KDE 4 : The Lightest Desktop Yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Man 128 Mb with CF Thats sure fast.. i will surely install Arch now downloading it anyhow and printing newbie docs
Everything you possibly need for a new install is in the other thread on ArchLinux.

Awssome stuff man ! I think I am going to shift to KDE4 the moment I get my extra 256MB Stick.
I hope Gnome 3 follows the same suite and makes Gnome as light as it once was supposed to be.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
2. The Environments chosen aren't exactly all of them available to a Linux User. However comparing all of them is a LOAD of work. Hitboxx likes Fluxbox, Mehulved likes Ratpoison, I like ..... I'm sure you get the point. Although the major ones are reviewed it won't exactly be the lightest because something tells me that Mehulveds Ratpoison environment would probably use the least. I think you could in the future when you get time add XFCE, Fluxbox and others.
Going by the title, it would seem, he's comparing Desktop Environments, you can't place Window Managers in the same comparison. It's like asking horses and elephants to race :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
One thing I wonder, with PCs having 1 GB RAM common these days, why do U need such a basic DE or just CLI? what do U do with all that RAM & CPU sitting idle?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Going by the title, it would seem, he's comparing Desktop Environments, you can't place Window Managers in the same comparison. It's like asking horses and elephants to race
Sorry I thought they would all come under the same category. In that case other than Gnome and KDE there is nothing to compare correct?

One thing I wonder, with PCs having 1 GB RAM common these days, why do U need such a basic DE or just CLI? what do U do with all that RAM & CPU sitting idle?

Why CANT we use a "basic DE or just CLI"? We probably run more applications than shown on the screen than the comparison shows.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Sorry I thought they would all come under the same category. In that case other than Gnome and KDE there is nothing to compare correct?
GNOME, KDE and XFCE are 3 Desktop Environments, having their own window managers, but can use other window managers.

gx_saurav said:
Use it to run applications?

Last edited:
Darkstar,

I still maintain my stand that the writeup was good. You wrote what you had access to and to do so obviously requires some effort which would make me bald had I tried to do the same. But since you would like to hear opinions let me throw in my 2 cents.

1. The review of OpenSuse KDE and Ubuntu Gnome can't be used to judge either DE because as hitboxx both tends to be customized for both of the Operating systems. The reason Why I would look forward to a comparison on Arch is because once you install it you have nothing other than a command prompt. So If I were to install Gnome I would only have what the package actually consists. As a comparison example. My Arch Box with the same version of Gnome uses 128 MB With Compiz (Without Compiz Fusion and fusion icon i save about 20-25 mb more) and other daemons at idle. At load it will be obviously more based on the applications I keep open. Oh also I wouldn't add AWN while doing comparison also as it tends to comsume 10+MB also?

2. The Environments chosen aren't exactly all of them available to a Linux User. However comparing all of them is a LOAD of work. Hitboxx likes Fluxbox, Mehulved likes Ratpoison, I like ..... I'm sure you get the point. Although the major ones are reviewed it won't exactly be the lightest because something tells me that Mehulveds Ratpoison environment would probably use the least. I think you could in the future when you get time add XFCE, Fluxbox and others.

If you need any help from me to enhance any content in here let me know :).
You forgot to add that MetalheadGautham likes IceWM :D

Anyway, have you ever used Conky with arch in any of these WMs or DEs ?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Do u find 1 GB RAM & C2D CPUs slow to run application?
Whats your point if you ever intend on getting there?

Anyway, have you ever used Conky with arch in any of these WMs or DEs ?
Yes I'm using a Conky setup on my Box now. Its in both the screen shot threads.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Please gimme its config file. mine is a bit corrupted.
Sure but do you know if my conky is the same you want? Theres quite alot of conky configurations on ubuntuforums also . I have referred to all those threads on my blog where I show one of them configured . It has links to the above mentioned resources.

*www.filledvoid.com/2008/01/08/conky-a-light-system-monitor/

If this is classified as advertising let me know I'll be more than happy to remove link.

Sure but do you know if my conky is the same you want? Theres quite alot of conky configurations on ubuntuforums also . I have referred to all those threads on my blog where I show one of them configured . It has links to the above mentioned resources.

*www.filledvoid.com/2008/01/08/conky-a-light-system-monitor/

If this is classified as advertising let me know I'll be more than happy to remove link.
Thanks. I have three errors totally, and with Kate editor's horrible search function, I can't find them easily.

Its not advertising.

And I think conky is going to be my feature in my next post, 10 great old skool tux apps. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom