Laptop for 100k

sarthak

In the zone
Hi guys, my friend needs to buy a new lappy in a budget of 100k. 2nd gen i7 is a must, along with good graphics to be future-proof. Also it has to be as thin and light as possible. He has the option to get it from USA also. Also the company's service should be good in Vellore.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
14"-16"

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? Also state that if Amazon.com or Newgg.com ships to your country (Only if you know this info).
India or USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Open to all brands.

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Movies, light gaming, programming.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Ashes cricket, CS

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
3-4 hours

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Might buy online if good deal is available.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows 7

Screen Specifics

11) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
FHD 1920x1080

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
^^^ He will be using the laptop for atleast next 3-4 years, so to be future-proof as well as because he wants to ensure that new versions of cricket games and cs run smoothly.
I have shortlisted Alienware m14x($1715), HP Envy 15($1668), HP dv6tqu($1434) and HP dm4tbe($1659). No other brands because I don't know if they offer international warranty or not, and also because I don't know about their service in vellore. If any one tell me about their service will consider them too.

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
if your friend can compromise then you can ask him to get a Macbook.Or one can dual boot the Macbooks also.
Otherwise you can check out some good laptops available in US here,I have filtered the models,you can filter them more according to your requirements:
13.3"-14" laptops(very good options are there)
15"-16" laptops

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
^^^^
Thanks for your reply aroraanant. Will these laptops be available at all best buy stores ? Also will there be any price difference if you buy the same config alienware or envy from the website ???

aroraanant

Explorer
The price in store and website will be same.
For knowing about the availability you can check the the website there is an option and simply you can call on the contact no. mentioned there.

red dragon

Master troll
If your friend does not mind the size, Get the 17 inch MBP.
It will overshoot the budget, but worth every penny.

Sent from Galaxy S2

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
^^^ Would have considered MBP but my friend doesn't want a mac.
Considering among 3 options right now :
1) Alienware m14x (good for gaming but heavy)
2) HP Envy 15 (good looks and lighter than alienware)
3) HP dv6 (slim and light with good config)
My friend's sister is going to US in may. Is there any chance that any new models will be launched by then ???

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Trinity based APU's may make presence till then. Also, Ivy bridge.

btw N55sf is better than all your above stated options. They completely contradict your mentioned purpose.

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
^Trinity based APU's may make presence till then. Also, Ivy bridge.

btw N55sf is better than all your above stated options. They completely contradict your mentioned purpose.

My only concern with asus is its service. According to Asus website they don't have a service center in Vellore, while both HP and Dell do.

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
Finally convinced my friend to consider 15" MBP($1799). Can anyone please tell me if the apple care protection plan bought in US is valid in India ? Also can it be bought in India even if the mac is bought in US ???

aroraanant

Explorer
Yes the plan is valid all around the world.
And you can buy it from anywhere,either from India or US.
BTW you took a good decision.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Get Alienware m14x.The monster a champion of all lappies..Runs anything you will throw at it.
Easy and quick servicing at any Dell Centre.
Jaw dropping Looks and performance..not very heavy to carry around.!!
Get it from India...anyways shipment will arrive from US only..Headt To Dell Online Store.

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
@red dragon and aroraanant
The decision's not final yet, because mbp is overshooting his budget by about 9k($148) when applecare plan is added. For his needs mac would be the best, and so I am hoping that he agrees to shell out a bit more for a really good laptop.

@Sujeet
Alienware is on 2nd priority after mbp. If he turns down mac then would go for it.

BTW Thanks for your help everyone !!!

Top Bottom