Learn photography with me

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Tried the last exercise STILL LIFES at home. Some ok ok shots... Thinking of trying it once again...

I guess many didn't notice the last post as it was merged with the previous one.

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac I didnt like the B&W effect u gave to those rocks ...it just dont saparate the rocks from soil ...you could either have tried on some colorful rocks or you can try selective coloring...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for the comment Sujoy.

I don't wanna blame black and white for that. It's my fault, the way I composed that photograph. I should have avoided the merger... :( Just that I would like to keep the way the author recommended when I am learning (or at least when I am doing the exercises)

Black and white photographs
~50mm (35mm equiv)

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@nac- I think all 3 are a bit lacking in contrast or is it the bw? I almost couldn't tell it was a rock in the 3rd one.
For me the 2nd one works best for composition but it is a little too tightly cropped on the right.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ I increased the contrast little bit. I didn't want to overdo it... Yeah, the background superimposed on the dominant subject "ROCK" in the 3rd picture. I should have spotted in the live view :neutral:

Thank you...

lm2k

Journeyman
@nac-Second one you posted is a very nice one. i had put those pics there because we had moved forwards for the sign board exercise since now we are back here are some more i took recently
*u1.ipernity.com/23/54/49/20935449.6eee0f9b.jpg
sx150is. iso-400 ,f/5 for 1/50 th of sec from 249mm(35mm eq) focal length.

*u1.ipernity.com/23/54/37/20935437.34137072.640.jpg
sx150is. iso-400 ,f/5 for 1/25 th of sec from 205mm(35mm eq) focal length.

*u1.ipernity.com/23/53/59/20935359.050483f0.640.jpg
Sony Ericcson ELM, Twitight portrait mode , cloudy white balance flash off. from 35mm focal length(35mm eq)
any critique or coments are welcome.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Lm2k, 2nd and 3rd are nice and good. Good contrast and punchy... First one is kinda hmmm.... not clear. Camera shake or mis focus, I don't know...

lm2k

Journeyman
^^ thnx
for the first one i forgot to turn on the IS so therotically the shutter speed shoulh have been 1/250, but i was pleased with the background, i will try it again.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise 11: Still Lifes
These I tried yesterday at my place. All are taken indoor, you can guess the lighting. For the first one, I rest my arm on the door jamb to support and the shots are reasonably sharp, I feel given the shutter speed. Increasing ISO for the last one, didn't help and the texts are not sharp. So the reason for using flash @ base ISO. I pumped the contrast little more than usual. First two are existing and the last one is arranged.

*imageshack.us/a/img40/5928/img1033vq.jpg

*imageshack.us/a/img542/3969/img1084xa.jpg

*imageshack.us/a/img809/1767/img1019pq.jpg

x---------------x---------------x---------------x---------------x

Exercise 12: Snooker

I don't think I can find the subject anytime soon. There are some alternates, but still...:| Those who can, post your work when done. I will see you guys with a new exercise tomorrow.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Amazing thread. Have not gone through all posts, just a few topics on the first page. Will surely help me in learning and understanding the art of photography.

--
I tried the first exercise and tried to capture fan at different shutter speeds. As I increased the shutter speed, the image became darker and blurry. How can this be avoided? Increasing the ISO?

PS: I'm using a Sony Cybershot HX7V. Offers only 2 Aperture settings, F8.0 and F3.5.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
If you want to capture the fan blades, use flash

@nac, I will join after Tuesday. Currently have ungerrgone surgery so cant move. Enjoying bed rest :cool:

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ :( Sad to hear that... Is this something to do with spending most of the time in front of the computer?
Hope you recover fast. :)

Nipun, Yes, you can increase ISO to avoid darker image. But if there is not enough light and/or you have reached max ISO, and still you are under exposed, you will get darker image. That's normal. As you increase ISO, picture will be noisy/grainy (I think this is what you call blurry).

And Nipun don't use flash to freeze fan blades. It will give you an illusion as you have frozen it even when you try it at slower shutter speed.

I am thinking of some photo projects. But I don't wanna take too many things at the same time. So I hold that thought for now. Will review it after a month or so??? If you guys feeling that I am boring, you can pick one of these and keep yourself engaged (If you are not already :) ).

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac did you checked the book I told you...if u all r feeling bored then I can start those...they r all mini projects ...some of them even I cant perform...it will be fun too...but before that u should have knowledge of PASM modes

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No, I am not. Not at all... Just that there isn't many participation, I pop that idea (and that's not for me).

Exercise 13: Plants

I think it's gonna be little tough to isolate a plant in a cluttered environment and making it a dominant subject. As always google to get some idea. Will see you guys soon.

lm2k

Journeyman
@marvelousprashant - hope you recover soon. take care.
@nac- still life- points : first one is fine. If possible try a shot like a mug/cup n sauccer of tea/cofee placed on a newspaper showing crossword page and a pen along with spectacle(if easily available)
i am trying to find as it is setup but didnt got any. Have just 2 images to post both taken with my cellphone.

*u1.ipernity.com/28/37/93/21033793.ff217b71.1024.jpg
this was arranged by me.
sony ericcson ELM, twilight portrait mode, cloudy white balance.

*u1.ipernity.com/13/28/29/21152829.4e4afee2.640.jpg
this was as it is setup.
sony ericcson ELM, twilight portrait mode, cloudy white balance.
c&c pls.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I will sure look for some nice set up and try and make some wonderful photographs.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise 14: Eyes in Portraits

Ahead of weekend, I think I can do one more exercise. So I am here with the new exercise on eyes in portraits. You guys know and would have seen a lot of portrait where the photographer's emphasis is on the eyes. Eyes are the prime thing in portraiture. Here with this exercise, our concentration will be mainly in eyes when taking portraits.

Google to get some ideas. Will see you guys with my work done.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise 13: Plants

I felt it will be hard to take photographs of plants in a cluttered environment, and it was really hard when I tried it today. I am just posting one I tried along with photo project - silhouette. I will post the rest tomorrow.

*img153.imageshack.us/img153/3227/wd3q.jpg

Two more tried in a near by park.

*imageshack.us/a/img203/9260/3y5z.jpg *imageshack.us/a/img41/487/o4tx.jpg

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise: Constellations
One of my favourite ever since I watched that asto photographer's trailer in timescape. I have tried few before, but all of them were taken from terrace. It would be better to go out and try this in an interesting location. Try this around new moon day (+/- 3days). Google to get some idea. I don't see stars this time of the year. Mostly it's cloudy here. So I am moving on to the next one.

Exercise: People at a distance
I saw a photograph long back which fits this title. I wanted to take a similar to that one for a very long time. But I never could able to find that vast open space with just one human in the field. Even though this exercise doesn't need that much vast open space, finding one to few humans from a distance of 100ft is not a easy thing. Let's see...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Couldn't find time to do the exercises this week. Most likely, I will be doing some of them this weekend. And adding one more in the queue.

Exercise: Clouds

Stick with smallish clouds, it's not about capturing the whole drama under the sky. Eventhough, this is about clouds, it doesn't have to be a dominant one. Feel free to incorporate this element in any genres you like. From landscape to portrait, anything. Google for smallish clouds to get some ideas. Will see you soon with the work done.

Top Bottom