KDE 4 Released/Preview : The future GUI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I wonder if the final version is here. Any way of knowing before I mirror the repository? The last modified dates look recent.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Ok installed. My advice to vista fanboys.
" Do not install it otherwise you'll start hating your Vista "

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^ Installed over 113 Mb of D/l...am not happy with what I got.. I would rather love to have a KDE 4 based distros ;)

F

FilledVoid

If I recall everyone on Ubuntu IRC is recommending to use KDE4 based distros rather than Installing kde core on Gutsy. Not sure why. I recall someone recommending trying Kubuntu and then upgrading kde4 ?

amitava82

MMO Addict
I just downloaded Kubuntu Live cd with KDE 4. It does not have any application, not even web browser. Total useless. I'll just wait for the final full functional release.

F

FilledVoid

I just downloaded Kubuntu Live cd with KDE 4. It does not have any application, not even web browser. Total useless. I'll just wait for the final full functional release.

The second release candidate of KDE 4 has been released and packages are available for Kubuntu 7.10.

If you want to test KDE 4 without installing packages download the live CD (466MB). This CD includes a preview of the Konqueror Webkit engine.

Source: *www.kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-rc2.php

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
On my system its taking an average of 300-400 Mb while total physical memory is 768 Mb. So I guess its pretty heavy

Note: the usage are noted while Desktop effects were On ;)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
On my system its taking an average of 300-400 Mb while total physical memory is 768 Mb. So I guess its pretty heavy

Note: the usage are noted while Desktop effects were On ;)

Is that just for the DE?
In that case its very heavy.
Compare that with xfce, which uses ~40megs in idle state on my system :p

Regards,
ray

Pat

Beyond Smart
I hope you guys are aware of the interesting things happening around the new KDE release:

Just a gist:

1:> Thom from OSNews posts a mini-review of KDE 4 which supposedly doesnt go down well with a KDE Developer

Link to review on OSNews:
*www.osnews.com/story/19159/KDE_4.0.0:_Sweet_Follows_Sour

2:> The "angry" developer responds to the criticism

*www.osnews.com/story/19161/No_Good_Would_Have_Come_From_Delaying_the_Release

Dont forget to read the comments on OSNews..There are lots of comments by both the original reviewer and the developer as they both try to put their point across.Interesting read!!

Bottomline: KDE 4.0 is *still* just a developer release or more of a preview and hence should not be considered as a stable,mature desktop environment!

praka123

left this forum longback
^what the..long time man!Gnome had released 3 versions at the same time,although most are bug-fix releases :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom