Learn photography with me

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Tried some portraits (eyes in portraits), I think some are okish... Just that I can't post them here. :)

Mostly, cloudy here... So no cumulus humilis :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Tried "people at distance", it's ok for a start. Not impressive one... Thinking of trying it again in an open field...

And it's kinda weird that I am discussing to myself for the last one week or ten days. :(

I am thinking of putting the images in one place. Is that alright, if I share your image links in a website? If anyone wants to see the pictures alone, it all will be in one place.

axelzdly1

mR.coNfusEd
Namasthe shutter gurus! :pray:

@W.O.O nac, you're doing an awesome job! Im really tired of research-ing key points about photography skills and thanks to you, I , now , have a GUIDE for learning/practicing..So much background work and pressure you're coping for us..THANK YOU SIR!

btw I want to be a 'active' in this thread by posting exercise results..but im feeling really shy to take my dslr outside..LOL :p
starting trouble..like in the 2 wheeler s..:D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It's not about making stunning photographs right from the start. It's about getting the composition as best as we could. It will lead to make some good photographs. So don't feel shy... Come on, join us. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise: Moon and Sun
One of my popular subject ever since I bought this camera. Moon is just rising... You can give it a try now, if it's not cloudy in your place.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i am coming in a bit late, but heres some from me:

*imageshack.us/scaled/large/713/d1d5.jpg

*imageshack.us/scaled/large/196/qus8.jpg

*imageshack.us/scaled/large/580/8d6f.jpg

*img197.imageshack.us/img197/7817/h959.jpg

now i'll be following up this thread closely. :)

@nac: great idea!! really love this idea of improvement and distributing knowledge. :) happy to be here.

Last edited:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
well, i saw you had excercises on the Sun & Moon and Plants.. the other two are random shots. :p

should i give that here??

anyway, i kept those pictures, as you said earlier one the most effective ways to learn is by seeing and analysing others' pics. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Did you read the thread from start? If not, do so when you have time... :)

Some key points I would like to say, please don't take it as I am offending.
* The photographs for the exercises should be a fresh one, not from your archives/collection
* Author has suggested to use normal focal length (~50mm) for the exercises and to use black and white when learning.

Do you have this book? If not get it, it will be better to follow.

About the photographs you posted. It's not just moon/sun in the photograph. How you put the moon or sun in the frame with other elements in it and how a small object (when we shoot moon/sun @ 50mm it just fills a very small amount of space in the photograph) can be a dominant subject in a photograph. Not zoomed all the way in...

lm2k

Journeyman
^^ shooting always as 50mm is very good , but for point and shoot users it is really tough task to set the lens zoom to 50mm(35mm eq)
, the author of the book mentions about camera required in just a single para and for p&s 35 mm should be ok since most of the cellphone cameras are 35 to 38mm wide while p&s of today are 28.Time taken in Adjusting focal length must not become a reason for loosing a awesome shot.

my submission for plants
*u1.ipernity.com/28/17/75/22021775.6fbc78c1.640.jpg
SX150IS , 28mm , f3.4 ,1/60 th sec . flash fired- true iso -1600.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@Nac: i read the whole thread and i didnt take it in any offening way mate :)

i just realised that the excercise needed us to utilise the rules of compo. stupid me :p

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Not necessarily it should be exactly 50mm, it can be between 40mm and 60mm.

The plant can be in lower right intersection. And I feel black and white version would be better for this shot. Why the need for ISO 1600 when you are using flash? I feel ISO 1600 gives kinda bloated look. When I tried it once a while for a portrait, it was like it added some 20/30 pounds.

i just realised that the excercise needed us to utilise the rules of compo. stupid me *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

:)

lm2k

Journeyman
here is a black n wite version( sorry for reposting)
*u1.ipernity.com/32/38/45/22633845.5dab69f5.jpg

it was 7.45 PM and almost dark, with iso 1600 alone all i was getting was 0.8th sec, so used flash at full power.
I ll try it again and post it back.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
lm2k, Yeah, it's better in black and white.

Couldn't find time to come here, was little busy with work. I guess I can do some exercise this weekend. Will see you guys with a new one...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, little busy at work. Few more days... Then I will get enough time to hang around here... :)

lm2k

Journeyman
one pic of "people at distance"
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7297/9236760087_47a576da02_z.jpg
sx150is F4 for 1/800 th of sec when iso was 200 from 50mm focal length(35mm eq)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise: Moon and Sun

*imageshack.us/a/img42/2441/1m88.jpg *imageshack.us/a/img542/711/2217.jpg *imageshack.us/a/img4/2860/zukr.jpg

Top Bottom