iPhone 3G's true cost is $1,237!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ We know that, dude. But what's the use unlocking it before 2 years after you have paid 2 year rentals.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Just to clarify, committing to a two-year contract doesn’t mean paying the rental for two years in advance. It only means that you sign a legally binding contract that you cannot surrender your connection within that timeframe. If you do, AT&T can and will crack down on you with a lawsuit. You’re still going to be paying the bills each month only though.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I absolutely do not approve of the fact that the iPhone will be a locked device and you’ll be forced to choose from a meager selection of tariff options and stick with the cellular operator for two years.

This system has so far not existed in India, thankfully, but the iPhone is set to change that. I had a little conversation with David Pogue about it, New York Times technology columnist and CBS news correspondent, and he agreed that the system was all about ripping customers off in the U.S.A. and that India was much better off.

That’s one of the reasons why I’m satisfied with my 1st gen iPhone, even though I paid a lot more for it than people who buy the locked iPhone 3G will. I get to use it with Airtel and Vodafone or any other carrier I choose and with any plan I want, both prepaid and postpaid.

There’s no point in throwing that point in again and again—I know it’s wrong.
Start paying attention. It’s not very difficult.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
The iphone will come in a 1 year plan with airtel and vodaphone..and reportedly will cost as high as 32000...But i personally don't understand as to why the new iphone has been priced higher than its predecessor in spite of moving back to cheap plastic from alumunium..HSPDA and gps are new additions but Apple should not have compromised on the build quality IMO..thats their selling point and they should have stuck to it..Imagine an ipod with a plastic body..sucks big time.

The iphone has been released in France unlocked at 480 euroes...I would rather get myself an C702 and a ipod touch at that price..the best of both worlds..

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
isn't that wrong & extorsion?

That's how 95% of the connections sell in the UK/US/Continental Europe. While it's wrong, it's the norm in a lot of countries worldwide.

One of the main things that people don't realize is that sim-only tariffs in US/UK are not cheaper.. infact you get a very bad deal with them. For example, I pay £20/month for a sim only monthly contract, and get significantly lesser minutes and free texts than say the £30 iPhone plan that will have more minutes, and more texts; and will bundle in iPhone at a price of £99.

Unlocked phones here are crazily expensive. The Nokia N95 sells at a price of around £300 unlocked.

Infact, when you compare the locked Nokia N95 tariffs with the proposed iPhone 3G tariffs on o2, you'll find that they're very similar. T-mobile might have cheaper tariffs, but their service is so bad that it's not worth using it. Vodafone and Orange are on par with o2, and 3 is more expensive because of their superior network.

Pathik

Google Bot
News: You can get the iPhone for $199, pay the 1st month $70 rental and then cancel your subscription for $175 and keep your 3G iPhone to unlock it later.
So the price becomes $445.

Don’t bother. It will be a rehashing of the following:
1. SMS;
2. Bluetooth;
3. Video recording; and
4. Copy-paste.

On the AppleInsider forum, in one of the threads where they were discussing the iPhone and cribbing about the $10 increase, one guy who’d unlocked his iPhone, thrown away the AT&T SIM card and voided the warranty commented something in the lines of (not his exact words), “Dudes. You’re all such crybabies. I’m using EDGE on T-Mobile on my iPhone right now and it’s <expletive> slow and I pay <expletive> $30 per month to them, that too with a limit of 500MB. You guys get to buy an iPhone for $199, use <expletive> unlimited 3G for the same price and you’re cribbing about it. Get a life.” He used a lot of F-words, so his post was deleted (they do allow one or two though) but T-Mobile does have a plan with a 500MB limit for $30, so I guess he was being truthful (he is known for being an Apple fanboy though).

Also, Blackberry users have to pay $40 for EDGE/3G access and that too capped. So how are AT&T’s plans not reasonably priced? They used to be the most inexpensive at $20 and now that they have 3G, they brought the pricing more in line with the rest of the market ($20 was a special plan only for iPhone users).

I really don’t see anything wrong here. Of course, when Airtel and Vodafone’s plans are revealed, we’ll be able to judge it more appropriately.
Don't you get the damn bitter truth ?

Not everyone want to buy the iPhone for use as a device similar to BlackBerry. When you are looking at a phone for 8k in India, most people buy it for telephone plans at around Rs. 500/- per month. And this damn contract business doesn't suit India and it should be BANNED by law.

iPhone has INTERNET CAPABILITIES AND BLUETOOTH(or is it wifi ?) for crying out loud. Its better to use those services by a standard modem adapter at home.

And Mobile phone internet plans also exist.

Airtel has a plan for unlimited internet access at 112kbps for Rs. 20/- a day or Rs. 120/- per week. This either over phone or via using phone as modem. Its such services which the standard Indian customer desires.

Not your blueberry or brownrose or what ever bullshit that exists. Those are not for the people who like to buy something at 10k.

Infact, people would have been VERY happy if the iPhone 8GB came unlocked with any plan being usable at around 15K. There would have been no objections, and only compliments to Apple for such a move.

Why The Fu*k do you think all aam admies in India will be willing to pay an a$$load for 3G access ?

If I am not much mistaken, Steve Jobs has this plan only for US and UK. I know he is a big genius. He is not the type of guy who is going to market iPhone the same way in India as in the US. He may charge us double but with Freedom. A price for Freedom is welcome.

Mr. Jobs' past activities, when he brought the company he was kicked out from which was going underground back to the top is enough to prove that he can't possibly make the Phone plan for 2 years cost five times the phone itself. At the most, there will be some standard stuff bundled for 2 years, where the user may even get to choose from a bunch of plans.

This bolded part I am considering true provided Steve Jobs still has his old brains with him.

goobimama

 Macboy
>>>perhaps he just bought the phone as an entertainment gadget
>>>perhaps there is another phone with him for making "real" calls
>>>perhaps there is some other reason with him
>>>perhaps he only needs to receive calls, not make them
>>>so don't ask why he does such a thing

1. There is the iPod Touch which already serves this purpose.
2. What does this mean!
3. Which is?
4. That is something you just can't get out of a locked carrier situation. Thankfully we didn't have to go through with that. I hope in future they do sell unlocked iPhones for a higher price cause I sure will like to buy the next iteration.

And as for that Car vs Phone argument you guys have got going there, you must understand, there is no such thing as talktime efficiency. You either pay per minute or you don't. So whether you have a 1100 or an iPhone, the call costs are going to be the same, as are the subscription rates.

Also, the Indica is a crap car.

News: You can get the iPhone for $199, pay the 1st month $70 rental and then cancel your subscription for $175 and keep your 3G iPhone to unlock it later.
So the price becomes $445.
Thanks for telling these guys what I knew all along pathik.

What I predicted was the news:D

@aayush:

please never again compare blackberry services and say atnt scheme is worth it.
you are comparing an extremely overpriced thing to a slightly less extremely over priced thing, thats all.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Yes let me mention again.
LOCKING Phones it more towards illegal side of matters in many countries except US.

Its only that no LAW has been enforced by the respective Telecom Departments of the Respective Countries !

So if some one unlocks and breaks the contract, Neither Apple nor Operator can do anything.
Unless the Its a Real Contract, Like a bond, where you agree to pay all money or something like that.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iPhone 3G: The "Total Cost of Ownership" Argument

Read that.

Now, to put things into more of a perspective, consider the fact that the Nokia N800, which is basically just the MobileSafari part of the iPhone in a larger, fatter, uglier, non-Multi-touch powered and less user friendly package, retails for $300. Yup, that’s $300 just to be able to browse the Internet on-the-go. The iPhone does that better than the Nokia N800 and so much more for $199.

It’s all about perspective.

P.S.: I would love nothing more than the iPhone to be freakin’ expensive and for people to not buy it due to that. But it just ain’t so (much to my dismay).

x3060

A LOTR fan
am waiting for iphone to be launched cheaply , it would bring down the price of HTC diamond pro
and i may be able to upgrade from 3400...:)
am sticking with "windows mobile" for now.i really love the 3400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom