Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfame

Padawan
i have posted this question before but i am now unable to find it.
Me & My friend are connected through LAN through which we are connected to net. How can we share data @ 10Mbps (network speed)

champ_rock

champ_rock
ok u need to know each others IP address or computer name..........
suppose ur ip is 10.15.135.4 and ur friends is 10.15.135.5 then u type in ur internet explorer \\10.15.135.5 .. it will show u all the drives that ur friend has shared.... now u can copy anything that u need just like any other folder.......

(for enabling sharing u right click on the folder, click properties and enable sharing under the sharing tab)

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
champ_rock said:
ok u need to know each others IP address or computer name..........
suppose ur ip is 10.15.135.4 and ur friends is 10.15.135.5 then u type in ur internet explorer \\10.15.135.5 .. it will show u all the drives that ur friend has shared.... now u can copy anything that u need just like any other folder.......

(for enabling sharing u right click on the folder, click properties and enable sharing under the sharing tab)

What about the firewall?
Wouldn't it interfere..
I use pc cillin internet security 2005 & my friend uses xp sp2 firewall.

champ_rock

champ_rock
xp sp2 firewall should not create any problems... though i recommend switching off both of them so that there is no problems.... (once the transfer is complete u can restart them)

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
champ_rock said:
xp sp2 firewall should not create any problems... though i recommend switching off both of them so that there is no problems.... (once the transfer is complete u can restart them)

Wouldn't we both will be infected by malicious code on our network?
Can antivirus handle that?

kin.vachhani

Dreaming Future
hi,,,,,
even i had this problem, what i did was i turned off all the firewall(windows and zonealarm) and antivirus(norton)
This solved my problem now i am able to share my data with other pc.
One more thing some antivirus even though they r turned off their services are on so they dont allow us to make connection between the pc.. so take this into consideration.

Andyiz

Journeyman
Use Ipmesssanger for Data transfer.
www.ipmsg.org/index.html.en
this utilizes the intranet bandwidth to the fullest.

Configure the personal firewall of trendmicro and add iPmegenger as exception.
Also u can add ur freinds Ip address in the exception list of personal firewall so that ur friend will also be able to directly access ur pc withour any prblms.

If u fail to add ur freinds ip address into exception list trend micro willl block it.

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
Andyiz said:

Also u can add ur freinds Ip address in the exception list of personal firewall so that ur friend will also be able to directly access ur pc withour any prblms.

If u fail to add ur freinds ip address into exception list trend micro willl block it.

We have net @ 128Kbps.
LAN @ 10MBps.
I want to transfer @ 10MBps.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I dont think Windows XP Firewall will give trouble. In PC-Cillin, edit the Personal Firewall setting for the active connection, and add two rules to allow Incoming and outgoing in all protocols for your friend's IP...

Do you want to share data only or internet connection also?

Arun

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
Thing is that i don't want to switch off firewalls & has made rules to allow the connection.
I am a little bit confuse.
Now to access his comp. what should i do?

Andyiz

Journeyman
ashfame said:
Thing is that i don't want to switch off firewalls & has made rules to allow the connection.
I am a little bit confuse.
Now to access his comp. what should i do?

First let us know ur requirement
Whether firewall configuration is the prblm? or Data sharing is the prblm

Assuming that ur firwall is configured properly,now u can access his comp via his workgroup

just double click Network places icon on our desktop then go to "view workgroup cmputers" find his computer name and then u r done.
This was assuming that u and him belong to same workgroup and ur friend has choosen to share his drives.

if u dont belong to same workgroup then go to microsft windows network and then find him there

godsownman

Padawan
Andyiz said:

Will this work even if I am not part of a lan.

To answer your question,

You can click start -> run -> \\10.15.135.4 where 10.15.135.4 is the assumed IP address. I dont think this will create a problems with firewalls , anyway if it does, click "allow" without making it permanent by clicking the remember setting.

abracadabra

Journeyman
one more answer ppl. by default all u internal drive (i mean u r hard disk partitions in windows) are shared. but this type of share is know as a hidden share. to access it : \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$ where "x" stands for the machine ip address from which u want to access data (eg: \\192.168.1.1\C$; this will now access the C drive of 192.168.1.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom