Limit speed, data

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

We have networking between win 10 and win xp. Win 10 is connected via wifi and Win xp is connected via lan cable. No ip is given to either of the machines for networking. Is there any software/technique using which we can limit the speed and set the data limit in the pc with Win xp? I read somewhere some time back that using the mac id it is possible.

Thanks

Hrishi

It's not possible that the computers will communicate without a proper IP CONfiguration.
The data limit can be easily controlled from the gateway. So if the gateway is a router then you can implement QoS and limit the bw utilization.
If the gateway is a windows machine which is sharing it's internet then you can make use of 3rd party applications such as NetLimiter to restrict the bw utilization.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
It's not possible that the computers will communicate without a proper IP CONfiguration.
The data limit can be easily controlled from the gateway. So if the gateway is a router then you can implement QoS and limit the bw utilization.
If the gateway is a windows machine which is sharing it's internet then you can make use of 3rd party applications such as NetLimiter to restrict the bw utilization.

Noob language please.

A

amit.tiger12

Hi Guys,

We have networking between win 10 and win xp. Win 10 is connected via wifi and Win xp is connected via lan cable. No ip is given to either of the machines for networking. Is there any software/technique using which we can limit the speed and set the data limit in the pc with Win xp? I read somewhere some time back that using the mac id it is possible.

Thanks
OK. there are software available,

Net Balancer
NetBalancer - internet traffic control tool for Windows

Traffic shaper XP
Traffic Shaper XP - Freeware Bandwidth Limite

Or search like this
internet speed controller - Google Searc

There is such software for mobile devices, Android, to control internet speed of each app

Sent from my Lenovo P1ma40 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
There are similar softwares by the name of Net Limiter and Net-Peeker, but these softwares will not solve our purpose as they limit the speed and data to a software or a process. But here's what we actually need-

In our college lab we are forced to share our modem's internet with our rivals(people from different section) because they know some hod, politics eh. Now we connect our devices wirelessly to our modem but they connect their pc via lan cable and we want to restrict the speed and data to their pc. I read that it can be done by following a procedure with the mac id but our TP Link modem shows only wirelessly connected clients. The bottomline how to restrict the speed and data to the pc connected via lan?

OK. there are software available,

Net Balancer
NetBalancer - internet traffic control tool for Windows

Traffic shaper XP
Traffic Shaper XP - Freeware Bandwidth Limite

Or search like this
internet speed controller - Google Searc

There is such software for mobile devices, Android, to control speed of each app

A

amit.tiger12

There are similar softwares by the name of Net Limiter and Net-Peeker, but these softwares will not solve our purpose as they limit the speed and data to a software or a process. But here's what we actually need-

In our college lab we are forced to share our modem's internet with our rivals(people from different section) because they know some hod, politics eh. Now we connect our devices wirelessly to our modem but they connect their pc via lan cable and we want to restrict the speed and data to their pc. I read that it can be done by following a procedure with the mac id but our TP Link modem shows only wirelessly connected clients. The bottomline how to restrict the speed and data to the pc connected via lan?

if you can access router's setting page (192.168....) then you will find how to control speed for each connected device.
In setting you have to assign ip for each devices you connect, then you can control up and down link for each assigned ip..
assigning ip's for each new connected device is really painful job, but have to do it once.. then you can control speed.

Hrishi

Modems usually don't provide standalone connectivity to multiple devices at once. I think what you're referring to is either an ADSL gateway or Router.
Now coming back to your quoted bottomline ' " how we restrict bw on selected machines using router/gateway".
Well to do this you need few reqs.
1. Credentials to the Gateway/Router on which these devices are connected.
2. Binding of these PCs using their MAC IDs.
3. Apply Quality of Service on selected MAC IDs.

Using an IP based restriction policy simply won't work since most college/school environments have DHCP enabled. So chances are that someday you will end up limiting your own bandwidth based on lease cycle and renewal of your IP address.
For ease of understanding -
" your computer gets it's IP config from the closest router which has a dhcp server running on it. Dhcp server has a pool of IP address in a range ...e.g. 192.168.172.1 - 192.168.172.32. Now any computer which has dhcp/auto acquire config enabled will request your dhcp server..aka router to give it an ip address available from the pool. Since these leases are there for a limited time interval so once the lease expires you might end up getting another IP address.
Now if you apply the restriction on IP...it's quite clear that it will not be effective.
--------

iirc tp link consumer routers has IP based traffic control. I am not sure if there is a option for applying it on MAC Address.
However if you can bind these mac address to only take IP leases in a limited IP range you can use the IP range to apply the traffic control/IP based QoS.

Tbh...it's more easier to tell what will work and not if one knows the exact model number and kind of settings in place ( dhcp status...connected devices...connection type..etc)

Last edited:
A

amit.tiger12

Modems usually don't provide standalone connectivity to multiple devices at once. I think what you're referring to is either an ADSL gateway or Router.
Now coming back to your quoted bottomline ' " how we restrict bw on selected machines using router/gateway".

Using an IP based restriction policy simply won't work since most college/school environments have DHCP enabled. So chances are that someday you will end up limiting your own bandwidth based on lease cycle and renewal of your IP address.
" your computer gets it's IP config from the closest router which has a dhcp server running on it. Dhcp server has a pool of IP address in a range ...e.g. 192.168.172.1 - 192.168.172.32. Now any computer which has dhcp/auto acquire config enabled will request your dhcp server..aka router to give it an ip address available from the pool. Since these leases are there for a limited time interval so once the lease expires you might end up getting another IP address.
Now if you apply the restriction on IP...it's quite clear that it will not be effective.
--------

iirc tp link consumer routers has IP based traffic control. I am not sure if there is a option for applying it on MAC Address.
However if you can bind these mac address to only take IP leases in a limited IP range you can use the IP range to apply the traffic control/IP based QoS.

Tbh...it's more easier to tell what will work and not if one knows the exact model number and kind of settings in place ( dhcp status...connected devices...connection type..etc)
MAC id option is there in tp link.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Modems usually don't provide standalone connectivity to multiple devices at once. I think what you're referring to is either an ADSL gateway or Rohttp://forum.digit.in/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2279596uter.

--------

MAC id option is there in tp link.

Digit.jpg

The page is showing only wirelessly connected clients. The make of the model is TD-W8951ND. And our section pays for this internet connection because the college's net is just way to restricted in terms of speed and too many sites are blocked. Since some guy from the other section is hod's relative so we have to share the internet. They connect their one or max two laptops via lan and we connect our phone or laptop wirelessly. So, we wanted to limit the data and speed. Please write in some laymen language.

One more thing say we are successful in installing the net limiter or a similar software in their laptops then will they get any notification that net limiter etc is there and is limiting data/speed?

A

amit.tiger12

You can check access management tab, do settings there for limiting speeds

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TD-W8951ND does not have bandwidth control feature.It is better to talk with ppl from other sections to reach on some kind of agreement.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
You can check access management tab, do settings there for limiting speeds

No option like that dear.

TD-W8951ND does not have bandwidth control feature.It is better to talk with ppl from other sections to reach on some kind of agreement.

lol, not possible bro say we are successful in installing the net limiter or a similar software in their laptops then will they get any notification that net limiter etc is there and is limiting data/speed?

A

amit.tiger12

on monday if you can contact me on tapatalk, we will give a shot with "teamviewer".. [STRIKE]no hacking no virus please.[/STRIKE]
see you on monday..

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi,

Why not to install the sterlite High Speed Broadband , that has a feature to control the speed limit from G to 4G.
With the products like data cables , optical fiber cable, fiber broadband and high speed internet with 100 MBPS it has emphasized on FiON, powered by Sterlite Networks Ltd, is a fibre-To- The- Home (FTTH) technology, which brings this high-speed connectivity right into the home.

Will it work with simple broadband in India? And could you please share the precise download link?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Ofcourse it will work with the simple broadband in India.
With the infrastructure industry going to lay the data cables. Where copper cabling doesn’t do the job anymore, fiber optic cables are all set to revolutionize the outlook towards technology. Fiber optic technology allows to transmit data over longer distances at high speeds.

Please share the precise download link, not able to find any.

Top Bottom