IP header field

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshar

Broken In
If we are usign a raw socket to access IP layer directly from the application layer bypassing the transport layer, I wonder what the PROTOCOL field in the header of an IP packet will contain.

Any experts know this?

mediator

Technomancer
WHat do u mean by raw socket? ANd how can u bypass transport layer? U cannot defy the working of TCP/IP protocol suite!
Even when u use loop back address the packet goes to network layer. So please elaborate clearly so that I can ponder over it!

OP
A

akshar

Broken In
Forget the concept of raw socket.

have you heard of OSPF a routing protocol? It used IP directly without using either TCP/IP

It is possible to bypass these layers as per my knowledge using UNIX sockets you can even talk to Data link layer directly. I.e. you will have to design your own protocols in that case :)

But I am happy that there is someone who is interested in deep knowledge of TCP/IP. I hope I ll get a good solution from you.

mediator

Technomancer
Yea man I know about Open Shortest path first!

akshar said:
It used IP directly without using either TCP/IP
Nops. That will rip off the whole TCP/IP protocol suite and foundation of internet! The thing u shud understand is
1. OSPF is a routing protocol. And all routing protocols work at network layer
2. IP is an integral part of TCP/IP. If there was only IP then there wud have been no concept of file downloadings! We have to associate TCP with IP for that!

akshar said:
It is possible to bypass these layers as per my knowledge using UNIX sockets you can even talk to Data link layer directly. I.e. you will have to design your own protocols in that case
Have u heard of OSI model?? And why only 5 of its layers are used in practical TCP/IP model?? OSI is the complete thing theoretically! But practically its 2 layers aren't of much use practically. Hence we have TCP/IP suite, a practical model. So even if u develop ur own models, u may be combining the tasks of the layers. But theoretically and practically speaking, u can't bypass any of the layers.

If u wanna get a good detail of it then read TCP/IP or Telecommunication networks by Forouzan! :)

Last edited:
OP
A

akshar

Broken In
Ok. Mr. Mediator I am very glad that you paid so much attention to my question. If you have access to the book UNIX network programming by STEVENS Volume 1, read the chapter no. two. Also go through its exercise from where I got my question.

I perfectly understood what you are trying to say and that is what I use to think. But that is not the situation precisely.

mediator

Technomancer
Fine, I'll go thru it wheneva I'll have the time. And Mr.Akshar forget the Richard Stevens, and read Forouzan in detail. Its all u need to make ur concepts crystal clear. SO read it and then tell whats the situation precisely.

OP
A

akshar

Broken In
I have read Forouzan many times and I don't think my concepts are weak. If you doubt that my question was not so clear check Stevens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom