learning Linux... Basic to advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.

visvo

Journeyman
hello.. well as i m new to linux things but i want to try to it so as i knew we have a large linux lovers here can any one help me in teaching linux .. i currently use win98 and winXP in my machine and wants to install linux so starting se start karna hai any body help.

technoteen

Journeyman
hey buddy try linux.org they have a online tutorial
i too have a material of a coaching institue on how to learn "red hat linux" if you want it just pm me

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
wait: I recommend the best place of it all... The Linux Documentation Project

-> *www.tldp.org

Otherwise : Google is my best friend

tuxfan

Technomancer
The first thing that you need to decide on is the distro and version. Die hard GNU fans will tell you to use Debian. Its a good distro, with lots of online help.

There are others who will tell you to use Red Hat (Fedora), Mandrake and SuSE. I think Digit carried some comparison article sometime back. Although it wasn't entirely accurate or upto the mark, you can refer it for some basic idea.

I would recommend you start with Knoppix or Gnoppix. Both are live distros and you don't need to install anything. Just boot from the CD. Switch off the machine and its out. That will give you some idea of how Linux is. I have Knoppix 3.6 and Gnoppix 0.8. So contact me if you need them.

As regards installation, I would recommend some distro based on Red Hat/Fedora. I use PCQ Linux (based on Fedora Core 1). The main reason for choosing Red Hat based distro is that you will find maximum number of books specifically written for it. So you don't need to rely only on on-line resources. Self learning is that bit easier.

After you select a distro, you need to partition and then install. But that comes secondary. First decide on a distro.

rakee

Journeyman
Welcome to the OSS Community pal..rock your world

how i started is--bought the redhat fedora complete reference book with a dvd--installed with the userfriendly wizard--learned a lot to administer using the book--now i am a linux freak--i am currently in application development for linux platforms--this happened within the last 4 months--linux is good,easy,free,secure,lovable.lol

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
WOW ! a gr8 deal thanx a lot 2 all u ,ya i want to choose one distro but look we have so much in market from where shall i head to ? confused whether i go for rad hat,suse,debian,elx linux,knoppix,gnoppix baap re too much to choose from .. help ! me plz now on choosing the distro what u techie think is best for me plz do tell me i will c for which one u will agree and i will adobt that distro... but plz do tell

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
I would recommend you to first try Knoppix .. its based on Debian (the best distro IMHO) .. you wont have to install it so once you are comfortable with Linux, you can try installing it ...
Knoppix was distributed in Sep issue of Digit .. Burn it and boot from it ..

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
yep knoppix is cool
another newbie frindly distro has to be mandrake ....

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have got the latest Knoppix (with KDE) 3.6 and Gnoppix (with GNOME) 0.8. I think this version is later than what came with Digit in Sep.

@ visvo : Where are you located? I can send the CDs to you as long as you cover my costs of CD and Postage. I also have PCQ Linux (3 CDs) which I have installed on the hard disk and use regularly. Its a good distro based on Fedora Core 1. But they have customised it quite a bit and included some more necessary application.

But first try out with Knoppix or Gnoppix.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Oh now I see, you are located where the India-Australia match is going on. So can I safely assume that you are located in the stadium at present? ;) Anyway, I can send you the CDs by VPP if you want.

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
hi ! thanx guys for such nice suggestion well tuxfan i m from nagpur but not in stadium .. i m in my office yup plz do tell me how much it cost me to pay u for ur cds and other stuff and hey if u have any good book or if u know any good book for linux that u think might be useful for me plz do send me i will pay all the cost.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I will inquire with the post department about the costs and let you know. But first let me know which CDs you want. I think post charges will be as per weight. So I need to know the number of CDs. :)

I have been referring to some magazines and also Red Hat Fedora 2 Bible by Christopher Negus. Actually, if you buy that book, it comes with Fedora Core 2 CDs (4 CDs). So you don't need to wait for CDs from me. But I would prefer PCQ Linux 2004 over FC2. Every issue of PCQuest almost always contains some nice tips for PCQ Linux 2004. So that makes it that much easier to learn :)

BTW, glad to know you are not in stadium. The match is anyway not worth watching so far :roll:

OP
V

visvo

Journeyman
hi ! tuxfan well .. i m getting confused now what i have to do plz tell me one by one whether i have to buy that red hat fedora 2 bible or pcq linux 04 and on which issue pcq has given their linux version ? do tell me so that can buy it.. well i read chip n digit and prefer their articles over pcq coz its easy i stopped reading pcq after the rising of JDM magz but i will do that if u say..plz guide

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
If you wanna buy then buy a book called Beginning Red Hat Fedora Core 2 .. its by Wrox .. Great book and the distro is stable too ...
Btw .. the distro is in DVD ... so if you dont have dvd drive then its of no use to you ..

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Cool ppl now can we have a thread for customizing Linux as windows is already famous so what abt a Linux thread.

tuxfan

Technomancer
visvo said:
hi ! tuxfan well .. i m getting confused now
Oops! Sorry for the confusion. But you have to first decide on the distro and then only can you decide what to buy from where.

Almost everyone here has suggested that you first try out Knoppix or Gnoppix. In that, you don't have to partition your hard disk or install anything. Just boot from the CDs. Get comfortable using it and then try an install.

My personal suggestion is PCQ Linux 2004. I find it contains almost everything that I needed (except Firefox and some XMMS goodies). It came with the March 2004 issue.

You are right. PCQuest is in a different league from Digit. Their target audience is different. But since they have given out a Linux distro, they regularly keep giving tips on it in their issues. Those articles at times are very useful. They also have a forum for their distro. So troubleshooting and learning is that bit easier.

As regards Fedora Core 2, I have heard some negative reports. They may not be true. But I am quite okay with my present installation and don't feel like updating it as of now.

So its ultimately your decision on which distro to choose. Accordingly me or someone lese can provide you with the CDs or the source from where to get them :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Well well.... I somehow dont like Fedora Project only....

As for PCQ Linux 2004, I must tell you history behind it.... They had taken RedHat's anaconda installer's source code, opened it in a text editor.... and gave a search command for the word RedHat and Fedora and replaced with PCQ .... they were trying to remove all instances of the phrase RedHat/Fedora .... with PCQ Linux .... this they had to do because of Trademark issues of the RedHat word .... and Redhat logo...

But what actually happened is, all the instances of RedHat's developers in source code and credits part like andrew_williams@redhat.com got replaced with andrew_williams@pcqlinux.com .... ha ha ha .... what a shame....

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
i too feel PCQ linux is not the real thing it is like having S*X with two Condoms on realy there is nothing like the real thing (sorry for being a bit vulger but i could not think of any other thing to express the feeling) Try Fedora core 2 and you see the diffrence. Also debian is a good option again the delay in stabalising the versions ie from woody to sarge is taking to long and has made some to migrate to gentoo which is a good option but only for a little experenced users as in gentoo you build up your linux instll from ground up there are no installers that copy and setup the files here all source are got compiled at YOUR machine adapted to your hardware and then installed at your disk :result: a tailor made fully customised steup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom