jugaad required :D

bee

Journeyman
hey guys,
the thing is
im presently in a hostel
those guys have given a port for internet via which we can connect our laptop or pc using a lan wire( thats what it is called i guess)

now the problem is that i dont have a pc or a lappy for that matter

i wanted to know that can something be done so that i could attach a wire to a modem and it then transmits wifi which i can use via my phone :D

the only problem which my mechanical engineer mind sees is that the input is via a cat-5 cable and in the modem we attach it to the dsl hole which is completely different
i know there would obviously be some more problems which i dont know of nd i hope you guys can help :)

rising prices, decreasing pocket money and on that these mobile operators increasing their internet rates :evil:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Umm... you mean a Wifi Router?

*Attaching a wire* to a modem doesn't turn it into Wifi router. :rofl:

aaruni

The Linux Guy
OP, you need a wi-fi router. It takes internet from one of your "lan" wires, and broadcasts it.

Behind view :

*g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/d-link/dlink-DIR-615-rear-lg.jpg

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
@aaruni.. its the same as the pic but in addition it has a dsl spot as well

anyhow im open to buying a router as well
will solve the problem?

@vyom.. funny you dint get it
there are modems that act as routers too

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@bee : those are modem + router. Only modem don't cut it.

and, best way to find out is, plug-in and hope for the best!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If you buy a modem+router, you will need a laptop to configure it first. Borrow it from a friend once. Set a good password on it too.
After which you can access Internet from it through Wifi.

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
means i get a router
plug in the wire
connect to wifi
enter the id and password given in the browser
and viola!! ?

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
You can ask one of your friend who have a laptop, to share the internet connection via wifi. In that case your friend's laptop will act as a wifi router/modem. No need to buy another one.

To do this, your friend's laptop needs to be connected to the router by wire. Tell him to install connectify software, using that app he will be able to share the internet connection over wifi, that you can use from your phone.

If you dont have any friend who is willing to , only option for you to get a router with wifi(with antena). Normal router will not work.

OP
bee

bee

Journeyman
there are friends
but they cant just stay in my room all the time
and my neighbors are just fartminded
ill buy a router(with an antenna :razz:) no problem
will post about any hiccups

thanks guys :D

Top Bottom