Internal HDD => External HDD ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I have an old 40gb samsung desktop harddisk . It's lying useless. Can i convert it to as External HDD (USB) ? Is any USB casing available for this ? and how much the price will be ? Will it need external power adaptor?

Help me out guys ...

Thank u in advance.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yeah, you can get the casing for 800-1500 bucks, depending on the quality. And yes, some need external power supply, while others dont.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
If the HDD is PATA then u can get a USB casing.U can get 1 for around Rs 700-1200.The casing will change the PATA interface to USB.If ur mobo supports firewire then u can get a firewire casing for faster data transfer.

47shailesh

Security Exp
does internal HDD will be shock resistent if v convert it to external and use in rough way. And is it worth to spend 800-1200 bucks if it remain suceptible to shocks and may end any time

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
An internal hard disk isn't as resistant to shocks as say a laptop HDD, but unless you actually drop it from a height, there shouldn't be any problem. I bought a USB 2.0 external enclosure for my old PATA HDD for just 700 bucks and it hasn't given me any problem so far.

abracadabra

Journeyman
u r internall hard disk is a 3.5" drive hence you'll be on the lookout for a case that goes for a PATA HDD. Not only that u wuld have to power it externally. and the idea of this being carried around 4get it. u culd end up destroying u r valuable stuff. it can be infact used a a backup device if placed only in a single place rather than have it carried around.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
This link will help u some wat and also troubleshoot if ever needed

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24025

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom