Is my pc infected?

tkin

Back to school!!
How about AVG antivirus 2013 free edition?How does it fare in malware detection and removal as compared to other popular security suites like Avast/avira etc?

I had been using avast 7 for the last couple of months but was compelled to switch to avg recently as the former caused my pc to hang whenever it performed any program update and so I became really frustrated with it-has anyone else experienced the same issue with avast av free edition?
Never, something else was causing that issue, did you update program to latest version?

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
Currently Avira AV+Comodo Firewall+MLBT.
Though I also liked Avast AV+Comodo Firewall+MLBT.

Both the combos are real good. With Avast you won't get those annoying messages to upgrade which are there with Avira. I am also thinking about switching to Avast. :)

Are they all free or paid.. And if paid then cost for single user?? MLTB??

gameranand

Living to Play
They are all freewares.
MLBT = MalwareBytes

Just switched to Avast from Avira BTW. I hope it would serve me well, tweaked the settings to my liking. Man I missed that BTS.

gameranand

Living to Play
Here
Avast AntiVirus
MalwareBytes
Comodo Firewall
Avira AntiVirus

If you need extra protection then you can get Spybot Search & Destroy as well. :)

You see if you are smart enough then you don't have to pay for any software and don't have to pirate them as well. Just use the best freewares, combine them and you got a complete security solution.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
Here
Avast AntiVirus
MalwareBytes
Comodo Firewall
Avira AntiVirus

If you need extra protection then you can get Spybot Search & Destroy as well. :)

You see if you are smart enough then you don't have to pay for any software and don't have to pirate them as well. Just use the best freewares, combine them and you got a complete security solution.

Using too many anti-virus wont hinder with each others performance?? And they have no compatibility issues??

And you sure that moving from Norton Internet Security + MSE to these three will be a good option?? Which one of these should be used as the primary anti-virus for scans??

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
I am not saying you to use both Avira and Avast at one time. I gave link to both because both are equally good for me so take your pick. :)

josin

In the zone
Are they all free or paid.. And if paid then cost for single user?? MLTB??
I have never paid a penny to any Av companies in my life ( well i started using using a Pentium 100 Mhz Cpu in the year 1997) and i don't understand why people pay to Av companies, nobody is safe from a virus infection( read as zero day attack) even if you use the highly priced Av software. then why pay use free ones.I know there are so may of you who will vouch for the paid av software, but just think how many of you will risk running a known zero day infected file in your system with absolute confidence that your paid Av soft will stop the infection with out causeing damage?
All Comodo products (except the one which comes with 500$ zero infection guaranty) are free.Comodo internet Security 2013 comes with a built in Virtual space where you can run any malware/infected files safely. Check it out if you wish

direct download

gameranand

Living to Play
I have never paid a penny to any Av companies in my life ( well i started using using a Pentium 100 Mhz Cpu in the year 1997) and i don't understand why people pay to Av companies, nobody is safe from a virus infection( read as zero day attack) even if you use the highly priced Av software. then why pay use free ones.I know there are so may of you who will vouch for the paid av software, but just think how many of you will risk running a known zero day infected file in your system with absolute confidence that your paid Av soft will stop the infection with out causeing damage?
All Comodo products (except the one which comes with 500$ zero infection guaranty) are free.Comodo internet Security 2013 comes with a built in Virtual space where you can run any malware/infected files safely. Check it out if you wish

direct download

Yeah its called Sandbox. Avast have that too. :)

And you sure that moving from Norton Internet Security + MSE to these three will be a good option?? Which one of these should be used as the primary anti-virus for scans??

Yeah I am pretty much sure. Avast or Avira (depending on your decision) will be used for primary Virus Scans. :)

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Here
Avast AntiVirus
MalwareBytes
Comodo Firewall
Avira AntiVirus

What's the use? I have been using Eset Smart Security for years now. There is a way you can get 4 months free trial..

P.S. You can even avoid using any type of antivirus by being careful on the internet. I don't remember the last time I downloaded a virus. Usually I get viruses from connecting others pendrives.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@josin,zero day viruses/exploits are very costly/effective aka kind of like nukes & you don't use nukes against local street gangs now,do you?zero day attacks are targeted towards highly valuable targets like govt installations(or in case of China,Dalai Lama offices :) ),fortune 500 companies etc & there is almost zero chance that people like you or me will ever see a zero day virus/exploit.

always keep your OS updated along with java(better uninstall it unless absolutely necessary),flash(try to use only on trusted site with default behaviour as blocked),MS office & adobe acrobat(my advice ditch it altogether & use sumatra pdf).if you don't do this then no AV can help you.

now-a-days you don't need to download viruses.simply open a page(& i mean just open,no clicks etc) & if your system has some vulnerability(like those i mentioned above) your pc will get infected by an almost untraceable rootkit.

gameranand

Living to Play
What's the use? I have been using Eset Smart Security for years now. There is a way you can get 4 months free trial..

P.S. You can even avoid using any type of antivirus by being careful on the internet. I don't remember the last time I downloaded a virus. Usually I get viruses from connecting others pendrives.

Well I don't like Trial softwares. Also the combination I gave is lightest on the resources + very small updates. They are like install and forget, though Firewall will always bother you, but that should be the case with Firewall.
As for careful surfing, if you just visit some particular sites then its alright but for me its not, because I visit some new site everyday and I don't know whether its really safe or not. Why take risk then.

@josin,zero day viruses/exploits are very costly/effective aka kind of like nukes & you don't use nukes against local street gangs now,do you?zero day attacks are targeted towards highly valuable targets like govt installations(or in case of China,Dalai Lama offices :) ),fortune 500 companies etc & there is almost zero chance that people like you or me will ever see a zero day virus/exploit.

always keep your OS updated along with java(better uninstall it unless absolutely necessary),flash(try to use only on trusted site with default behaviour as blocked),MS office & adobe acrobat(my advice ditch it altogether & use sumatra pdf).if you don't do this then no AV can help you.

now-a-days you don't need to download viruses.simply open a page(& i mean just open,no clicks etc) & if your system has some vulnerability(like those i mentioned above) your pc will get infected by an almost untraceable rootkit.

Exactly. Though MS updates are not really necessary for me, I do the work around and make do. :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^only install MS windows security updates.they are only ~10-15mb at most released once a month(between 10-15th of the month).in absence of these updates your pc is at risk.e.g."some of this vulnerabilities can allow unauthenticated remote users to take control of your pc"(MS own description) which essentially means anyone on internet can hack your pc using this vulnerability.these are the must have fixes which need to be applied.

tkin

Back to school!!
Here
Avast AntiVirus
MalwareBytes
Comodo Firewall
Avira AntiVirus

This was good earlier, new version is a mess, to configure or to use, can't catch a thing, I thing the scan engine is broken,, MBAM works better.

ratul

█████████████████
MBAM is best malware killer.. :D
and combine it with a good av, and your pc is well protected against most of the viruses out there...

Top Bottom