Is our generation ADDICTED to mobile/tablet much?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
I am someone who prefer texting over talking. Is there anyone who is along side me?

very much alongside, may be even ahead of you (have been in the 'lips-shut' mode with the phone since years before whatsapp or android had surfaced)! :D
my reasons for that may differ from yours, but yes, i prefer to talk only if its absolutely essential (and if texting is not viable)! but then, i don't even prefer/want to talk on a landline. same, since many years now.

$hadow

Geek in making
very much alongside, may be even ahead of you (have been in the 'lips-shut' mode with the phone since years before whatsapp or android had surfaced)! :D
my reasons for that may differ from yours, but yes, i prefer to talk only if its absolutely essential (and if texting is not viable)! but then, i don't even prefer/want to talk on a landline. same, since many years now.

And I thought that I was the only ine with this philosophy

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
a woman loses life over people's penchant for snap-clicking and 'social-sharing' crap:

Apathetic Kolkatans take photos but leave accident victim to die - The Times of India

Last edited:

beingGamer

In the zone
I think it's the technology that has become affordable & also due to security reasons parents give children mobiles.
When i was in college in 2003-2006 i was barely given Nokia 3310.
But now a days, the phones are bought for entertainment purpose more.

And yes today we see too many people addicted to mobiles.
Walking on roads with headphone in ears-almost walking like a dumb.

Diseases related to neck are surely coming in future for humans.

Just my thoughts, correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Our generation ? not really. The kids may be, but it doesn't matter. You should introduce them to everything else, be more fun than the tablet. They will be with you. Obviously if you can't get your kid to play they will stick to tablet.
Also kids need other kids to play sports with, then they will certainly dump tablets.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Indian Doctors Warn of Gadget Addiction Consequences

there was also a study published in newspapers some years back about how modern man is a feeble 'version' of his earlier generations, on account of his over-dependence and attachment to tech-toys and technology in general.

Our generation ? not really. The kids may be, but it doesn't matter. You should introduce them to everything else, be more fun than the tablet. They will be with you. Obviously if you can't get your kid to play they will stick to tablet.
Also kids need other kids to play sports with, then they will certainly dump tablets.

agreed! however, the little devils still get opportunities to grab the mobiles/tablets at other times. IMHO they should be (taught to get) exhausted in physical and mental activities from early age, to be left with little energy and interest to spend on such things.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
there was also a study published in newspapers some years back about how modern man is a feeble 'version' of his earlier generations, on account of his over-dependence and attachment to tech-toys and technology in general.

yup. sounds legit. At least the gigantopithecus could have handled smartphones with bigger screens.
*i.imgur.com/ouIJGgp.jpg

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yup. sounds legit. At least the gigantopithecus could have handled smartphones with bigger screens.

hehe. dear giganto looks more like a chimp on gamma-ray medication in the pic, while the sapien looks too fit and agile rather than someone sitting and punching on his laptop-kb like me now. :p

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Last month when I went to railway station I saw a board/notice.It read
"Fix the touch screen of ticket vending machine -DYFI"
The generation gap is creating problems ,as the one who dont use/use less,will find problems with ones using too much.After 20 -30 years everything will be okay :lol:

Adarsh_Gujurati

Right off the assembly line
Yes I agree that the next-gen is addicted to mobile phones and tablets. But the fault lies in the too parenting. The parents should not to let kids or siblings get addicted to devices in very young age.
Things are made to be addictive and attractive in this age. Keeping your siblings away from such an effect is very important for their future. Let them handle such devices only after they attain a specific age, you know, when they mature.
Apart from that, video games can be addictive too. Now there can be many reasons for compulsion for video games, but the best theory I like is that Video Games are made to be won. Say Rohit is a 13 year old boy who plays video games, we will take Call Of Duty MW2, now in real life he is an average kid, but in CoD he is MLG PRO, in school his grades are average but in CoD in every match he pulls up a double digit killstreak, in real life he is not really good at maths or sciences and for this he is punished, in CoD his clanmates hail him as a war hero.

From the above example we can say that Rohit gets:
1.Sense of satisfaction from playing CoD.
2.Sense of Importance from his clansmate.

Now the question comes, should he quit CoD?
Why should he? He is pretty good at it, no one should stop doing what they are good at. He is happy playing CoD and he would not hesitate to play a match or two even if he has to give his finals tomorrow.

On the other hand In Real Life(Short IRL) Rohit is not good at maths or sciences, he is shouted upon and punished. He will have to work hard to get back on track in science or maths plus he might still get abuses for you know trying, I have seen many of my fellow classmates who are weak in maths get punished or abused upon because they really really failed at even trying. They have to do something that makes them happy and in this case, Rohit is sure to play CoD.

For Rohit, CoD is his escape goat from the bad reality he is living in. He plays it because he feels happy, it makes him look badass when he bags in 20 straight kills and dominates the match. His parents won't like because they might not understand why their son plays so much of video game and so they are unable to undermine the root cause.
And very very quickly, Rohit's attention will shift from reality to virtual world of videogames where he lives happily ever after.
And then he becomes an addict.:-(

Oh wait this post is for tablet and mobiles.
Well the above example can be applied to them too.:cool::cool:

Last edited:

Lenny

Journeyman
Most people i see on the train are either playing games, listening to music, watching a movie, reading an article via phone, or texting chatting. I mostly do listening to music and texting / chatting (mainly for the purposes of urgent things needed to attend to).

My point is... yeah. the more gadgets we have or the more we advance in technology, the more people are multitasking - thus less time to have some casual conversation to a stranger. They have so many things to do now.

I would rather spend my time fixing my life, communicating to my friends online than having a short conversation with a stranger on a short period of time.... Unless....

She's a very pretty girl that i don't know of that i couldn't resist knowing her name. :D

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
mobile has revolutionized the way we use it for communication ...much of its credit goes to Steve Jobs () for creating a supercomputer that fits in our pocket. Many years ago who would've thought they could post using an app on their phone to TDF ...and its not limited to kids, grown adults like me are addicted to it

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
haha yeah maybe smartphones are just one of the reasons we don't pick up random conversations. We just don't unless we have something to gain by it

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I read an article on HT paper that 6 months old toddler and above age children are addicted to mobile worrying parents

You will see your imagined dream if solar storm came. Because if there is no phones and laptops then in any generation they will definitely talk to another person. god gave people to love gadjets to use but what we doing we loves gadjets and uses people

Top Bottom