LibreOffice - A step in the right direction

Krow

Crowman
I recently switched from the slow to start, heavy and annoying (ad) on MS Word Starter 2010 to OpenOffice.org 3.2. Apart from finding it dull to look at and at time frustratingly slow, I was okay with the software because it did not have the advertisement at least.

Soon, I grew tired of it too, installed LibreOffice 3.4 and I was pleasantly surprised! This thing is fast, has a much better look/feel and gets the basics right. And the best part, it is coming to Android and will have a cloud version too!

LibreOffice developer shows prototype Android and HTML5 ports
By Ryan Paul

The Document Foundation (TDF) announced plans last year to create mobile and cloud versions of LibreOffice. A preliminary iOS porting effort that was undertaken earlier in 2011 demonstrated the viability of the project and showed that the open source office suite could have a future beyond the desktop.

In a presentation this week at the FOSDEM conference, SUSE developer Michael Meeks shed some light on the current status of the porting project. The presentation slides, which he published on his blog, offer insight into some of the underlying technical details and the rationale for some of the high-level design decisions.

Those wondering why it is fast, look here: LibreOffice stats: 400 total contributors, thousands of code commits every month

*static.arstechnica.net/2012/02/03/tdfbugfixes-4f2c763-intro.png
*static.arstechnica.net/2012/02/03/tdfunusedcode-4f2c763-intro.png
Both taken from Ars Technica.

From the article linked above:
LibreOffice is gaining lots of momentum among users, too. Last year, TDF estimated that the number of users who have tried the open source office suite is approximately 10 million. LibreOffice 3.5, a major update with lots of improvements, is expected to arrive next week.

And the best part, LibreOffice is developed by TDF. :)) The Document Foundation. ;)

Eagerly waiting for the major update: version 3.5. :)

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Active community support is the key to that. They removed the bloat from open office. :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Been using it for a month or so now. Quite fast. No bloat. Startup time is lot better than OpenOffice.
Would recommend this anyone ocver OpenOffice :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using LibreOffice since its birth. Great news is that its coming to Android. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Thanks Krow..I use Openoffice in office.
but after looking at the screenshots in its website...is it also developed by sunmicrosystem coz the icons are same as openoffice?

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
No, icons are very different. I think they look much better. Just install it and see for yourself. :)

And libreoffice is developed by the document foundation. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Never (ever) tried any open source office suite. Since M$ office runs in my veins right from the beginning of time!

But, I will have to give LibreOffice a chance! Just because Krow posted the article about it in such good words.

(And probably because it's developed by TDF :D)

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Haha. Yes, try it. I was happy with the MS Word 2010 Starter edition but it is annoyingly slow. So moved. So far so good.

*tdfsc.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/tdf-infographics2.jpg

Version 3.5 Release Candidate 3 can be downloaded here: Download QA builds LibreOffice

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I was using open office from long, for me it is there only because sometimes people send me files in doc format else for me there is rarely any use of office application, I shifted to LebreOffice few months back and definitely its better than Open Office and little lighter too !

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Version 3.5.1 is out. LibreOffice seems to have done away with that annoying gray border which OpenOffice had. Okay, you can disable it but I dislike it on by default. So far I am happy with LO. Doesbthe job and does not take eons to do it.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
IT would have been great if we could update just by clicking update button rather than downloading setup everytime.

or did I miss the update button?

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
^Yes, I agree. Although it is not necessary to update unless there is a major release.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Depends on what you are looking for. Not too many changes will be noticeable if you use only Writer. If you are into Draw/Impress/etc. then upgrade.

Niilesh

Padawan
I mostly use Writer and impress.
I couldn't understand the need of Draw in a office suite. Does it have any other function than drawing?(like making graphs?)
Can it now export documents properly to ppt(x)?

Top Bottom