Status
Not open for further replies.
i assembled my system a 4months ago, i buy a 80gb seagate sata hdd.my assemebler says never convert newer drives to ntfs system instead convert them to fat,try to convery after sometime,but then i reinstall os ,is it safe now to convert into NTFS file system.he says if u convert it early u will never be able to erase ur hdd.is he idiot.

mediator

Technomancer
Well most assemblers are hardware experts, dont know anything about OS functionalities or softwares!
Mtnl ppl who came to myplace to install broadband...I asked them how to install this thing on Linux..They said,"Whats Linux?".cool huh! "So feel like GOD and forgive em" ! (Slogan from that bike ad! )
Neways my recommendation is not to go for NTFS as I have faced numerous problems with NTFS like hidden partitions with NTFS cozing windows not to boot up, succeeded by formatting of PC!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
NTFS gives no problems watsoever and time is not a factor of filesystem format... :|

But if u use a boot disk often, u need a boot-cd for NTFS specially...

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
i myself have a 80 GB SATA drive and from the very beginning I have converted it to NTFS....n my dear....haven't faced any problems as yet ....n for that matter...I feel its better than FAT32...

champ_rock

champ_rock
if that was the case then microsoft would have been shut up by now..... (viruses creating so much prob.. and then here comes ntfs giving prob :))

i have created ntfs on both my old and new disks... never got any problem

kumarmohit

Technomancer
nvidiasingh2006mb said:
i assembled my system a 4months ago, i buy a 80gb seagate sata hdd.my assemebler says never convert newer drives to ntfs system instead convert them to fat,try to convery after sometime,but then i reinstall os ,is it safe now to convert into NTFS file system.he says if u convert it early u will never be able to erase ur hdd.is he idiot.
Yes becoz as per QM filesystem has no concerns in the regard of time

Kniwor

Learner
nvidiasingh2006mb said:

he deserves to be called an idiot.......

this is purely illogical..

manmay

Journeyman
i formated my hdd from the start to ntfs and its better becoz the fragmentation is less than fat32...so defragmentation is faster and needed less often...
that's my view....
cheers

janitha

Wise Old Owl
manmay said:
i formated my hdd from the start to ntfs and its better becoz the fragmentation is less than fat32...so defragmentation is faster and needed less often...
that's my view....
cheers

Same in my case also!

V.Prem Kumar

bit

Banned
You don't need NTFS, if you don't use its features such as encryption, compression, user-permissions.

On FAT32, maximum size a file can be is 4GB. But in NTFS a file can be as large as its Partition size. So if you want to work with DVD ISO images then you may need a NTFS partition with larger than 5GB.

(Disk journaling ?)
NTFS maintains a log while committing changes to filesystem. It uses this log in case of power failure or other system problems to repair and maintain integrity of file system. On other hand, FAT32 lacks this feature and runs chkdsk or scandisk when system is restarted.

It is false that NTFS gets less defragmented. No file system is free from fragmentation and IMO NTFS gets fragmented more than FAT32.
Yes, Defragmentaion softwares such as diskeeper defrags NTFS file system more quickly than FAT32. Because Diskeeper just defrags files on NTFS but on FAT32 it places recently accessed files in begining of the partition, hence it takes longer to finish the job. But PerfectDisk and some other does not work in this way and takes as much as time it takes for NTFS to complete the job.

It is natural that M$ recommends NTFS over FAT32, because of its security.

rachitar

Journeyman
bit said:
It is false that NTFS gets less defragmented. No file system is free from fragmentation and IMO NTFS gets fragmented more than FAT32.

Well i think there are 2 types of fragmentation - Internal and External just like with Main Memory.
In Internal Fragmentation:
FAT - Partitions above 16GB has a cluster size of 16kb.If you have a notepad file of say 1kb,like many windows/system/log files you will be wasting disk space.It may not seem much but it get accumulated over a period of time.

NTFS - cluster size is user defined

::vicky::

In the zone
nvidiasingh2006mb said:
my assemebler says never convert newer drives to ntfs system instead convert them to fat

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i cant stop laughing .........no dude u can convert to ntfs very first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom