Lets discuss our newly bought ATi Radeon HD 4850 here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
and all this on 1280x1024 resolution max supported by 19" monitors ...same is the story with 22" monitors u can get same kind of performance...so what are u waiting for ...?? and why are u confused ...???
My 19 inch CRT supports a max of 1792x1344 resolution.;)

why not try catalyst 8.8 drivers...??

catalyst 8.7 has some issues with gears of war ..try using catalyst 8.6 or catalyst 8.8 ...i hope u will not encounter any problem ..what was ur previous nVidia card ??
Are you sure about it? I have fresh installed Windows XP with SP2 & got the latest 8.8 Catalyst installed.I'll run GeOW again if possible.My earlier Nvidia card was 7900GT.

The only problems I had with this card was:
1.)Some strange white lines appearing while playing videos in WMP (now fixed with Catalyst 8.8 )
2.)Gears of War's frame clipping issues
3.)Turok getting white horizontal lines in 2 levels
4.)Test Drive Unlimited, Assassin's Creed & Rainbow Six Vegas 2 giving below average performance.Around 34Fps with everything high @1280x1024.

May be it was my drivers installation or my CPU bottlenecking the above games but I'll give it a second run now.It would be helpful if other users post their weird experiences with this card as well.

The other games I benchmarked were:
Crysis @1280x1024, High settings No AA & AF - 36Fps Avg, 49Fps Max & 29Fps min.

Bioshock with everything high @1280x1024 - 60fps+ at all times

GriD same setting as above with 8X FSAA - 58fps

Flatout Ultimate Carnage with 8X AA - 53fps

Turok - 60fps constant

Gears of War - 62 fps constant

Shloeb

In the zone
^^ I have the similar performance as u. May be its the GeCube cards. I will correct my signature. I had a sapphire but then i got it replaced because it was faulty. The performance i am getting is with a GeCube ATI HD4850. So i think the problems are with GeCube. Because u r also getting just 36 FPS average with "High". Thats not even "Very High"

By the way why are u ppl saying MAXED out crysis. This means that u r having this FPS in HIGH settings. Not Very High.

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I care less about Crysis but more about the rest of the games which are to come out.If it's delivering dodgy performance in random games then I can't pin point where the issue lies.My main bet is my processor which is possibly the only thing I can think of right now.You have a better processor than my Sholeb & it shouldn't bottleneck anything.What other games did you benchmark?

I won't say it's GeCube which is causing performance issues as it's the same reference design & clocks speeds as the rest.So technically the card is built by ATI but branded by GeCube, with zero changes.

Shloeb

In the zone
^^Yes. I had the frame pauses in FEAR, Gears of War, Crysis. The gameplay was not smooth. Even STALKER.

imgame2

Padawan
^^ I have the similar performance as u. May be its the GeCube cards. I will correct my signature. I had a sapphire but then i got it replaced because it was faulty. The performance i am getting is with a GeCube ATI HD4850. So i think the problems are with GeCube. Because u r also getting just 36 FPS average with "High". Thats not even "Very High"

By the way why are u ppl saying MAXED out crysis. This means that u r having this FPS in HIGH settings. Not Very High.

i seriously don't understand why u are getting such low FPS ...perhaps install fresh windows copy and install sp3 and then run it ...or try vista ultimate 32bit version (DX10 can do the trick)...i would have loved to show my test results ...but i uninstalled it since i have to reinstall both xp and vista 64bit ...will show u once i install it again ..

and believe me it has nothing to do with Gecube ....leave aside crysis ..what about other games how do they perform ...???

I care less about Crysis but more about the rest of the games which are to come out.If it's delivering dodgy performance in random games then I can't pin point where the issue lies.My main bet is my processor which is possibly the only thing I can think of right now.You have a better processor than my Sholeb & it shouldn't bottleneck anything.What other games did you benchmark?

I won't say it's GeCube which is causing performance issues as it's the same reference design & clocks speeds as the rest.So technically the card is built by ATI but branded by GeCube, with zero changes.

i m sure u will not face such problems with the games coming out ...cos u are not the only one with HD4850 and its arguably the the most selling card and the shear volume with which this card has already sold ...any game maker will make sure that it does support and optimize the game for HD4850.

well,i dont use any....should i use FRAPS?is it any good?

oh its a very nice and small utility which shows FPS in any D3D or opengl application ..can take in-game screen shot or record movie...it can either show the current FPS on any games on any corner of ur choice or can record the FPS and average FPS anytime...its useful but yes ..its not perfect !! can only give u idea about FPS

Last edited:

bold_tank

Right off the assembly line
Finally got my radeon HD4850 from Xpertvision from lynx india for 9.4k including all charges and shipping
The brand is actually palit, because in their website they actually using word palit cards:D
and also this is almost same palit design

itz not default card it has large heatsink and two power connectors so it runs cooler i think

but not installed in system yet as i am getting new PC soon:D

Here are the pics

*inlinethumb28.webshots.com/22747/2093636780103661503S425x425Q85.jpg

*inlinethumb28.webshots.com/41627/2826819490103661503S425x425Q85.jpg

*inlinethumb51.webshots.com/10738/2177960850103661503S425x425Q85.jpg

hou u got it in 9.4k...coz i have checked there website and it's priced at 11095/-
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=237

imgame2

Padawan
hou u got it in 9.4k...coz i have checked there website and it's priced at 11095/-
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=237

the one he talking about is here
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=2736

but add 4% tax to that price and shipping 170 rupess too ...

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
are the prices of hd4850 on the nortward trend or wat? :eek:
btw,imgame2,add a siggy wid ur system config plz!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
well,i dont use any....should i use FRAPS?is it any good?

Fraps is good to check FPS. But it does chew up some RAM space and CPU cycles, since its an application running.

I use it for reference, to check how will my system is scaling after an OC has been implemented...!

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
well....i hv startd using FRAPS.....got some '0'(zero) frames in Crysis! :D

i mean 0 FPS :D !!!!!!

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
crysis can be pretty nasty on a system .....by the crysis warhead is set to release on September 12...lets see what it has to offer

hmmmm.saw some post in techtree telling that 30k pc will run or summat!
r u going for Spore?i think i'll buy it!

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
What were your settings, did it occur on scenes where lots of people are involved...intense character movement..?

1440*900*32bpp,8x anisotropic filtering,4x AA,DX9 high settings...... 8)
Yes u,got that right.....

but only for a fraction of a second acc to FRAPS!

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
hmmmm.saw some post in techtree telling that 30k pc will run or summat!
r u going for Spore?i think i'll buy it!

i don't know how good is spore...i was reading on IGN that it is a complicated game ! :(

i m looking forward to crysis warhead ..they extended the release date to 16 September now !:(

Count Dracula

Journeyman
I own the Palit version.Exactly same as the one in the first post of the thread.Mine's idling at 49 degree celsius :D.Thats OK I guess?

imgame2

Padawan
I own the Palit version.Exactly same as the one in the first post of the thread.Mine's idling at 49 degree celsius :D.Thats OK I guess?

thats perfect its the same as mine(same palit HD4850) ....moreover even at load it goes max upto 67 deg i guess ...

i guess no problems with PALIT right ???

i count u are the sixth one with PALIT HD4850 ...and without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom