Is this a good configration for medium range gaming pc or should I make any changes? plz suggest..!!

chetan m

Broken In
processor: AMD FX 8150 am3+
mobo: asus m5a97
gpu: amd/ati radeon hd6850 1gb gddr5
psu: cooler master extreme ii 725 watt
ram: corsair vengeance ddr3 4gb
hdd: seagate 1 tb
cooling: corsair cwc h60 cooler
monitor: dell 22inch full hd LED

Cilus

laborare est orare
Re: Is this a good configration for medium range gaming pc or should I make any changes? plz suggest

No, the configuration is very much unbalanced as well as poor selection for some of the components like Gfx card and PSU.
Fill up the questions present in the THREAD *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html and post it here so that we can suggest you a better config.

OP
C

chetan m

Broken In
Re: Is this a good configration for medium range gaming pc or should I make any changes? plz suggest

No, the configuration is very much unbalanced as well as poor selection for some of the components like Gfx card and PSU.
Fill up the questions present in the THREAD *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html and post it here so that we can suggest you a better config.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: mostly gaming..bf3, codmw, fc3, max payne 3 should be playable without lag at constant 30 fps in high resolution..

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: upto 50..can extend 2-3 k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win 7 ,win 8, ubuntu 11

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: 22 inch full HD, LED

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 20 nov

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: nagpur..if parts are not available here will do online shopping

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: if budget overshoots then i will buy GPU later..

so plz suggest me asap...

Cilus

laborare est orare

ADM FX 8150 @ 11.4K
MSI 970A-GD46 @ 4.6K
G-skill RipjawX 1600 MHz DDR3 4GB X 2 @ 3K
WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA III 6 Gbps 64 MB Cache @ 4.7K
Seasonic Eco 600 600W 85% PSU @ 4.4K
CM Elite 361 Cabinet @ 2.4K
BenQ G2220HDL LED Display @ 7.6K
Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 OC @ 13.5K (Check Mdcomputers.in)

total: 51.6K.

Myth

Cyborg Agent

Great config for 50k :p
But why seasonic over corsair ? I thought you would suggest corsair due to better service.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

Intel Alternative

Intel Core i5 2500K - Rs 12350
Asrock Z77Extreme4 - Rs 9800
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LOW PROFILE 8GB DUAL CHANNEL DDR3 MEMORY KIT ( CML8GX3M2A1600C9) - Rs 2548
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 660 - Rs 14250
HDD - WD 1TB - Rs 4600
SMPS - CORSAIR SMPS-500GS - Rs 4000
Cabinet - NZXT Beta EVO - Rs 2600
Display DELL Full HD LED ST2220 L - Rs 8200

Total : Rs 58348.

Myth

Cyborg Agent

Quite over the budget. A z77 system will always be costlier.
Cilius's config with GPU gtx660 and PSU gs500 ought to be better.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

^^
Over budget offers over performance too. Its not for nothing that it costs Rs 6700 more. 2500K will do better gaming anyday and overclock way way better too.8150 is a non gaming part but yes the supporting chipset price make the 8150 favourable but not necessarily better.

Myth

Cyborg Agent

Both procs are more than sufficient for gaming. It comes down to budget evetually.
A good gpu matters more.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

^^
Check the gaming performance here : AnandTech - Bench - CPU

When we buy a PC we look for the best in that price range and not sufficient .....and then from heaven or hell we try to arrange a few thousand more and get the best out there,so he the buyer should know what he can get for few thousand more, but yes if theres a budget which cant be extended then as before I say it again The chipset price makes 8150 favourable but not necessarily better.

Myth

Cyborg Agent

I am not questioning the 2500k's gaming performance over the 8150, but trying to maintain a balance of what is the requirement and the budget.
The 2500k is defintely a better gaming proc.
Since this comes to stretching the budget so its upto OP actually.

I am not questioning the 2500k's gaming performance over the 8150, but trying to maintain a balance of what is the requirement and the budget.
The 2500k is defintely a better gaming proc.
Since this comes to stretching the budget so its upto OP actually.
hmm correct!!:d

hmm :D

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door

FX is good at this budget....
and at 1080P is doesn't even matter(insert tune here).

vkl

Cyborg Agent

If the OP's primary purpose is gaming and is not that much into heavily multi-threaded tasks like video encoding and encryption
then he can take a locked i5 3rd gen processor like i5 3450/3550 with a b75/h77 motherboard.Fx8150 looks good only if he is too much into heavily multi-threaded things like encoding.

If he wants overclocking and can stretch his budget then The Incinerator's config is quite good.Even an i5 3550 would blow away fx8150 is majority of tasks.
In some heavily multi-threaded tasks they would be close with the fx taking the lead in encoding and encryption while falling behind in some others.
The thing is if one is not into very heavily multi-threaded tasks then fx8150 is not required even if he wants overclocking.

At FHD in most games there won't be any noticeable difference in between the fx8150 and the i5 2500k and once the AA is cranked up the difference is almost gone.
Though at FHD there are few games which are more CPU-bound like civilization 5,skyrim,starcraft 2 and a few more which would be somewhat slower with the fx8150.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door

FX leaves him a path to upgrade in future..intel will pull the plug in 1155 shortly.
and as u said its not going to matter in gaming either way he is good..FX just gives a small edge..

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

Since he is on a budget its better to leave the final call to OP. All we can do is suggest and guide as to what he can buy for his optimal usage.

@sumonpathak

FX leaves him a path to upgrade in future..intel will pull the plug in 1155 shortly.
and as u said its not going to matter in gaming either way he is good..FX just gives a small edge..

Vs

^^^the prices on Intel should come down seeing the overly aggressive pricing on FX 83XX series...
anyhoo..if you are going Intel way.. i would suggest stick with 2500K :p cause No games in the near future will use up more than 4 Cores..had it been the case...Intel would have been kicked in the nuts by now by AMD FX series....as for the GPU stick with AMD...they are releasing Drivers like nobodies business and performance enhancement are pretty good..
if i were you i would have gotten an FX+990 setup...and spend extra cash on big a$$ gpu...and save some :p

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/165129-gaming-rig-around-130k-2.html

Ha ha ha....Its hard to believe its the same person. Its what I call "misleading" since the OPs budget for a few thousand more...... allows him to go the Intel way that he has been preaching in the other thread so confidently and...... correctly indeed.

How short is that short? Can you provide some links as to where you read that. Would love to know.

Last edited:

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door

Haswells have a newer socket..and its slated for mid/late 2013 release AFAIK..so dats the end of 1155.
LGA 1150 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haswell (microarchitecture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

^^ Really......

And Wiki is your source ..!!! :shock: I thought you could do better than that! anyways....
We can still buy LGA775 stuff right ,so technically you are just over reacting. Okay realistically one more, did the LGA 1155 kill the 1156 ...2011 (edit)??? So how do you think the Haswell will doom the LGA 1155 which is just a year old:p... and the 7 series chipset supporting the 1155 debuted April 2012 onwards,and you think they are going to kill the entire line up from proccy to chipset which is not even a year old because of Haswell.....come on dont mislead .And If you are talking real upgrade path Intel is the way forward as OP can go from an i5 to an i7 if at all ....its a known story,aint?

Last edited:

vkl

Cyborg Agent

None of them is a big upgrade for me.
I won't call going from a 2nd gen i5 to 3rd gen i5 a big upgrade.
Now even though fx8350 is a good bit faster than fx8150 but it is also not that big an upgrade if you already own an fx8150.
It doesn't make sense for everyone to pay 12-13k or more for just 7-20% improvement at max.

Last edited:

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door

^^ Really......

And Wiki is your source ..!!! :shock: I thought you could do better than that! anyways....
We can still buy LGA775 stuff right ,so technically you are just over reacting. Okay realistically one more, did the LGA 1155 kill the 1156??? So how do you think the Haswell will doom the LGA 1155 which is just a year old:p... and the 7 series chipset supporting the 1155 out from April 2012,and you think they are going to kill the entire line up from proccy to chipset which is not even a year old because of Haswell.....comon dont mislead .And If you are talking real upgrade path Intel is the way forward as OP can go from an i5 to an i7 ....its known story,aint?

i gave wiki coz its what most ppl will bet their lives on it..if i say i have access to intel docs you will certainly dispute it..wouldn't you?
anyhoo...guess this will suit ur tastes Launch schedule of Intel Haswell processors
just coz u dont like the links or source doesn't mean i am over reacting:)
We tend to know stuff before the masses do.
remember how soon 1156 went into EOL SB was released? around 6 months at most...

Intel pins hopes on Haswell to boost PC sales | ZDNet
22nm Intel Haswell Processor Release Date and Z87, H87 Chipset Details | Lensfire
Intel release Haswell processor in 2013 | New Technology
Can Intel’s Haswell beat AMD’s APU in 2013? | KitGuru

all suggest a release date of mid/late 2013..

Top Bottom