Is Dell FX5200 AGP Win 7 compatable?

bukaida

In the zone
My onboard video Intel Extreme graphics 2 on Intel 865GBF is not supported by win 7 and it is not possible to go for an upgrade of 10-12 K at this moment. One of the E-Bay site is selling Dell NVidia FX 5200-128MB ( 2nd hand @ Rs1400) which he claims to be compatible with win 7 ( No ready made driver, have to use Vista driver). How far the information is correct? Will I go for it? The main purpose of this machine is to browse the net and movie/multimedia. No gaming. It will be connected to Dell 2030 LED monitor. The present system has 3GB DDR 400 RAM with P4 2.4/1MB/533MHz CPU. It has only AGP slot, so hardly have other alternatives.

That is a super super old card. You can get new cards for as low as 2k. Try to get used Nvidia 9600GT. You can get this easily for ~1.2k.

Op The best available AGP cards from nvidia 7800 series and 7900 series..
Best AMD cards are 3000 series and 4000 series, try for a 4650 agp or 4670 agp. You may find brand new 4650 agp in e-bay. I had recently bought one for 3.5k from ebay india

Also remember to use only 10.12 or 11.1 AGP hotfix drivers for windows 7.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
instead of spending 3.5k on an ancient gpu, it is better to invest a little more and get a G2010+H61 Mobo (~6k)..
The processor is capable, and has Intel HD 2500 which is better than most AGP cards..
Plus you will also get a PCIE slot for future upgrades

Although I agree with upgrading to G2010+H61 Mobo (~6k), if money is constraint then buying a 4650 is better coz it helps play most of the games, I can even play borderlands with full settings at 1080 res using the card. And if you are lucky enough to find a 3850 or 4670 or better still a 3870, it will perform same or better than the HD 2500 I think

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
My onboard video Intel Extreme graphics 2 on Intel 865GBF is not supported by win 7 and it is not possible to go for an upgrade of 10-12 K at this moment. One of the E-Bay site is selling Dell NVidia FX 5200-128MB ( 2nd hand @ Rs1400) which he claims to be compatible with win 7 ( No ready made driver, have to use Vista driver). How far the information is correct? Will I go for it? The main purpose of this machine is to browse the net and movie/multimedia. No gaming. It will be connected to Dell 2030 LED monitor. The present system has 3GB DDR 400 RAM with P4 2.4/1MB/533MHz CPU. It has only AGP slot, so hardly have other alternatives.
Time to upgrade your PC or switch to Linux. No point in spending Rs. 1400 for FX 5200. It is a more than 10 year old card. He should be selling it for Rs. 150 to 300.

The main purpose is to browse net and see movies anyway, so Linux is fine.

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
Although I agree with upgrading to G2010+H61 Mobo (~6k), if money is constraint then buying a 4650 is better coz it helps play most of the games, I can even play borderlands with full settings at 1080 res using the card. And if you are lucky enough to find a 3850 or 4670 or better still a 3870, it will perform same or better than the HD 2500 I think
The purpose of this machine is to watch movies and browsing. There is no intention to play any games ( I have a PS3). The machine is doing fine with the above task but it is under win XP. The machine is used by my Dad. So he will not be moving to linux at the age of 75 :). The up-gradation is out of question. I want to switch to Win 7 because Microsoft is removing the support from win XP. I just want to make it run to win 7 and with 2.8GHz processor and 3GB RAM, I donot think it will cause any trouble except the display. My father also does some DTP jobs on MS Word. So shifting to linux also will hamper that which he surely won't agree.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the last available driver available for FX 5200 is of win vista's which should work fine with win 7 if installed in compatibility mode but M$ driver for for onboard 865 igp should work fine for movie watching and MS office works ... just give it a try.

BTW, I still own a FX 5200 and here's some teaser ;) .. just assembled the old rig and took a few screenies for fun :D

*i.imgur.com/PUVrecr.png

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
the last available driver available for FX 5200 is of win vista's which should work fine with win 7 if installed in compatibility mode but M$ driver for for onboard 865 igp should work fine for movie watching and MS office works ... just give it a try.

Already tried 865 with the last driver version available for it. But it is freezing within a short time even without Aero theme. Only vga mode is working. :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no win7 or win vista driver for 865 AFAIK sans MS's native win7 driver for 865 .... and Aero ? 865 IGP doesn't even meet the minimum system requirement for win aero.

Top Bottom