Is gaming on a phone is a pleasurable experiance

Aakarshan

In the zone
I am that type of guy who do whatsapp,internet surfing,and some calls.Moto E can fulfill my needs.
But i am going to buy sony xperia SP.Because of gaming.My friends are insisting me to buy Xperia SP.
Is gaming on a phone is a pleasurable experiance?Thanx

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If warranty is of no concern, then get Lg Optimus G (AT&T) from ebay instead of Xperia SP.
Moto E plays Asphalt 8 good as reported by other members, but 4.3 inch screen may be a problem (or may not be if you are used to playing games on a 3" phone).

(love the graphics on Asphalt 7, Dead Trigger 1, 2, IGAU, The Walking Dead)

PS: Fill this up- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/134349-questionnaire-mobile-phone-purchase-queries.html

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Gaming on a phone? I don't know what type of gamers are there who like to game on a phone, however big the display is, however strong the hardware is. My last three phones were S4, Note 2 and S2, and I have played Angry Birds and Flappy Birds in past three years. However I am a person who finds gaming on laptop crazy too! It's the total set up that's what good about gaming. But maybe there are less serious / occasional gamers, who just want to kill some time, so if you are like that okay.

But as a whole about gaming on a phone all I can think about this, :facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
Gaming on a phone? I don't know what type of gamers are there who like to game on a phone, however big the display is, however strong the hardware is. My last three phones are S4, Note 2 and S2, and I have played Angry Birds and Flappy Birds in past three years. However I am a person who finds gaming on laptop crazy too! It's the total set up that's what good about gaming. But maybe there are less serious / occasional gamers, who just want to kill some time, so if you are like that okay.

But as a whole about gaming on a phone all I can think about this, :facepalm:
Nope I'm not whole about gaming on a phone,
I used to play some game on my laptop.I'm just a type of occasional gamer.
Need a phone but don't know that is gaming on a phone is good enough or not.
I had saw some videos of Modern Combat 4 on YT.and found them interesting.
But don't know how is the experiance,is spending 20K on a phone worth or not.I can settle with Moto E.(Currently using xperia E).

- - - Updated - - -

1. Budget?

2. Display type and size?
AMOLED OR IPS With Gorilla Glass Protection

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
BAR

4. Preferred choice of brand?
SONY, MOTO

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
TOUCH

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
I don't use camera too much a 5MP shooter will be enough.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3G,4G, Wi-fi, NFC, DLNA, OTG

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Whatsapp,Internet surfing, Taking calls,Occasional gaming.

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Xperia SP, MOTO G, MOTO E.

12. Any other info that you want to share
Want a phone which score 10,000 on antutu,Should have Adreno 305+ Gpu.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
only for games that are good on touchscreens
world of goo, plague inc, anomaly warzone, plants vs zombies, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP are good. other high rated games such as deus ex, injustice, nfs most wanted not so much

Hrishi

I don't find gaming on a touchscreen device pleasurable enough , specially when there are no hardware keys involved and the smaller the screen the worse it becomes.
I have Optims G , still I don't prefer to game. ( though I can vouch for its gaming abilities , its pretty good in its class. Adreno 320 , S4 krait , damn good display and response and loud sound.!!)
I have played Asphalt 8, NFSMW,Dead Trigger 2 , ShadowGun , and Modern Combat 3 ( I think it was 4 ) , and several other heavy games and it didn't lagged at all. (,since Xperia SP too has same adreno 320 so it shouldn't be a problem. Although it lacks the better and more powerful krait cores.)

I prefer gaming on a mainstream laptop (15.5" or higher ) and love it when I do it on a desktop.
For gaming the better and powerful your setup is the more you'll enjoy.

Sarath

iDota
I am that type of guy who do whatsapp,internet surfing,and some calls.Moto E can fulfill my needs.
But i am going to buy sony xperia SP.Because of gaming.My friends are insisting me to buy Xperia SP.
Is gaming on a phone is a pleasurable experiance?Thanx

yes it can be, if the game is right. At the end of the day its the quality of the game that makes it a pleasurable experience not the number of pixels. I have seen many people enjoy playing on their smartphones despite owning gaming consoles or a decent PC.

For my gaming needs, I've a laptop.....

I use my phone for browsing internet, chatting, calls, listening to music, casual gaming (in that order). I just play games for time pass & i usually play hill climb racing, 2048,stick cricket (which aren't graphic intensive). The only graphics intensive games which i have are GT racing 2 & virtua tennis.

So, i guess Moto G 16gb should be good enough for you (if you are ok with 12.5gb storage). You will save some money. Xperia SP is a great phone for 18k, no doubt. It has better camera & GPU compared to G.

That LG optimus G AT&T version is like a Nexus 4 with sd card slot. But beware, it has dimensions different from international optimus G.

- - - Updated - - -

For my gaming needs, I've a laptop.....

I use my phone for browsing internet, chatting, calls, listening to music, casual gaming (in that order). I just play games for time pass & i usually play hill climb racing, 2048,stick cricket (which aren't graphic intensive). The only graphics intensive games which i have are GT racing 2 & virtua tennis.

So, i guess Moto G 16gb should be good enough for you (if you are ok with 12.5gb storage). You will save some money. Xperia SP is a great phone for 18k, no doubt. It has better camera & GPU compared to G.

That LG optimus G AT&T version is like a Nexus 4 with sd card slot. But beware, it has dimensions different from international optimus G.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I dont really enjoy gaming on a mobile . It is for casual gaming for me like temple run, subway surfers. On the other hand, i really enjoy gaming on tablets. A big screen makes a huge difference.

.jRay.

Youngling
I enjoy racing games as motion controls are fun. Fps and tps are not at all fun. The only fun part in gaming on phone is motion control.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
only for games that are good on touchscreens
world of goo, plague inc, anomaly warzone, plants vs zombies, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP are good. other high rated games such as deus ex, injustice, nfs most wanted not so much

NFS Most Wanted is amazing... even better experience than on a pc... Little Stars for Little Wars 2 is a super duper time killer... Deus Ex is unplayable with onscreen touch controls...

Roopatg

Broken In
I guess sony xperia is one the best phone products.I have a good experience with this mobile set.

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
it also depends upon the game.. ofcousre playing fps on mobile isn't great because of touch controls but that doesn't mean it is not fun..

uite long ago i played Nova 1 on htc explorer and absolutely loved it , it was very good with aim assist ... takes a bit of getting use to at first but then it was super enjoyable as far as mobile gaming can offer.. freeze + shotgun is a great combination in that game

Then played dead trigger, modern combat , shadowgun even though these are much more famous but they were never good and i never enjoyed playing them at all.. shadowgun was a pain to complete.

but nova 1 was awesome just experience that game ..

FIFA's are super fun , and very much enjoyable and gets addictive too..

racing , swipe based games ofcourse are smartphones forte..

moto E can handle majority of high end games of today .. i would say get Moto E instead and save some bucks.. i would say even those that will be launching this year will also work just fine on moto E .. as OEM are busy in increansing resolution on Phones and reaching crazy PPI .. so they are not focusing on gaming.. that means older hardware will be supported for much longer for newer games..

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
smartphone forte is actually strategy, puzzle and tower defence

consoles and pc have realism and immersion, dedicated hand held gaming consoles have exclusive titles and tactile feedback. So compared to these alternatives, mobile phones sucks for all games that are not especially good on touchscreen.

ankush28

Bazinga

consoles and pc have realism and immersion, dedicated hand held gaming consoles have exclusive titles and tactile feedback. So compared to these alternatives, mobile phones sucks for all games that are not especially good on touchscreen.

I agree with this!
I don't have a single game on my phone as of now. Apart from racing and casual games, most popular shooter and rpg titles sucks. I love playing fps games(CS :p , CoD4, CoD BO, PointBlank.....) on my laptop. The main reason is better controls.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
headed over to metacritic, to compare scores to see if ratings were higher for any games on mobiles

world of goo's score on mobile - 96, is six points higher than score on pc - 90, and two points above wii - 94
Anomaly: Warzone Earth on mobile is a 94, but 80 for pc, 78 for ps3 and 79 on x360
Bastion is 94 on mobile, 86 on PC and 86 on x360
Jet Car Stunts is 94 on mobile and 54 on PC - ok this could be taken as racing games good on mobile, or that mobile racing games are no fun on other platforms
Limbo difference is less, 88 on PC, 89 on vita, 89 on mobile, 90 on ps3, 90 on x360
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is 86 on mobile and 83 on PC

at this point realized there was simpler way to draw conclusion, mobile games are not likely to feature on top in a list of all games on all platforms for all time

imo jetpack joyride, tiny death star, radiant defense are all more fun on PC

rish1

Cyborg Agent

you misunderstood what i was saying ,

ofcourse mobile gaming is no where near the level of even handheld consoles in terms of Quality let alone PC class..
there is no comparison here ..

would you be playing subway surfer on a pc/console ? atleast i wouldn't not in these days.. though when Pepsi Man came out it was fun on consoles as well but it was long ago ..

swipe based games are a very big success and actually provides very addictive gaming experience on touchscreen..

wheres FPS games are made to show off graphics

what i am hoping in future would be ,that More OEM start bundling gaming accessories that can be attached to smartphones..
right now they are very bulky ... but some slim add on game pads can really make big difference..

even a simple setup with D pad and 4 buttons will greatly enhance the gaming experience ..

More smartphones Like Xperia Play should also be developed now..

Top Bottom