Lcd or plasma

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Hi guys

want to buy a 42 inch + , full hd tv, whats the way to go. Think plasmas are better vfm. please suggest.

vickybat

static_x

In the zone
1. Plasma TVs have better contrast, Color and brightness than the LCD panels.
2. Plasma Panels consume more power when compared to LCD
3. It is said that the Life span of Plasma is less than the LCD screen. (check..)
4. Plasma Panels are much cheaper than the most LCDs.
5. Panasonic provides 3 yrs waranty onits plasma panel so you can go for it. I'm using Panasonic Plasma panel for the past 30 odd months and it is as good as new without a single problem till date.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
^^
All the points about plasma are put up perfectly by @static_x

Why don't you have a look at LED tv's. Me and my friend were looking for a 32" LCD as well and went to a few shops this evening and we stumbled upon LED's from Sony & Samsung, Black levels look good on them compared with the other LCD panels there.

Donno if the black levels are as good as plasma, since there is no Plasma panel to compare. But overall they look good.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yes i know that led's are good but 42 inch and beyond tv's are very expensive if based on led backlighting as they cost more than 100k. My budget is of 60-65k. So is there any particular model that fits this budget and gives good performance?

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
As far as i know led based tv's have led's for backlighting instead of ccfl. Please elaborate on the topic if you know the difference.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Till today I used think that LED TVs use OLED displays, but only today did I come to know that what Samsung & Sony are referring to as LED TVs are actually LCD displays with LED backlighting. Obviously referring to LCD TVs as LED TV is a marketing gimmick not correct. Therefore UK requires companies to clearly disclose the fact that these TVs use LCD panels. However, India being a technologically illiterate country, expecting such regulations would be a fumy thing. So companies never write the actual technology of the display and hence I was in the dark for aruond 2 years. Thanks to vickybat, I know the truth now.

Hi guys

want to buy a 42 inch + , full hd tv, whats the way to go. Think plasmas are better vfm. please suggest.

vickybat

Plasma Technology:

1. Older that LCD technology
  2. Bulky is size
  3. More Power hungry
  4. Produce More Heat.
  5. Suffered from Burn In Problem if a still image was exposed too long on screen.
  6. Need rooms with controlled low to normal lighting

1. Larger Screen Size availability
  2. Todays Plasma Life span is about 1 lac hours(~30 yrs 8-9 hours avg watching)
  3. Better viewing angles than LCD
  4. High contrast ratio than LCD due to its ability to show deeper blacks
  5. Excellent color accuracy /reproduction
  6. Bright, Crisp Clear images
  7. Offers a zero bad pixel policy
  8. Better motion tracking. No motion lag in fast moving images
  9. Burn-in is no longer much of a concern now a days
  10. Now a days plasma are becoming cheaper than LCD due to older technology

LCD Technology

1. Lighter weight compared to Plasma
  2. Consume less power
  3. Generate less heat
  4. No Burn in problem
  5. Can be place in brighter room
  6. More image brightness over Plasma
  7. Life span is about 60 thousand hours (~20 yrs 8-9 hrs avg watching)

1. Lower contrast ratio, not as good rendering deep blacks
  2. Not as good at tracking motion (fast moving objects may exhibit lag artifacts)
  3. Now a days LCD are more expensive than Plasm
  4. Can have bad pixels
  5. Color reproduction is not great as Plasma
  6. Viewing angle is 178 degree

I own 42' FULL HD Panasonic Plasma from past one year.

If you are planning to place TV in brighter room, go for LCD, otherwise Plasma.
If your intension is Just Cable TV watching and occasionally Movie watching(DVD, Blu Ray) Go for LCD
If your Intension is Connecting Computer and playing games/movies than go for Plasma

Make sure when using plasma you cover all windows properly to avoid light reflection from screen

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I just bought a 42" LG Plasma for 45k. It's amazing. Gaming on it is a bliss :). I would suggest that you go for a Plasma. For 60k, you can get a 42' plus a decent 5.1 sound system. LCDs are way too costly. The logic behind it is that

1) Plasma is an older technology (still it's picture quality is better :) ).
2) Plasma's smallest size is around 42... while LCD's start all the way from 19". So, bigger LCDs are costly.
3) Plasmas start at 42 (dunno if there are smaller models), while most LCD ranges get over at 52 lol. Though there are some astronomically price 70" LCDs and stuff. That's why bigger Plasmas are way cheaper than the big LCD's of the same size.

Therefore if you are looking for the most bang for your buck then I would suggest a Plasma :).

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I think this month's digit issue will give a clearer picture as they have tested hdtv's.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
^^
All the points about plasma are put up perfectly by @static_x

Why don't you have a look at LED tv's. Me and my friend were looking for a 32" LCD as well and went to a few shops this evening and we stumbled upon LED's from Sony & Samsung, Black levels look good on them compared with the other LCD panels there.

Donno if the black levels are as good as plasma, since there is no Plasma panel to compare. But overall they look good.

What was the price of samsung 32" LED TV ?

rkneo11

Broken In
LED back lit TVs are the way to go now... Offer better contrast ratio and are more durable and power savings will save you a lot too...

R

Robert Gentle

Hello friend.
I like to comment some points regarding LCD and Plasma. Every thing has some good and some bad qualities. I have been using LCD since one year.
I would suggest you to use LCD technology as compare to plasma.
Because LCD having more brightness than plasma, consume less power and also lighter in weight as compare to plasma.

Thanks for your share with me.
Digital Signage

Top Bottom