Is this possible ???

vizkid2005

In the zone
Is it possible to have 2 LAN connections on one machine with unique IP address of each ?

The problem is we friends want to connect our entire housing complex as one BIG LAN !!! (for gaming and file sharing )

The problem is ... We each have an MTNL connection for internet . So one lan port on each machine is used constantly .
We plan to add a D link Lan card to each of our machine . In this we will add the LAN connection for the complex.

We have 6-7 people per building and 6-7 of such buildings ... The buildings are of variable height ... so there will be cable running from on building to another .
What I thought is to keep a network Dlink switch on terrace of each building and and connect all PC`s of that building on the respective switch and then ultimately interconnect all the switches ...

Will the above config work ??? Please Help ..

Also suggest which lan cards and switches to use also what cable should we use ...
Consider us as total noobs on networking ..

Thank You .

OP
V

vizkid2005

In the zone
^^^Hubs or switchs ???

And this is the desired config ... Will this work ??? Keeping above situations in mind ...

*img43.imageshack.us/img43/7094/unlednin.png

Last edited:

khmadhu

change is constant!!
switches are better, but are costly when compared to hub. get 16 port switch.. just for future concern.

and u r designed config is good.. but to connect all switches u need atleast one L3 switch for better routing...

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Use a switch as mentioned above.

My question:
Can I use two different (mobile GPRS and BB) at the same time on the same computer (same OS not virtual Pc for other connection)and download diff files simultaneously? Like I want to download a big file from BB and a song from GPRS at the same time.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
My question:
Can I use two different (mobile GPRS and BB) at the same time on the same computer (same OS not virtual Pc for other connection)and download diff files simultaneously? Like I want to download a big file from BB and a song from GPRS at the same time.

u can connect two internet connection on same PC. but at a given time only one link will be used. in windows its difficult to achieve.if u know some TCP/IP concepts.. in Linux you can do it .. through some load balancing software..

why are u connecting mobile GPRS to PC.? you can download songs directly to u r mobile.. and use the BB for PC!. and moreover GPRS is very slow compare to BB

infact I download most of the things to my mobile.. using BB wifi. I put 3 big files for download at night from my mobile. it downloads easily.. saving some power!.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Actually five days ago my BB was in trouble and I got a three day Rs. 14 500MB plan. Just on the last day BB service got OK and my GPRS had 425mb left so my brother asked if it can be done just to exhaust as much mb I can (I got curious for this kind of possibility of using two connection on one Pc). I want to do it from pc as doing in mobile many a times the download fails and there is no resume option. Also the mobile doesn't have a wifi. I use Ubuntu as well so if you can guide for me to try it.

tkin

Back to school!!
Cannot be done on windows, and also next time choose a better post title.

Top Bottom