LG 65" Ultra HDTV preview

Finally we got a name for the LG 55" and 65" Ultra HDTV and it's LA970. though I am bit surprised about this series as their 84" Ultra HDTV comes up in LM series. Here comes the detailed preview about the verdirct and release date of the 65LA970 model. *www.t3.com/reviews/lg-65la970-review

Last edited:

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
Finally we got a name for the LG 55" and 65" Ultra HDTV and it's LA970. though I am bit surprised about this series as their 84" Ultra HDTV comes up in LM series. Here comes the detailed preview about the verdirct and release date of the 65LA970 model. LG 65LA970 4K TV preview | T3

I will give you a pre-emptive "no, I don't know the pricing for this TV". However, I would expect it to be significantly cheaper than the 84LM9600 (which is 17 lakhs). In regards to the article, I would say that 55 inches would be absolute smallest screen size fit for 4K resolution. Any smaller than that, and you run into the problem of diminishing returns. To the people who still believe that 55 inches may be a bit too small to see the full benefits of 4K, just sit closer to the TV!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

randomuser111

Technomancer
Everyone seems to be ignoring the one major flaw of the LG 4K TVs that I pointed out - No 4K upscaling engine. So unless you have 4K content to watch, Full HD content will look no better than a normal Full HD TV. ;)

Whereas with Sony, you get the ability to upscale Full HD content to 4K and make them look better than on normal HDTVs.

LG in its turn has not equipped the 84LM960V with an upscaling feature. The TV runs on the same platform as the Full HD models from the LM960V series, and LG indicates that even the motherboard is identical. The hardware also doesn't seem to realize that the panel has four times the resolution. When we set the TV to 'scan only' with a 1080p signal, you'd expect the signal to be displayed in the middle, but instead it's full-screen employing basic bi-linear upscaling. The sharpness tests in the HQV 2.0 benchmark showed that upscaled 1080p material doesn't look sharper than on a normal 1080p screen. So in this department LG is behind Sony and Sharp, but Sony's 84-inch UHD TV is also 10,000 euros more expensive.

*uk.hardware.info/reviews/3901/3/lg-84lm960v--lg-84lm9600-uhd-tv-review-scaling-up-to-uhd

Last edited:

shaurya.malik88

Broken In
I am a bit surprised by your post because I don't think any brand will ever launch a 4K TV without a resolution upscaler. I searched a bit more on this and found that reputed tech sites like cnet and pocker-lint have said that LG 84LM9600 do have the resolution upscaler in them. check out these links LG 84LM960V 4K TV review - Pocket-lint LG 84LM9600 - Flat-panel TVs - CNET Reviews correct me If I am wrong on this.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Who would you rather believe ? A site that has not reviewed the TV or a site that has done thorough review of the TV, that too in LG office and posted the info they got from LG. LG itself has admitted that the motherboard and processing is the same as Full HD LM9600 then what's the point of posting cnet link ?

Also the reason why you can't find any mention of a 4K video processing engine for this TV on LG website. If you look at Sony's 84X9000 you will see the mention of 4K X-Reality PRO engine which is unique to the 4K Bravia and not shared with any Full HD Bravia.

Last edited:

sumit_anand

Ask the man who owns one!
oh, thanks for the update mate!! I thought they would name it in LM series only but they rolled out a completely new series for this. It's the first time that I got to read full specs of the 65" LG Ultra hdtv. The article more or less seems to compare this lower model with the 84" TV but i don't think the specs are going to exactly the same.. The difference in screen size may result in some differences in the features of both the TVs..

sachiv

Broken In
By looking at this tv review and as per your article reference i think these TV sets are being used to show off the superior 4K resolution and make 2013 a big year for Ultra HD televisions.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Is CNET bigger than LG for you? :)

When LG itself is saying something about its TV, you want to believe CNET? LOL

CNET is just a tech blog. And like all tech blogs, they make mistakes quite often and do not know all products inside out. Even a lot of reviews contain incorrect information without confirming with the manufacturer.

So don't treat CNET like bible, do your own research as well ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
How much difference will upscaling make? If the content isn't 4k I can bet upscaling it on the fly will make it look bad, just what happens if you use similar setting in powerdvd etc.

randomuser111

Technomancer
How much difference will upscaling make? If the content isn't 4k I can bet upscaling it on the fly will make it look bad, just what happens if you use similar setting in powerdvd etc.

From the same LG review:

"Since there won't be much native UHD material available, a lot of effort has been made with video upscaling. Sony's 84-inch TV has a special engine that compares the current frame with the next one, and tries to add extra detail that way. In a demo session at IFA Sony proved that the effect is quite impressive, the upscaled 4K image is clearly sharper than the same image on a normal Full HD TV.Sharp has a similar technology called ICC Purios in one of its upcoming 4K TVs, and what we've seen of its implementation was also impressive."
It's a shame that LG didn't invest more in the upscaling of HD material, something that Sony and Sharp do really well with their UHD models. Considering there is currently no way around the lack of better-than-Full HD material, it's hard to recommend the 84LM960V. While the screen is good and it's the cheapest 84-inch UHD TV that we've tested, the exorbitant price tag can't be ignored. If you need a TV that size, then a third of the price nets you an 80-inch Full HD TV from Sharp, which shows HD material with comparable sharpness.

Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro engine is not PowerDVD. Millions of dollars have been spent on R&D to make it work perfectly and upscale Full HD content to look as close to 4K as possible. So that comparison is just silly. Same with Sharp's 4K engine.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
From the same LG review:

"Since there won't be much native UHD material available, a lot of effort has been made with video upscaling. Sony's 84-inch TV has a special engine that compares the current frame with the next one, and tries to add extra detail that way. In a demo session at IFA Sony proved that the effect is quite impressive, the upscaled 4K image is clearly sharper than the same image on a normal Full HD TV.Sharp has a similar technology called ICC Purios in one of its upcoming 4K TVs, and what we've seen of its implementation was also impressive."
It's a shame that LG didn't invest more in the upscaling of HD material, something that Sony and Sharp do really well with their UHD models. Considering there is currently no way around the lack of better-than-Full HD material, it's hard to recommend the 84LM960V. While the screen is good and it's the cheapest 84-inch UHD TV that we've tested, the exorbitant price tag can't be ignored. If you need a TV that size, then a third of the price nets you an 80-inch Full HD TV from Sharp, which shows HD material with comparable sharpness.

Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro engine is not PowerDVD. Millions of dollars have been spent on R&D to make it work perfectly and upscale Full HD content to look as close to 4K as possible. So that comparison is just silly. Same with Sharp's 4K engine.

Well, given what you said is true (and I'm not doubting you, it's just that LG hasn't made any official announcements about it), I guess the real question is: is the difference in performance worth $7000? This isn't a rhetorical question. I would assume that if someone is going to spend $17,000 or $25,000 on a TV, money isn't really an issue for him/her. So is the extra money worth the extra performance?

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

munish51

Broken In
No doubt that this model looks quite good but it becomes a debatable question that whether these models will be able to impress Indian customers or not?

randomuser111

Technomancer
Well, given what you said is true (and I'm not doubting you, it's just that LG hasn't made any official announcements about it), I guess the real question is: is the difference in performance worth $7000? This isn't a rhetorical question. I would assume that if someone is going to spend $17,000 or $25,000 on a TV, money isn't really an issue for him/her. So is the extra money worth the extra performance?

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

We are living in India, not USA ;). Both LG 84LM960 and Sony Bravia 84X9000 cost the same - In fact LG is more expensive by Rs.10 :p

So is the loss in performance worth the extra 10Rs? :D

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
I initially had some reservations about the review from that website randomuser111 posted mostly due to the fact that no other tech site that did a hands-on review of the 84LM9600 mentioned anything of the fact that there was no dedicated 4K upscaler. My thought process was that if anyone did a proper review of the 84LM9600, he would definitely mention such a deficiency in the reviews. Due to this, I directly contacted someone who had done a hands-on review of both the Sony and the LG Ultra HD TVs (I'll leave out who this was for now, but I'll just say that he works for a very popular tech site). This person confirmed that the hardware in the 84LM9600 was indeed based on the hardware in the 55LM9600. HOWEVER, the 84LM9600 also employs two extra Pixelworks imaging processors to handle the 4K upscaler engine. Needless to say, that essentially means the hardware in the 84LM9600 and the 55LM9600 are NOT identical. The information about the two extra Pixelwork processors in the 84LM9600 actually came from LG.

Then I started to do a little digging to see if there were any website that did a hands-on review of both the Sony and LG Ultra HD TVs and pitted them against each other. Low and behold, CNET Asia had done just that. They took screenshots and pictures of both TVs displaying content from DVDs to Blu-rays to native 4K. Take a look at this review: Hands-on: Sony Bravia KD-84X9000 (84-inch LED) - TVs - CNET Asia
I think the screenshots alone should be proof enough that the LG Ultra HD TV does not lag behind the Sony Ultra HD TV at all when it comes to its 4K upscaling feature.

And randomuser111, we all know that the prices listed on the websites are the MRP, so those are subject to change when you actually purchase the product!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

randomuser111

Technomancer
Okay well, I will contact the site myself and report back.

But fact is, LG doesn't have a 4K video processing engine. If it had, they would certainly have marketed it. Pixelwork processors may "help" but its not an engine itself. It's a 2K engine on the LM84960V.

tkin

Back to school!!
Okay well, I will contact the site myself and report back.

But fact is, LG doesn't have a 4K video processing engine. If it had, they would certainly have marketed it. Pixelwork processors may "help" but its not an engine itself. It's a 2K engine on the LM84960V.
But in that Cnet review that LG TV at times actually look sharper than the Sony version? :confused:

randomuser111

Technomancer
But in that Cnet review that LG TV at times actually look sharper than the Sony version? :confused:

Yes that's what they found. Let's wait for full fledged reviews for more details.

EDIT:

Here are reviews of both Sony and LG 4K sets from the same review site. From the info on here I think hardwareinfo guys may have got confused. LG does have upscaling feature but NOT a 4K video processing engine which has nothing much to do with upscaling. Upscaling performance on both TVs is more or lesss the same.

Anyway the overall scores for both the Sets in the reviews

2D Picture Quality

Sony - 10/10
LG - 9/10

3D Picture Quality

Sony- 10/10
LG - 9/10

Overall -

Sony - 9/10
LG - 8/10

*www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kd-84x9005_TV_review_3d-picture-performance_Page-3#tr-review-summary

*www.trustedreviews.com/lg-84lm960v_TV_review_upscaled-and-3d-images_Page-3#tr-review-summary

Last edited:
OP
navpreetsingh459

navpreetsingh459

Broken In
Woooww,,Looks like a Battle going between LG and Sony representative here. i would agree with randomuser that the prices quoted here should be INR and not in USD or Euros and i never expected that this thread will go like this. i found another tech article on digitaltrends which has reviewed the TV and that too in the LG office itself. They also claimed that the LG's upscaling quality is it's most imp trick and they have highlighted it as a high end feature of the TV. here is the link *www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/lg-84lm9600-review/
I am not sure which site is to be trusted for product reviews.

Last edited:

Ankit Omar

Broken In
^

Is CNET bigger than LG for you? :)

When LG itself is saying something about its TV, you want to believe CNET? LOL

CNET is just a tech blog. And like all tech blogs, they make mistakes quite often and do not know all products inside out. Even a lot of reviews contain incorrect information without confirming with the manufacturer.

So don't treat CNET like bible, do your own research as well ;)
I am in line with the facts you’re talking about Sony or LG 84-inch UDTV but for your kind information you said Cnet is just a tech blog and we can’t trust them. Now may I know that the source you mentioned; Is that LG's official statement? Or are we suppose to treat hardware.info as Bible? I'd suggest you to don’t try to support your statements by degrading the most trusted review sites on web.

Top Bottom