learning Linux... Basic to advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Agreed, Debian releases take too much time to stablize and move forward, but see the plus point... its way stable than any other distro around....

btw: Sid is also not that unstable at all :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
not at all sarge is rock solid and the update via aptitude is the best one can ask for i am a user of debian sarge on my filewall router linux box.

oldmonk

Broken In
@pradeep chauhan
i agree about pcq linux. i found it to be unstable, hanging often on my PC, but it has a great collection of software which i can install on my slackware 10 which has given me much satisfaction.

unfortunately i have a windows only dsl modem, so i use an old pii as a gateway with the modem and M$ ween98, ICS. Sucks man , but dsl modems with an ethernet port are really not available in india. I ave searched everywhere for them.

oldmonk

Broken In
@ gnurag.

Fedora core 2 is really nice and stable.

Pretty userfriendly to get everything set up real easily. But i prefer salckware(at the moment :D )

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have no arguments about the distros and their technicalities. All that I see as of now is that my work gets done and I keep enhancing my knowledge about GNU/Linux.

Secondly, since I am not an expert, I need easily available support and new tips.

PCQ Linux satisfies my needs. So I will stick to it for the time being and will also recommend it based on my experience. :)

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
ok ok ...so tuxfan i need ur knoppix cds and that book that u want me to be as must read also plz do send anything that u have and u think might help me in knowing and learning linux i will b gr8ful to u.. well if possible do call me on 09890131844 i will for yur call too so that we can check nothing goes wrong and if u have ur mob no do send me sms i will call u.. waiting for ur reply

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
got ur sms .. thanx 4 no .. well i just got a call 4m local book shop wala that he has some new linux books 4 me.. i will check if he has the one u mention as soon as i m fine (abhi i m suffering from fever)and then let u know thanx ..

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
ok the best part about linux is that a old pentium 2 or 3 can be used as efficently as a p4 when used with the right kind of software. Again i will say (sorry it is repetitive) use a distro like gentoo it updates or infact builds itself of the net and all it downloads is lines of c code which is nothing but text and thus very small in size all the heavy work is done on your pc. giving an example i had to install x it took 25 mins to get the source (YES it took 2 hours for my old p3 to compile and install it) so the point is using this distro you can easily stay uptodate (i update every weekend and it takes about three hours on avarage) .

oldmonk

Broken In
@pradeep :

Gentoo is for the really really die hard linux fans like yourselfi suppose. By the way do you have a broadband connection to do all this downloading?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Fedora core 2 is more stable than PCQLinux. It uses 2.6 kernel. you'll lack some features like usb support in pcqlinux. But pcq linux has lots of tools bundled with. i suggest u to install fedora core 2, and if u need those tools bundled with pcq linux, you can install it using the rpms.

Riyaz Usman

PS :Any redhat based distro (ie fedora or pcqlinux) needs high system requirements, if you have a pc with atleast 256 mb RAM, you can opt Fedora, otherwise go for soe other distros like Mandrake or Xandros)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
i am one of the lesser mortals living in the IT city of bangalore who do not have a broadband. All the downloads are done using a BSNL dialup (I have the Rs 499/- second internet line) . The downloads are not that heavy if you compare it with debian's aptitude or fedora's yum method the emerge command in gentoo is realy great (and fast).

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
i have AMD athlon XP 1800+ with 256 mb ddr ram, 40 gb hdd with 3 partition that has 98 and XP proff. installed.. will fedora 2 work on my system ? Ashish what did ya say ? man ..

Ashis

In the zone
visvo said:
i have AMD athlon XP 1800+ with 256 mb ddr ram, 40 gb hdd with 3 partition that has 98 and XP proff. installed.. will fedora 2 work on my system ? Ashish what did ya say ? man ..

Whose Ashish Hear

firewall

In the zone
I have found "Running Linux" by O'Reilly is really a good Book on GNU/Linux ! You people may try this....

Shroff Publication has its Indian Reprints...

:)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I learnt linux by trial and error (rescue CD sometimes)

Now i know almost 72-75% of it.

Well, any problem arises, then just do a google dance and it gets solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom