Laptops for students, at Rs 400!

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Yes, Laptops for students, at Rs 400! Atleast that is what rediff says !!!

No idea how it is possible !! May be they meant the $100 laptop ?

Source

Students across the country will be able to buy specially designed laptops at affordable prices with the government planning to provide them the gadget at around Rs 400.

Research in this direction is being already carried out at the Indian Institute of Sciences in Bangalore and IIT-Madras to develop a special laptop at a cost of $10 for students to help them excel in studies.

"The government aims to provide $10 laptops to students and research in this direction is on," said D Purandeshwari, Minister of State for Human Resources Development, in New Delhi.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Not Possible no matter how much the Govt subsidies it.
No one produce it at that cost, forget the servicing it ,Feeding corrupted govt officials for it to reach students.
Not possible ever , never.

Not Possible no matter how much the Govt subsidies it.
No one produce it at that cost, forget the servicing it ,Feeding corrupted govt officials for it to reach students.
Not possible ever , never.
keep dreaming...
Condition apply*

*2 years contract, only 1000/pm
:lol:

Let me tell you some of the things (I think) they plan to do to cut costs:

1. no audio
2. greyscale video
3. 5" screen
4. 4mb flash memory
5. 32mb ram
6. 100mhz processor
7. advertisements on computer

anyway, seriously speaking, I have been following this story for the past one year and it looks like they already have a design to put it under 35$, and it can be made to come down to 10$ with the help of mass production. With abundant cheap labour available in India, you never know....

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Oh wait.

I think it was some mistake by Rediff (they didn't correct it though !)

I just saw the same news in todays newspaper. It says Rs.4000, I guess they meant $100 laptop or something in that range. Rediff might have omitted one zero lol.

amitava82

MMO Addict
AFAIR some govt. official promissed $10 laptop sometime back and we talked about that earlier..

*www.olpcnews.com/countries/india/india_olpc_laptop_10.html
*arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070506-india-announces-plans-for-10-laptop.html

Pat

Beyond Smart
Last time he was miserabled for a few weeks. Time for a permanent ban. What say ? Cool ? Isnt it ?

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
The credit of *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1220463 goes to hullap... i think he found it out 1st in another thread...

slugger

Banned
probably offtopic

wasn't there this thing called simputer that was developed by a Govt institution? was to be dirt cheap

dammn govt marketing ruined a good design

found this site
*www.simputer.org/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom