Joomla versus Wordpress!

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
As some of you may be aware, I am hobbyist-turned-professional PHP-MySQL programmer. These days, I have to commonly deal with open-source packages such as Wordpress, Joomla, etc. Almost all of my work is related to wordpress.

I have observed that Worpdress is easy to use and customize. Mind you, I am not speaking about small customizations like template modification, CSS editing, etc. I am speaking of actually writing complex plugins that need you to know the "code" in WP. One of the latest plugins I created for one my included ability to "Report post", just like in forums where we report posts for piracy, offensive languages, etc. Another plugin I wrote added "Tags" to categories just like we add tags to posts.

Overall, my experience was that its is quite easy to hack(in positive sense) wordpress.

Joomla too being popular, I also tried to peek into Joomla's code. But I was horrified looking at the "alien" looking code and I never thought of doing it again. Even to create a template file, you have to create so many folders, files, traverse them continuously, etc. Also, I felt the support forums were a bit inactive.

Recently, I have seen many Joomla installations cracked, including those of our two well-known members-- T159 and NucleusKore. I don't claim that WP never gets cracked, but I have seen less no. of WP's cracked as compared to Joomla.

Even on other forums, I have seen people accepting Joomla downward journey. So the whole point of this is Joomla as strong as it was before? Is Joomla riding on its brand name rather than actual code? Moreover, WP is improving very fast, adding a host of new features and marching consistently towards maturation as a CMS. Even now, many sites are using WP as a CMS instead of blog-engine. Infact I too am one of them, but I will accept my installation is pretty simple.

So what do you think? Will Joomla and Wordpress end up as the Hare and the tortoise? And again, no fanboyism in this thread please!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Wordpress is easy as pie but I like Drupal more. It's more elegant and you start off from scratch. The features for large website management are far awesome than wordpress. Though I don't have time to learn it now. But when I get I will.

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
well joomla is really complex.. i made 2-3 wp themes with ease.. But when i just used joomla my mind boggled and i uninstalled it :p .... but for complex sites joomla is the best... for blogs wordpress :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Sorry for bumping a old thread, I need a CMS for my company's website. which one do you recomend, I have only seen blogs which used wordpress, how is the security of Joomla?

amol48

Searching...
^^

If it's not a heavy website in terms of data, go on with wordpress. Otherwise Joomla is your answer ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Looks like I am freezing on Joomla .. but out stupid hosting company says that MySQL will only come with Linux package and I have to pay for it :mad: we have a windows host :| those dumbos dont even know that MySQL can be installed in a windows server as well :mad:, I am so pissed off that I will change my company's hosting to someone more reliable and knowledable.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Recently, I have seen many Joomla installations cracked, including those of our two well-known members-- T159 and NucleusKore. I don't claim that WP never gets cracked, but I have seen less no. of WP's cracked as compared to Joomla.

and I learnt my lesson to update regularly !

Top Bottom