Laptop reboots while using VMWare

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
hey,
so i thought of using my laptop for creating virtual machines . when i create virtual machines using VMWare Workstation v9, my laptop reboots without any warning. this happens after i power on the virtual machine after creating a new machine and after i select the option in the boot menu of the OS .
for example when i use backtrack or bodhilinux , the laptop restarts without any error after the few % of the live boot has been completed that is when the operating system is booting
.P.S. i have been using linux kernel 2.6.x as the configured OS not linux kernel 2.6.x(64bit) as the OS while creating the virtual machine.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Random shutdowns are the result of over heating. For maximum of the cases.
So check if laptop is not over heating, using CoreTemp or RealTemp.

OP
rohitshubham

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
^^well look like what i have found on the documents on release of v 9.0.1 of vmware
"When powering on a virtual machine with Binary Translation on a SMEP-capable CPU, Workstation no longer causes the host to reset. If you run Windows 8 hosts on IvyBridge processors, VMware strongly recommends that you update your installation of Workstation"
looks like i need to upgrade the version , and will post the results accordingly.
(pretty sure i had posted this earlier)

yup, it's working perfectly now that i have upgraded the version to 10.0.0. :)

Top Bottom