Ivy bridge laptops: worth the wait?

n64freak

Broken In
As far as I can see, only ASUS and HP have brought out laptops on the Ivy bridge platform in India.

Is it worth waiting for a few more months to buy a laptop, or will the present Sandy bridge suffice for all needs?

I'd use my laptop for mostly gaming and watching films.
I had shortlisted the HP 7010tx and an ASUS laptop, but now, I don't know whether to wait for a while and see what Ivy bridge offerings come up.

Does anyone have a definite idea on what manufacturers would bring out Ivy bridge-based laptops, and around what time?

rahulbhattad2003

Right off the assembly line
well i would hope you would wait as they are good. even if you dont feel the same way new IVY BRIDGE would hopefully reduce cost of Sandy Bridge

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
IT really depends on what you want since hp and dell are not offering very good mobile GPU's even with their top end laptops it does not make any real sense to switch to i7 3rd gen processors. However companies like ASUS and MSI are launching their new series in South East Asia. These have core i7 3rd gen + gtx 660m which is a very powerful package. I am myself getting one of these next month and they are costing about 62k for 15.6" one.

The problem is that the manufacturers are trying to clear their old stocks. MSI is still selling the laptops in US with gtx 560m for the same price for which can buy the above mentioned laptop in malaysia.

So i would suggest wait a bit because AMD trinity is also going to be launched on 15 June so it will have a effect on the prices of intel laptops. If you are planning to get a laptop save money for another month or so and get it in the 7th or 8 th month.

aroraanant

Explorer
No one can say in exactly how much time they will be there in market but hopefully in a month or two they will be there.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
HD4000 beats the crap out of lowend GPU. This should make AMD & NVIDIA price their midrange offering more aggressively. i am expecting GT640 at 40k soon with an entry level IVB Core i3. GT610/620/630 makes no sense now.

Really strange how Intel got back into the GPU fight. just a year ago Intels fastest IGP was slower than slowest modern day GPU. Now waiting for AMD's move.

25k gaming laptop FTW :grin:

@n64freak, IVB itself isn't evolutionary in performance side. but its graphics side should bring in massive change in the laptop field. so if you wait, get ready to wait for 4months but it should worth it else go with current offering.

OP
n64freak

n64freak

Broken In
IT really depends on what you want since hp and dell are not offering very good mobile GPU's even with their top end laptops it does not make any real sense to switch to i7 3rd gen processors. However companies like ASUS and MSI are launching their new series in South East Asia. These have core i7 3rd gen + gtx 660m which is a very powerful package. I am myself getting one of these next month and they are costing about 62k for 15.6" one.

The problem is that the manufacturers are trying to clear their old stocks. MSI is still selling the laptops in US with gtx 560m for the same price for which can buy the above mentioned laptop in malaysia.

So i would suggest wait a bit because AMD trinity is also going to be launched on 15 June so it will have a effect on the prices of intel laptops. If you are planning to get a laptop save money for another month or so and get it in the 7th or 8 th month.

Okay, so the laptop's going to be for Gaming purposes ONLY. Or so one can assume. And I've checked the benchmarks for both the current chips that Dell offers, and the ones on HP and ASUS (ones in India) and all seem to be mediocre for gaming. Is it certain that ASUS will launch that 3rd gen i7 with 660M in India? Or will it be just for the other countries in SEA? -_-"

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Will the AMD "Trinity" APU based laptops be available in India? I,mean the high end versions.
Since Llano laptops were sparingly available,with none of the manufacturers possessing an AMD A8-35** series APU, here in India.

Well,sorry Forum members & Friends,I was off topic from this thread,(Just the above comment).

Intel,has claimed to bring down prices of Ivy Bridge based Laptops to $500-$600 price range point,by adopting very high quality polymer/plastic with an increased shock proof and other build qualities for the chassis of ultrabooks and notebooks.
Did they ship any such product to India?
Any OEM?

Top Bottom