Internet choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad_den

Padawan
I keep repeating this quite often... No single provider can be claimed to be the best..!!! Services, customer care, plans... they all very from place to place.. I think you can realise the differences opf opinion from the posts above.. In my place, BSNL is the best.. Airtel or others don't even come close..! However, in Chenai or Bangalore or Delhi, it may be different..

So, my advice:
Consult your friends, relatives and neighbours who use broadband in the same city as yours.. try to get their opinions and then choose the best one suited for you.. In a forum like this, you are bound to get umpteen different opinions..! :D

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
i suppose u're right . Very well then .I shall do that .oh and just one thing , how much speed do u get in ul900(torrent and regualar downloads )/ thanks.

Last edited:

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
sagargv said:
take a look at this dataone(i think same as bsnl ) page.

*www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm

now tell me whats mtnl , vodafone ?
plz put the download speeds of airtel , bsnl ( home500 & ul900 )
and what abt the pc heating prob if i keep it on for 24x7 ?
I dont mind shelling out 400 bucks more , but whats the better choice . If download speed in hom500 is 200KBps and ul900 is 25KBps then i think its better to go for home500 . so what do u say ? i can get airtel connections easily over here(mysore) . so can u tell the plans and actual download speeds both in torrents and usual downloads in airtel ?

thanks.

Well BSNL and MTNL are both govt owned companies but its called MTNL in delhi and mumbai. Rest of the country its called BSNL. Now MTNL are moneysuckers..They dont have nice plans like BSNL. BSNL's home500 plan is very nice.. you get night_ul + 2.5 GB in the day. So if you are the type of person who can restrict downloads in the morning, then good. the home500 plan is good. However if you wnt to dl all day long then the home900 plan is suited. In the home 500 plans your speeds will vary from 256kbps - 2mbps ( utor will give speeds of 30 - 200 kBps) while the home900 plan is only upto 256kbps ( speds wont go more than 35 -40 kBps )

^^^^^^^^
BSNL

Home 500--speed 256Kbps to 2Mbps with night Unlimited(2AM-8AM) free DL/UL limit is 3GB I guess.No rent free landline.
Home 900UL plus-->speed constant 256Kbps with ZERO phone rental.

AIRTEL

Plan 699-->Speed 128Kbps unlimited(256 Kbps during nights) with rent free landline and modem/router.
Plan 999-->Speed 256Kbps constant with rent free landline and modem/router.

Customer support..
U need to go to BSNL office to deposit ur bill..or can opt for online billing or can pay at easy one centers(In bangalore).
Airtel-u can go to Airtel shop or can pay online or ask Airtel representative to come at ur doorstep to collect ur bill(now this is called customer support).
If something wrong with ur connection-wait for few days in case of BSNL/ u can get a compensation of 100rs in next bill if ur problem is not solved within 4 hrs In case of AIRTEL(another example why PSUs suck).

and I m using BSNL..so dnt think I have done any partiality in above post. In UL connection I get average 30KBPS speed on torrents.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
alok4best said:
^^^^^^^^
BSNL
Home 500--speed 256Kbps to 2Mbps with night Unlimited(2AM-8AM) free DL/UL limit is 3GB I guess.No rent free landline.
Gawk ! free dl limit is 3Gb @ night .. i am sure you didn't mean that .. but the sentence is a lil misleading ..

^^^^^The sentence is not misleading..I said Unlimited at nights..and during day it is 2.5GB..sorry for quoting 3GB...I was nt sure whether its 3 or 2.5...Traffic counted includes downloads and uploads both..

Simple_Graduate

Broken In
The cable-wallah in my locality is trying to get me to take sify broadband instead of BSNL.

He says it is cheaper in the long run since there is only a flat rate charge per month. Set up is also cheaper because no modem is required and service (he promises) will be prompt unlike in BSNL.

So what is he NOT telling me?

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I am using Sify Night Unlimited and it is awesome. In my city ony BSNL and Sify is present. And here Sify is far better than BSNL in service.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
thanks.
how's the speed in sify?
if i can get 100KBPS in hom500 and 30KBPS in ul900 , i prefer the home500.

Last edited:

jainshubhanyu

Broken In
sagargv said:
thanks.
how's the speed in sify?
if i can get 100KBPS in hom500 and 30KBPS in ul900 , i prefer the home500.

When you get your bill, then you will change your plans about speed. IMO, it is ALWAYS better to go with less speed as against peace of mind. With an UL connection, you know that your speed is less but you also know that you are not going to get jolts in your behind when you get the bill for that month. With a LIMITED connection, even though the speeds are high, you know that the limit will be reached faster, and you will MOST DEFINITELY get beautiful jolts in your behind when you see the bill.

No offence meant .... :D

1. I am on Plan 699 UL on Airtel. They say the speed is 128kbps. I can tell you that it is 90% on the lower side of it, browsing or downloading.

2. Once I shifted to their 999 UL for a month, and thr same problem. The speeds were always on the lower side, and only in night when they say they double the speed, did I get some nice speeds. Still, the speeds were well below the theoretical DOUBLED limits they said.

3. (Bonus;)) Also, Airtel specifically mentions UPTO while giving the speeds. Doesn't that ring a bell?

==================

Coming to BSNL, their plans start at 256kbps. No issues. Supposing the speed drops also, and it will, it will still be higher than Airtel at any given point of time, for the lone reason that there are no contention ratios here as in Airtel. Further, using download managers, you can extract higher speed from a BSNL connection. Airtel connection extracts a KB or two more, BSNL connection extracts many KBs more out of the same 256kbps connection.

For a 128kbps connection Airtel says the contention ratio is 1:2, meaning you will get a minimum of 64kbps. Remember you are paying for 128. In 256 plan, the contention ratio they state is 1:4, essentially again a 64kbps connection. There is no such thing in BSNL, they say 256 minimum, so rest assured that you will most definitely get around 180 CONSTANT, menaing both in browsing and downloading - and you will get much much higher speeds in downloading with download managers.

Last edited:
i stick too my local cable operator... b/s of it has less users compare too bsnl/airtel/tata and therefore gives me higher speed...also most of offices use this isp r closed at night..and most of ppl dont interested of warez downloading...so free bandwidth shared among some ppl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom