Laptops.Which one to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
hi,
I m a new member of the forum. i want to know that currently which laptop is most suitable to buy???? my budget is around 1 lac rupees. a little more than that will be fine. actually I misplaced previous month's digit, which had a comparative detail of laptops. plz help.
If u want to mail me, then
*i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/gagan007/signs/aceyahoo.png is my mail ID.
thanx in advance.

goobimama

 Macboy
1 lac should get you a powerbook G4. The new powerbooks have ultra high resolution displays, upgraded processors, RAM, the works!

OP
gagan007

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
goobimama said:
1 lac should get you a powerbook G4. The new powerbooks have ultra high resolution displays, upgraded processors, RAM, the works!

but dude goobimama, G4 is apple product!!!! I m not against it, but how many of us use Apple Mac etc....I m an Indian bro...I LUV microsoft :lol:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
At 1 lac, the pbook is the best you can get.

Anyways goobi.. don't expect ppl here to know what is apple or what is os X :p

99% of all ppl on this forum are the start|programs type :)

they won't understand what a mac is all about :)

even a brainiac has said on this forum that pear pc would be faster than a g4.. so u can guess how informed(mis?) the people on this forum are...

OP
gagan007

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
dear mail2and

Linux and every OS has so many holes it looks like swiss cheese. Linux robust and great security it is obvious you do not work in the security field. secondly there is no one version of linux that runs everything without updating this kernel version or another. You got to be kidding me to say that unix or mac is better then this or that. They all have flaws becuase humans write the code for all of them.

OP
gagan007

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Thanks for the Help

goobimama thanks a lot for helping man. i settled for a dell (inspirion) as I can customize it according to my needs. dude its not like that I m stuck to MS, but the truth is even after having so many flaws, MS is the choice of MOST around the globe. I just dont want to stand alone.

*i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/gagan007/gifs/q5.gif

goobimama

 Macboy
The thing is, even I was a fan of microsoft earlier.

The thing is there are so many myths regarding the Mac that most stay away from them. My local dealer told me that you have to convert a file to use it on the mac. That the OS is difficult to learn. That they heat up. that there are very few apps for running the mac.

But the fact is, that it is nothing short of perfect.

"Use it for a week and all your doubts will clear away" said the Apple dealer. They have...

OP
gagan007

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
OH if wat u r saying is true then maybe i was(still am) having MANY misconceptions.....
actually i never worked on MAC before.can u open MS Office files??? dude actually i m working with an organisation so not many options. i have to have outlook.etc.etc...

I know apple developed their first OS long b4 MS did, and steve jobs is far more respected personality...(do read the book Oddessey-From Pepsi to Apple by johnson- ex-ceo of apple), but i cant figure out why Windows is more popular than anything else...? Linux's popularity is gaining too but i don't think it can beat Windows.

If google launches its OS then I think we can see a changed world.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Well you have Microsoft Office 2004 for mac ;)

This may sound off topic, but there is an interesting fact abt IE for mac.

IE 6 for PC till date i.e. 2005 doesnot render transparent PNGs properly. I think my graphics friends here will confirm that.

However, IE 5 for mac renders these PNGs perfectly since 1999 :p

The "no-software" thing for mac is completely BS. I said it before.. i'll say it again.. 5 good software are better than 42343242 bad, ugly and cheap ones.

And oh btw check versiontracker.com for freeware for mac ;)

Also most linux apps can be ported to mac with fink

G

gxsaurav

Dell inspiron is your best bet, get a proper big battery if available for it, with a DVD-RW & u are set, even a 1.6 GHz Pentium M is enough for a laptop, if not required, then u better go for Geforce 6200 go with 128 MB RAM, it's Windows Vista ready & also supports Purevideo, else if required for gaming, get some high powered gfx

Mac is good, but just like Linux, it's not ready for India yet, at least in daily usage, it's still hard to find pirated Mac softwares as easily as Pirated Windows softwares here, & everyone does not have a broadband connection, besides, compatibility with other programs is also not sure

It’s a hard fact, but Indian PC industry should be thankful of piracy, without it, I don't think this much increase in PC usage would have been possible

goobimama

 Macboy
but i cant figure out why Windows is more popular than anything else...?

Same reason why Internet Exploder has a userbase of 87% while Firefox, a much better browser is still at around 10%.

Actually there's also a cost factor where you would normally get a more price to performance factor in a PC. but the fact is that PC components tend to get outdated much faster than those of the mac. You can easily run Mac OSX Tiger on a G3 processor...

About that piracy thing, it is one of the BIGGEST myths, the one which kept me away from the mac all these years.

G

gxsaurav

hmm, right, the piracy myth about windows,

where r u from, mumbai, it might be easy to find mac softwares there, but not everywhere, & also i should again add that everyone is not as lucky as some of us to have a broadband connection

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm from Goa. Goa is the dumps when it comes to technology. I paid 27k for Logitech speakers when you can buy them for 20k in bangalore. And if I can get software for the mac in this wilderness, surely many can find it wherever they are...

OP
gagan007

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
well said saurav. only bcoz of piracy we have came this far, else....its hard to imagine. one thing i have noticed is that those who support Apple or Linux, argue upto the end of the world, and many times Windows supporters dnt hav a answer.....

but as I have to take care of my needs, I m going for Dell. thnx a lot gobimama for ur valuable suggestions and guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom