Lappy hanging in windows 7

Sarang\m/

Journeyman
I have a Hp pavilion dv6 6255 laptop with windows 7 home basic pre-installed in it. Nowadays it starts hanging every now and then. It goes too slow and it doesn't even shuts down. I have to turn the power off for restarting it. After that it becomes fine again and after a few days it starts hanging again. One strange thing w hen i scan it with MSE, it doesn't show any virus or malwares. But when it starts hanging, and then i start a scan , the scan stops at a registry entry HKCU://s-1-5-18/CONTROL%20PANEL/DESKTOP//SCRNSAVE.EXE and it won't go on.Then I have to turn the power off and start it again and then the scan runs without any hiccups. I've used malwarebytes and a few other antivirus programs but without any result. Please help.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Op needs a good AV scanner rather than some malware scanner ... OP try Avira/AVG rescue disc bootable edition and scan your lappy with this.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I think Op needs a good AV scanner rather than some malware scanner ... OP try Avira/AVG rescue disc bootable edition and scan your lappy with this.

Yeah. I think his AV was taken over by a virus. Hence his PC is being shown as clean.

OP
Sarang\m/

Sarang\m/

Journeyman
I tried with malwarebytes in safe mode but it didnt detect anything. Here are two screenshots of my pc as said by thetechfreak
*i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii514/Sarang235/Firstscreenie.png
*i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii514/Sarang235/2ndscreenie.png

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I got 2 methods for you now.

Method 1

Download, Install and Scan using Housecall
Free Online Virus Scan - Antivirus Software - Trend Micro USA

Disable and AV you have installed from scanning when it's working. Disable the AV completely.

Method 2

Uninstall ALL current AntiVirus. Backup important files to a drive other than C(or wherever Windows is installed, move files out of there)

Download : Download Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1483 - FileHippo.com

Shutdown and boot into Safe Mode. Install in Safe Mode. Don't reboot and do a full scan. There will be detections and cleanups.

PS- don't blame me if anything goes wrong.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried with malwarebytes in safe mode but it didnt detect anything. Here are two screenshots of my pc as said by thetechfreak
*i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii514/Sarang235/Firstscreenie.png
*i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii514/Sarang235/2ndscreenie.png

use a Av app coz they have much larger database so they can detect a lot more threat compared to malwarebytes antimalware/MSE/WD.

Top Bottom