Internet Explorer 10 Platform Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
The Platform preview one for Internet Explorer 10 is now available for download. It's been one year when Platform preview one for IE was released. Today Platform Preview one for Internet Explorer 10 has been made available for download. Microsoft built IE9 from the ground up for HTML5 and for Windows to deliver the most native HTML5 experience and the best Web experience on Windows. IE10 continues on IE9’s path, directly using what Windows provides and avoiding abstractions, layers, and libraries that slow down your site and your experience. Today only Windows 7 with IE 9 supports native experience of the web and HTML5. Internet Explorer 9 was released almost four weeks ago for consumers. IE 9 is considered a Fast, trusted and clean browser.

Source : TCN

Download : *go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9739661

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hmm.. IE 10!
But what's making me stop to even try that? Oh yeah, incompatibilities with own legacy OS like XP!

OP
shantanu

shantanu

Technomancer
It's Microsoft's commitment to its customers and consumers all over the world. They show how dedicated they are to technology and upgradation.

@vineet369 : I wonder you didnt ask for compatiblity with Windows 95 ? Xp Was a great OS and still is. It's time to move on.

Tech&ME

Banned
Hmm.. IE 10!
But what's making me stop to even try that? Oh yeah, incompatibilities with own legacy OS like XP!

Win 7 and XP are very different hence the compatibility issue.

It's Microsoft's commitment to its customers and consumers all over the world. They show how dedicated they are to technology and upgradation.

@vineet369 : I wonder you didnt ask for compatiblity with Windows 95 ? Xp Was a great OS and still is. It's time to move on.

YES!! it is time to move on....... to newer versions and technologies.

But considering XP is still used in most of the offices and household, some upgrade to IE 8 is really required in XP !!

MS has stoped support for XP only to push win 7 sales! "Sales Fundas"

OP
shantanu

shantanu

Technomancer
Every product has end of life, so did XP. So enforcing sales or better upgraded envoirment is the right approach.

I can understand if there are some problems with XP & IE8. If you have some particular issue you can tell me, I can try and forward your feedback to Microsoft.

Tech&ME

Banned
Every product has end of life, so did XP. So enforcing sales or better upgraded envoirment is the right approach.

I can understand if there are some problems with XP & IE8. If you have some particular issue you can tell me, I can try and forward your feedback to Microsoft.

Thank you!

But since MS has already discontinued any development for XP, any feedback is useless now.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Problem? Well, there's no "particular" issue with IE, but I just want to know, why such great browsers like Chrome, Firefox and Opera run on XP flawlessly, and why can't IE?

I really appreciate Microsoft for driving innovation forward, but they should atleast think for the users who for some reasons, can't upgrade to 7. Why is it so hard to have backward compatibility. Well, I know the reason: just as Tech&ME said, "Sales Fundas!"

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I wonder you didnt ask for compatiblity with Windows 95 ? Xp Was a great OS and still is. It's time to move on.

XP has been EOLed? That's news to me. :rolleyes:
AFAIK Windows XP is STILL SUPPORTED till 2014 when it meets its EOL. So not quite the time to move on really.
It's pathetic that Microsoft cannot update their own software for their own product which is STILL supported and people PAID for that.
Windows 95 comparison is not a good one here since it has long been EOLed and is not supported.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
And I forgot to mention Microsoft Office 2010 is SUPPORTED in Windows XP with SP3, that throws the EOL equation out of water already.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, and I completely loved the Microsoft Office 2010 beta, that ran on XP for a whole one year, before the beta expired.
I am guessing, the absence of backward compatibility for IE 10, would not be the wisest decision that M$ have taken. Particularly when they are trying to increase the market share.

Tech&ME

Banned
XP has been EOLed? That's news to me. :rolleyes:
AFAIK Windows XP is STILL SUPPORTED till 2014 when it meets its EOL. So not quite the time to move on really.
It's pathetic that Microsoft cannot update their own software for their own product which is STILL supported and people PAID for that.
Windows 95 comparison is not a good one here since it has long been EOLed and is not supported.

I am with above ^^ :agreed:

And I forgot to mention Microsoft Office 2010 is SUPPORTED in Windows XP with SP3, that throws the EOL equation out of water already.

From Microsoft Website:
Windows End of Support Information - Windows Help & How-to

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows

Please read before you jump to any conclusions.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Erm....how about reading your own links.
Even though we ended the sale of Windows XP on October 22, 2010, we still plan to provide support for individual users and businesses until April 2014. For more information, see the Windows XP Help & How-to page. As Windows XP sales come to an end, it's also a good time to think about upgrading to Windows 7, which is designed to be compatible with many of the Windows XP programs you're accustomed to using.

Now as far as XP.
Reminder: Windows XP end-of-sales and end-of-support deadlines
Just a reminder that - as announced in April 2008 - as of October 22, 2010, OEMs will no longer be able to pre-install Windows XP Home on new netbook PCs. However for a majority of our customers, they may not notice much change; many PC makers have already been actively manufacturing and selling a broad set of Windows 7 netbooks since Windows 7 released in October, 2009. In fact, according to NPD’s Retail Tracking Service, by April 2010, 81% of netbook units sold at retail in the US came with Windows 7 pre-installed.

I would also like to remind people who are still running Windows XP that as of July 13th, 2010, Windows XP SP2 will also reach the end of support. You will need to install the latest service pack available (Windows XP Service Pack 3) via the Microsoft Update website or look at moving to Windows 7 to be running a supported version of Windows. Support for Windows XP Service Pack 3 will continue through April 2014.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Tech&ME: Yeah, your sources are proof, that Microsoft have ended support for XP SP2.
You should have been more specific.
Majority of the people I know, myself included are on SP3! :-D

Tech&ME

Banned
Erm....how about reading your own links.

Now as far as XP.
Reminder: Windows XP end-of-sales and end-of-support deadlines

@Tech&ME: Yeah, your sources are proof, that Microsoft have ended support for XP SP2.
You should have been more specific.
Majority of the people I know, myself included are on SP3! :-D

YA that's were you are wrong !! @Liverpool_fan

1. Support does not mean, Microsoft is bound to provide any product updates, including any updates to IE 8 or Windows XP itself.

2. Support only means technical troubleshooting (un-paid or paid).

3. Microsoft has actually stopped the manufacturing of Win XP. Which means no further development for this product. They are asking people to move to win 7.

4. Hence, they cannot have IE 9 installable on XP. This will bound them to make changes to XP and release SP 4 which they don't want to do. Again for "Sales" reasons of win 7.

Hope this clears everything.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Tech&ME: Now, we are just beating the bush pal! Believe me, we are on the same page!

The fact of the matter is, M$ just believes in profit fundas, and so havn't released a version for XP. Simple!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
@TECH&ME:

They may not be bound but they surely deserve criticism for that.

I don't agree with this "what support means or not" irrespective of whatever policies MSFT pursues. If I am a customer I expect a supported OS to be considered a first class citizen and be fully eligible to software updates made by the company itself. Not given excuses in the order of Windows 95 or 3.1x or DOS or whatever.

As for as IE9 to be needed an SP4...Really? Weird. Not the best architecture to distribute a software, if you ask me.

As a customer, I am not bothered whether their product is still on sales or not. What I am concerned is it supported or not, and it is. And they were selling the same product not so long ago, so if it's not too old to be sold, then it's never too old to be expected to be used by the customer and not being told to "move on".

As for as your point of Windows XP and Windows 7 being "different" and compatibility issues are concerned, that didn't stop MSFT to "backport" MSO2010 to XP, how does that stop MSFT to "backport" IE9/10. Makes no sense apart from "Sales reasons".

Sales reason is not any explanation worth bothering to give to your customers. Only MSFT is an organisation which can do business in this manner. Any other organisation would be packing their bags before they utter "S-A-L-E-S" if they emulate that.

Windows XP is still a supported Operating System (with SP3). Now as a customer (assumption), I want to leverage the latest HTML 5 technology. Now MSFT has locked "me" in to IE8, lacking badly in web standards and HTML5 and I can't have any non-third party way to enjoy latest web technology. The only way I can is by:
- Using Third Party tools
- Upgrading to Windows 7 (which my hardware may or may not support, whose license costs a bomb and it may not be worth it for the "improvement" in IT infrastructure.)

Of course using Third Party tools is a good option since ironically Google, Mozilla, and Opera are still supporting the MSFT's OS, but the third party software would not be eligible for technical support from Microsoft.

The point is MSFT is screwing up their own customers and treating Windows XP users, as a second class citizen just in order to drive up sales to their latest Operating systems, quite contrary to the point stated in this thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom