IT Job vs Job as SBI PO

sameermanas

Starting to learn!!
i smiled after reading your post. the way you wrote felt a little humorous to me. hope you won't mind.

i dont know much, but one of my maternal uncles (may be 45+ in age) is in SBI, and yes, he keeps getting transferred here-and-there. presently he's in some rural town near Jhansi or Kanpur or somewhere.

also, a coursemate of mine (a shippy), he left sailing to be at home due to family-compulsions, and is now a PO in BoI (though he wanted to be in BoB, and had secured the score reqd. for that, but due to some discrepancy, couldn't get in it). he's not very pleased with the work-profile in banking, but atleast satisfied that he's at home now. life picked up pace well for him since. he sometimes used to tell me about experiences of SBI people he interacted with on another forum, and it was what you wrote - huge workload, weekend-work too many times, etc., etc. though salary, etc. are good i presume. also, not to forget handling pestering and furious customers at times, though that can be across all the banks (he experienced one such incident recently, and was thoroughly miffed by it! gave his piece of mind to the customer. hehe).

Yes you are exactly right. If someone wants a bank career, then other PSBs are far better. SBI is the biggest bank as well as the toughest bank to work with. If one wants a bank career, a clerical cadre is much peaceful to live.

Ronnie012

Earthling
Dude don't mind, but if you so much hate your job and organisation, then I think its better to resign and start searching for other jobs. There is a scarcity of jobs in the market now and someone more worthy of the post you are holding currently can get the job.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
dissatisfaction is not hate & you can not get the true picture from outside.every thing comes with a price & in sbi po case it is your personal life & work balance.of course there are ppl willing to pay this price but those who don't can not be blamed.also leaving a job is a complicated decision & many times there is no other option but to continue even if job is not satisfying.

archananair

Broken In
Your family is right joining SBI would get you secure job and also other facilities which you will not get in private job.
But you are the person who will be joining job and not your family. I think job satisfaction is most important not matter you work in private or government. If you feel that IT industry id for you and you can make great future ahead in it then continue with it.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Hi Guys,

Sorry for digging his thread but I had to answer this. I am a Po in SBI right now, so I think I am eligible to give you a suitable answer.

The first thing I would say is no to SBI. In SBI salary and respect apart, there is no work-life balance. U keep getting transfers till you retire. Ur family relations and relations with ur kids etc in future will deteriorate. Work is like 9 to 9 almost. In only some branches ull be able to leave by 6 30 or 7.

SBI is strigent in rules and transfers, so u got to do all the homework or ur doomed. Apart from that u need to give confirmation tests, e lessons etc etc till u die and thats too much irritating at times. If anything is to be done by the govt, the first target is banks. So u sometimes need to go to bank even on sundays. It is the most pathetic and heavy workload job ever.

If you feel u cant achieve anything and u don't need a family, then welcome to SBI.

PS: I am planning to quit SBI very soon to get a life!

It's not just limited to SBI, BoB is the most profiting public sector bank , how do you think it achieves that: by sucking employees' blood. I think this unjust workload is due to implementation of policies of government. While there are many govt deptt/offices where employees are eating tobacco & playing cards(RTO) , in banks there is no place to breathe. Ten people are shouting 10 different things all at the same time while I am passing RTGS worth crores of rupees. One mistake & you're doomed. Just a fortnight ago a cashier's cash fell short by Rs. 30,000. The Bank makes no exceptions when it comes to recovery. The most recent & popular example of unjust workload is Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna. Opening millions of accounts of people with little or no documents to go along with the current unjust workload & no help from govt in providing additional staff, it is the most worthless scheme I have ever seen. This scheme is for people who are not connected to banking sector & primarily for the poor but Oh Lord! how many thousands of accounts opened are fraudulent. Before elections, I was an advocate of Modi, well that's changed now for sure. But positive thing coming out was the recent settlement b/w bank unions & IBA. Atleast now 2 saturdays will be off :)

dissatisfaction is not hate & you can not get the true picture from outside.every thing comes with a price & in sbi po case it is your personal life & work balance.of course there are ppl willing to pay this price but those who don't can not be blamed.also leaving a job is a complicated decision & many times there is no other option but to continue even if job is not satisfying.
It's a huge price, either get a life or you're eaten by the bank. Just look at the dull faces of old branch managers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom