Is ebay trustworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amol48

Searching...
I just came across a used Dell XPS 1530 on ebay which the seller has listed on sale for just Rs.11,000. It's about 10 months old. He has also posted pics of the same. He claims to be from Noida but is a new member with 0 feedback ratings.

I just wanted to know, in case if I went ahead with this purchase with paisa-pay method, is there any way that I am guaranteed safety of my money? I read at many places that even with paisa-pay, sellers scam by giving fake courier numbers and sending empty boxes.

You can check the item here: *cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170317597626

or alternatively by it's item number: 170317597626

Is there any way I can confirm the sellers physical address or identity? I don't want to get into that endless spiral of emails with seller, ebay and police complaints! :(

P.S. Can anyone from TDF who is from Noida pick it up for me and ship it please? I am ready to pay for your services too :)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I was composing a detailed reply when I checked the listing and saw that it had ended a few minutes earlier. Was it you who bought it?

OP
A

amol48

Searching...
Nope.. it wasn't me...But it really smells some scam here. The buyer also ha no reputation and is a new member!

Thank god I didn go for the purchase.

P.Ss. The same seller is also selling one iPod Touch 8GB for 11K only.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
if something looks too good to be true, it probably is'nt
Not necessarily. Although some people use your version, mine is more common among English-speaking people. It means that if something LOOKS or SOUNDS too good to be true, it probably IS too good to be true.

When someone doubts the genuineness of something that sounds too good to be true, and later finds out that it is not true, he may say "Oh well, it was too good to be true".

utsav

damn busy...
Not necessarily. Although some people use your version, mine is more common among English-speaking people. It means that if something LOOKS or SOUNDS too good to be true, it probably IS too good to be true.

When someone doubts the genuineness of something that sounds too good to be true, and later finds out that it is not true, he may say "Oh well, it was too good to be true".

Ur english was correct in dat post.

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
Check the reputation or feedback of seller, before buying.

Checking the reputation of feedback is important but some buyers leave irrelevant feedback like the one I got.

I sold a DVD to someone but unfortunately as per the buyer the DVD did not work for some reason. The DVD had a 7 day replacement warranty. First of all the guy did not confirm the item receipt on ebay nor replied to my emails confirming that he had received the item...so I don't know if he received the item or not. Secondly instead of making use of the warranty or contacting me, he left a negative feedback directly on ebay. I contacted him and told him that I would give him a replacement even after the feedback but he said he still wont change the feedback. So its not just the seller who is in fault. If you are lucky you will get good stuff and if your luck is bad the anything can happen.

Here is the feedback the guy left for me

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I've bought a lot of things from eBay. Most of them were satisfying, but I also had a few bad experiences. Both sellers and buyers have valid reasons for complaint on eBay.

As rajivnedungadi said, the feedback system is not perfect. I've never received a negative feedback, but got two neutral ones in the days when it was still Baazee.com. The first one was because of a slight miscommunication that was easily sorted out.

The other neutral feedback I received was like this: The seller kept finding an excuse to raise the price again and again AFTER the auction ended and I won the item (which is totally against the rules).

Not wanting to appear unreasonable, I agreed the first two times. But on the third raise, I had had enough and told him I no longer wanted to buy the item and proposed that we mutually cancel the deal. He would not agree and reported me to Baazee. And he had the nerve to give me a neutral feedback with a strong negative wording.

Baazee gave me a warning, but they removed it when I told them what the seller had tried to pull. In those days, Baazee responded person-to-person to emails. They decided that I was justified in refusing to buy the item under the circumstances. But the feedback remained.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom