Large UPS or Small Laptop?

AGN

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I work for an MT company. From next month am required to work from home for 9 hour shifts. My area always has frequent power failures which go up to 1-2 hours. So I wanted to know what is the safe/cheap way to go -

Buy a large backup capacity UPS (2000VA/3000VA etc)

OR

Get a cheap net-book (with about 6 hours battery). for that money?

I use an intel celeron PC with 15" crt+GC and 400W smps on a 600VA UPS (9mins only).

Please give all your suggestions brands/prices as soon as possible

Thankyou.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Lets the pros and cons be broken down...

Pros of a NetBook:
1. No UPS required.
2. Portability
Cons of a NetBook:
1. Small screen size, which can hamper productivity
2. Unavailability of a DVD drive (10" NetBooks dont have it)

Pros of a Large UPS:
1. Can provide power supply for other electronic items, if needed
Cons of a Large UPS:
1. Bulky, will need big space
2. No portability (cant travel with work)

And if you don't change CRT monitor to LCD, then it itself will take most of the power.
Also, any NetBook of today's standard will have more processing power than your current Celeron PC.

Keeping all things in mind, I can only recommend going for a NetBook instead (or a laptop to overcome Cons of NetBook).

OP
A

AGN

Thanks for your input vineet. As I dont need portablility and the keyboard of netbook is hampering my productivity I've decided to get a UPS.

Now all I need to know is which UPS's have external battery support and what AH battery to go for.

Where are all other digiters gone?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Now that is something, you will have to wait for the "technical experts" :p of the forum, to know the answer...

d3p

PowerHouse
Hi AGN,

Whats your budget overall ??

My suggestion will be buying a Netbook refer this link VPCYB15AG : Y Series : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India

& again buying a APC 1.2KVA then adding a Car battery like 150AH or 75AH will increase the back to 10Hrs - 20Hrs.

BTW these inverter setup is generally used in Home for a back up time of 10HRs. But if you run your PC or Laptop with these setup, just imagine how much time of back up you can get !........

OP
A

AGN

Thanks all for the sugestions.....I've got a good deal of a 700VAups+40AHbat+19"led@10K which give me more than 2.5 hrs backup.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow dude... so u did bought yourself a LED monitor!! Thats nice... Happy working :))

Top Bottom