Latest Hardware Prices & Quotes..!!

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Dont think DDR2 will drop anymore. Its the change of guard for RAM's. DDR3 prices will drop since its becoming mainstream and DDR2 since they are slowly fading away will go up! Its same thing that happens every time RAM's change.

Krow

Crowman
^That's what I had said sometime back and MHG had disagreed. :p Well I got my super deal just before the rise in price and bought OCZ CL4 Titanium 2x2GB 800MHz for 1650x2.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thx @ topgear..... n will be going with the 32MB Cache drives 500GB HDD..... topgear one more question.... is there any performance difference between WD blu n green series apart from the low power consumption of the WD Green....

can anyone pls tell me why r the DDR2 RAM rates have gone sooo high...... n when we will see them drop again..... need to purchase DDR2 1066Mhz..... whats the price in mumbai feeling lazy to find out at lamington.....:grin: ( i dont need performance modules value range from kingston or transcend will suffice)

WD Blue series performs better as it's meant for speed but green series has a lower RPM rate and slow speed as this was meant for power saving a low heat generation and in those kind of usage where you need only a lot of storage space but not great speed.

But If you want the best then get WD black series drives. They are the best in speed and costs around Rs. 6.2-6.5K for 1TB :p

Corsair 2x 1GB Kit and 2x 2GB kit will cost you Rs. 4.7 and 9K receptively

nads

Broken In
@krow i envy u.... i was getting DDR2800 @ 1100/- when the prices were at the lowest but as usaul i said wait it will drop more.... then i was away for 3-4months n i came back i got prices abou 1750 2-3 months back when i got my phenom..... n now 2GB800 DDr2 is costing me 2275/- ..... Grrrrr i deadly misjudgement by me.....

@topgear no doubt WD black is faster than all the other drives but i have read some time back mebbe in digit or net that 2 drives is RAID0 is still faster than the black series.... the green series is out of question i cant have lower speed @ cost of power saving.... i checked on the WD website the power saving is effective only in idle/standby mode... but i dont need that cause i use the desktop for gaming n encodings only so the savings wont be substantial.....

guys i m again confuse by going with HDDs some r saying Seagate is better n some r saying WD is better, some even say that seagate is having problems n their HDD have a high rate of failure compare to WD.... i have both seagate n WD HDD experience both r the same but i feel the WD is quiter than seagate (noticed in my laptops) n some say performace of WD is better..... so guys please tell me what to go for.... but this spec is confirmed HDD 500GBX2 32MB cache now which brand to go with u guyshelp me decide.... thx

Krow

Crowman
Its not like Hitachi/Samsung are horrible drives either. My Seagate 500GB failed on me twice in one year. My Hitachi 160GB running 3 years no probs.

WD Green is not for you. I would recommend WD Blue or Seagate 7200.12. Please pray before you buy either. Its more like a jackpot these days. Regarding the drive failure, WD dirves also have failure issues, but not as high as Seagate 7200.11 series. Seagate 7200.12 series is not that failure prone though.

nads

Broken In
Hmmmmm thinking of going with seagate 7200.12 500GB..... any other comments from anyone.......

NB would like to hear from pplz who have set their drive in RAID0 configs.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would also recommend seagate anyday over WD ( HDds are something of personal choice too ) :p

I know if a HDD just carshed on someone the impression would be very bad as you can loose a lot of critical data ( my 80GB seagate Hdd once craches ).

BTW, the prob with 7200.11 were fixed with new firmwire update ( as upgraded mine I know that ) and the 7200.12 series drives are known to be that firmwire bug free :p

thunder.02dragon

Journeyman
WD 's are better than the Seagate..was selling Seagate before but now only WD as they perform much better and they are Quiter..
WD Blacks are great HDD's get them if you want raw Performance
2x 1TB WD Black will blow you away...
Velociraptors are costlier though

nads

Broken In
thx @topgear i have never had a seagate HDD fail on me till today n have been using seagates all my life recently only i have been using WD blue which i have in my Dell Studio 15 n samsung NC10.... i have an old seaget 40GB HDD drive which i use as a portable HDD for the last 5 years n it is still working gr8 n has never given me any trouble....

I researched on the 16 n 32MB Caches also couldnt find much of a difference..... but one thing i concludede is that if u r going with a higher size HDD (like above1TB) then the cache is useful (i even came across 64MB Cache tooo) n when there is heavy duty writing on the HDD (read server or database Applications) as far as read is concern it dosent make much of a diffrence even between 8 n 16MB cache..... n i inquired seagate dosent have 32MB cache drives in 500GB range so will go with 16MB cache drives its costing me 2500 each.... WD is costlier dunno y....

Feeling lazy to install all the stuff to the new RAID 0 setup.... have a lot of files from FS9 which will take 3-4days to install so will procure them when m in the mood... till then will be harrassing u guys with my questions...:razz:
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
WD 's are better than the Seagate..was selling Seagate before but now only WD as they perform much better and they are Quiter..

Thx man... if u could show me some place where i can find a comparision between these 2 drives will luv that.... i tried but i couldnt get anything.... my budget is 5-6Ks nothing more i know WD black r awesome but i think they cost 4Ks each.... :sad:

@thunder.02dragon what do u think which drives will be better in RAID 0 config..... pls enlighten me man.... :?

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Velociraptors are a waste of money. Better get an SSD than a velociraptor. Although WD Black is awesome.

nads

Broken In
Velociraptors are a waste of money. Better get an SSD than a velociraptor. Although WD Black is awesome.

agree with u krow velociraptors r a waste now since SSDs r in the market n in due time when SSD rates will drop n when they r available mainstream like HDDs.... we will be wondering what we were doing with HDDs in olden days...... :p i think in 4-5 years time SSDs will be the norm.....

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
@thunder.02dragon: How about 2X500GB WD Black? I am not really upto 2X1TB, unless the former makes for a really poor Rs/GB ratio.

thunder.02dragon

Journeyman
@sjoardar
Sir 500GB Black is not available, I m getting 1TB black only (thats to after loads of requests :p) Still I might give a try(I see 0% chances though). For now please consider 1TB Blacks..

Thx man... if u could show me some place where i can find a comparision between these 2 drives will luv that.... i tried but i couldnt get anything.... my budget is 5-6Ks nothing more i know WD black r awesome but i think they cost 4Ks each.... :sad:

@thunder.02dragon what do u think which drives will be better in RAID 0 config..... pls enlighten me man.... :?

@nads
*www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2404&page=2
Here 1TB Blacks in RAID0 Double the performance sir..
You might not find exact info, here just you have to judge...check the WD RAID0 SATA2 Green/Blue review and consider this same on Black which is said to be 20-40% faster

*www.legitreviews.com/article/1077/10/

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hitachi-western-digital-terabyte,2017-5.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

For choice between HDD it depends much on personal choice and previous experiences :p

Yup, I also think that 2x WD Black in Raid 0 may be a little faster in 7200 RPM drive category But I think even 2x WD Blue series or seagate 2x 7200.12 series drives also gives good performance. They may give by far 10MB less bandwidth in Raid 0 but they also costs less. When you use 2x HDds in RAID0 there is not much use of the dual proc of WD Black series. If you are using WD black as a single drive then it's the fastest of all 7200RPM drives I think.

In Raid0 mode drives RPM speed takes a major role other than dual proc.

thx @topgear i have never had a seagate HDD fail on me till today n have been using seagates all my life recently only i have been using WD blue which i have in my Dell Studio 15 n samsung NC10.... i have an old seaget 40GB HDD drive which i use as a portable HDD for the last 5 years n it is still working gr8 n has never given me any trouble....

I researched on the 16 n 32MB Caches also couldnt find much of a difference..... but one thing i concludede is that if u r going with a higher size HDD (like above1TB) then the cache is useful (i even came across 64MB Cache tooo) n when there is heavy duty writing on the HDD (read server or database Applications) as far as read is concern it dosent make much of a diffrence even between 8 n 16MB cache..... n i inquired seagate dosent have 32MB cache drives in 500GB range so will go with 16MB cache drives its costing me 2500 each.... WD is costlier dunno y....

Feeling lazy to install all the stuff to the new RAID 0 setup.... have a lot of files from FS9 which will take 3-4days to install so will procure them when m in the mood... till then will be harrassing u guys with my questions...:razz:
Posted again:

32MB cache drives gives better performance in write test though by a small margin as compared with 16MB but the price you are going to pay for the increased cache size is not too much. So there is not any point to go for low cache sized models.

Seagate has no 500GB 32MB cache drives in 7200.12 series. Only 1TB discs has 32MB cache. So at the end of the you has two choices :p
1. 2x Seagate 1TB 32MB cache 7200.12 series drives for Raid 0 ( Rs. 8K total )
2. 2X WD Blue 500GB 32MB cache drives in Raid 0 ( Rs. 5.4K )

BTW, 2x WD Black 1TB will cost around Rs. 13K :p

nads

Broken In
guys got a gud deal m getting WD 500GB @32MB Cache for 2500/- each.... for 50 bucks less i was getting seagate 7200.12 500Gb@16MB Cache..... so decided to go with WD... will let u know how the performance is once i RAID it n load win7 Ultimate on it......will be using my old seagate 7200.9 250GB 4MB Cache as an external drive ordered a TAG casing@600/- will get it by today evening n will keep u guys updated..... anywayz i wish to thank everyone who have help me in making this decision..... thx to all.....CIAO

Krow

Crowman
I've heard that the Altec Lansing MX5021 used to be very cheap in Chennai compared to the rest of the nation. But overall I think Bangalore may be cheaper.

Top Bottom