conveys. befor the decimal its the year. so next version will be 11.04) now you can customize it later to get a heavy desktop with kde or a lightweight desktop with xfce. cheers!

The_Man

Broken In
Ubuntu is not user-friendly at all.You will have to type in commands for doing even the simplest of things.Mint is a good choice.
Another excellent distro is PCLOS KDE.Take a look here:
KDE Desktop PCLinuxOS
First try Ubuntu and Mint.If you don't feel comfortable try PCLOS.It's very user-friendly.

utkarsh009

In the zone
@the_man: in most cases you can opt for gui methods. can you give some examples where we have to type in commands specifically and cannot perform the task using gui method in ubuntu? well i dont find any important tasks which do not have a gui method.

The_Man

Broken In
Ubuntu is definitely the best distro out there but I don't think newbies will find it easy.
Btw,I personally feel he should dual boot windows and linux :D.There are some good software that run on Windows/Mac only.What do you think techfreak?

The_Man

Broken In
utkarsh,ubuntu is not that easy to customise.In Windows all you need to do is launch the control panel and in a few minutes you have everything setup the way you want and you can forget about the OS.
@thetechfreak
oops.I forgot about gaming. :D Another reason to dualboot.

The_Man

Broken In
Don't know.Maybe using wine?They have better alternatives.
I really really love this thing eventhough it's not a Linux exclusive.

The_Man

Broken In
that's a nice cute app.
But aren't you worried about the future of the IT industry.What would happen if everything goes for free?How will we earn money?:cry:
We surely cant live off the 1 or 2 dollar daily donation that we get for our software:smile::cry:.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
@ all
System config is :
core2duo 2.4 Ghz
ATI Radeon X1650XT 256MB Graphic Card
ATX 300w psu
2 gb ram
intel dg 31 pr motherboard

Now for the final time we have customized a distro at susestudio which includes following:-

OPENSUSE
GNOME
OPEN OFFICE
VLC PLAYER
WI FI DRIVER
ATI DRIVER
WINE

All these repository will be included in one package.
So what say shall we still go for mint or ubuntu.

The_Man

Broken In
System configuration is good enough.
The Linux Mint Blog Blog Archive Linux Mint 10 KDE RC released!
I strongly recommend Mint.The newbie's OS.
New features in Linux Mint 10 KDE - Linux Mint
Take a look at Julia KDE!So beautiful an so easy...

The_Man

Broken In
Mint is a Linux distro that is based on Debian os.10 is the version no.of Mint.It is also the latest edition of Mint.

Top Bottom