Key Lime Pie might have to wait as references to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean pop up

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Over the last couple of weeks, we have been hearing vague rumours that Google is pushing the release of Android 5.0 for later this year and will unveil a new version of Jelly Bean at Google I/O next month. However, there has been no concrete evidence to lend credence to these stories.

Until now, that is. We are seeing the first signs of a postponement of Android 5.0 development at the Android HQ in Mountain View. Android Police has discovered a new build of Android named 4.3 JWR23B on their server logs. The J in the build name indicates it’s still Jelly Bean as Google has maintained that naming protocol through all Android versions.

Suspecting a fake build number, the website did an IP trace and it originated in Google. “In fact, 2 different IP ranges, both corresponding to Google employees. Employees that have a lot to do with Android. It's the same IP range that had previously clued us in to some of the unreleased versions of Android before they were announced,” the report says.

Not bringing you Key Lime Pie anytime soon

The two build numbers showing up on the website’s server logs were used on a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7, which indicates that either the update is imminent or being tested for backwards compatibility, at least in the case of the Nexus 7, which is expected to be relegated by a next-generation model at the annual Google I/O event. Since JWR23B build has begun popping up in various places so close to Google I/O, it might very well be the version to be unveiled at the event.

Further digging in the official Chromium bug tracker shows a number of devices that use the JWR23B build, with at least one comment found to have been left behind by a lead Chromium developer.

The point this update for Jelly Bean suggests is that development on Key Lime Pie has not yet reached a final stage. It could also be a step towards giving OEMs enough time to get their smartphones and tablets up to Jelly Bean, before plunging forward into Android 5.0. The confusion in terms of Android OS versions is a big issue and even though most devices these days are running Android 4.0 or above, only a fraction of these run the latest 4.2.2 version. Putting Android 5.0 on hold for the time being will definitely improve the share of Jelly Bean and set the stage for the next version.

Key Lime Pie might have to wait as references to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean pop up

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
4.2 to 5.0 straight jump does not makes any sense to me anyway let the Google I/O on next month will answer this speculation.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
so we are having another internal build i guess. no new looks or earth shattering feature but more like refining the existing features. that can be a nice way to extend battery life BTW.

i have a feeling we are going to see a redesigned settings or at least a better camera UI + some features found in highend mobiles.

hari1

In the zone
It would be better if they make project greaze,:lol: lagfix for low end phones and less force closes

raksrules

Youngling
There will be project "Lots of Butter" for the new version of jellybean. Because the LAG in android is still there.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Too many speculations. The people who are speculating are leaving no stone unturned incase they're wrong.
There will be project "Lots of Butter" for the new version of jellybean. Because the LAG in android is still there.
Well it's because most OEMs "enhance" Android UI with their own changes :D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
"Key Lime.. wattt?"
That doesn't sound like a name of any sweet delicacy, that Google's been using to name Android versions. :/

randomuser111

Technomancer
"Key Lime.. wattt?"
That doesn't sound like a name of any sweet delicacy, that Google's been using to name Android versions. :/

Huh? Doesn't this look like a sweet delicacy to you ?

*cdn.androidcommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Key-Lime-Pie.jpg

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Why did they name 4.1,4.2,4.3 all as jelly bean?
But 2.1,2.2,2.3 with different names ??

2.0 to 2.1. 3.0, 3.1 & 3.2. 4.1, 4.2 all brought refined features rather than something new. 4.1 introduced project butter but what did 4.2 bring? multiple accounts & photo sphere. former may have some use but for me photo sphere is completely useless. so 4.3 will bring more fixes. with 5.0 we'll most likely get a UI overhaul along with Project Roadrunner. 4.3 may aim to optimize the resource requirement as 4.1 & 4.2 causes most entry level units to start crawling. even my mobile has started lagging only after opening a few apps once i shifted to 4.1

amjath

Human Spambot
any updates to this news?

Key lime pie expected to release around October. So its a good sign for Moto X phone as next nexus, since LG denied that they are not working on next nexus. Also 5.0 will be more optimised to run even 512 MB ram phones.

BTW as far as android 4.3 is concerned, it ll sent directly to devices running 4.2.2 rather waiting for OEM to update the firmwares

Top Bottom