Knoppix without CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vij26

Broken In
hi guyz,
i want 2 download knoppix3.9, but i have older knoppixes...
I would like to know how i could run knoppix with burning the .iso file?
I have XP SP2 and SuSe Linux 9.1
Is there a way?

Delta

Journeyman
I've tried knoppix once. When booting, set CDROM as first boot device. Insert your knoppix CD in drive before computer boots. (I mean Windows XP boots)

Knoppix will boot automaticly. You can use it this way. But you can't eject CD without shutting down knoppix.

tuxfan

Technomancer
vij26, your question is not too clear. What do you want to do? Are you trying to save a CD by booting directly from the .iso file on the hard disk?

banned2wise

Broken In
topic name and the question asked has no relation, plz be apt in naming them ... btw u can use knoppix with cd as a default if u want in hdd , type "knx2hd" (in terminal/konsole)

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I think he wants to use knoppix without the cd.You can install knoppix and then use it like anormal distrubution.I think the code is

su
knoppix -installer

ujjwal

Padawan
Uh ... I think he wants to try out the knoppix live linux without having to burn the downloaded file to a CD :)

@vij21 - do you have access to a DOS drive? A bootable DOS floppy or Win9x will do ... basically you can use a tool called loadlin to boot into the knoppix CD kernel. Check the Tips & Tricks sticky for info. I don't have knoppix anymore so I can't tell you the exact steps. But look in the ISO for the kernel and the initrd image.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
vij26 said:
I would like to know how i could run knoppix with burning the .iso file?
I have XP SP2 and SuSe Linux 9.1

He has written with clearly, but IMHO he meant to say without

i think loadlin would do the trick.
First he needs to copy the 600MB KNOPPPIX file and knoppix's kernel separately to the harddisk and add its entry to the boot loaderr..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom