Intel Sandy Bridge discussion

pegasus

Journeyman
Less than that, the ASUS Z68 Vpro will cost 13k here, so the mATX boards will be sub 10k for sure, more like 8k around.
Going by usual trends, prices may end up lower than what is mentioned at the time of launch-
Models MRP
MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z Rs. 24500/-
MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z Rs. 11950/-
P8Z68 DELUXE Rs. 16550/-
P8Z68-V PRO Rs. 13550/-
P8Z68-V Rs. 12450/-
Hardware BBQ: Asus India launches Z68 chipset boards: reveals price and Stock Availability

^+1

@bhushan05d251
U are paying for the proccy grafix bro...make sure u have a mobo to use it!
At least the QuickSync part!!!
So aptly put Mukherjee sir. :)

The general assumption for most for all Z68 motherboards maybe, loosely put, advantages of (H67 + P67) = Z68 + some more stuff.

From all i read and what i understood, apart from the overclocking part alongwith the ability to use integrated SandyBridge GPU,
arrival of Intel Z68 Express chipset promised to bring 3 main advantages over P67 based motherboards-
1. LucidLogix Virtu (universal switchable graphics/GPU virtualisation)
2. Intel Quick Sync Video Technology (Way faster media transcoding than what only CPU or only discrete graphics card has to offer)
3. Intel Smart Response Technology (SSD caching- faster performance of SSD + large storage capacity of a regular HDD)

So while buying a Z68 motherboard, i will make sure it offers all benefits of Z68 chipset.
Coz if missing the main/practical advantages offered by Z68, i am unsure how much benefit it might offer over existing P67 motherboards and then why not stick to P67 only?
Compare Intel® Products,

I was wondering over the practicality of motherboards like ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe that don't have the onboard display connectors that ideally a Z68 motherboard should have.
But from the features/specs, it appears that it has LucidLogix Virtu and supports Intel Quick Sync- thus allowing the ability to avail faster media transcoding via integrated Sandy Bridge GPU alongwith 3D graphics performance via discrete GPU, simultaneously.

Without Virtu, as it happened earlier with H67 motherboards IIRC, the Sandy Bridge processor's integrated GPU had to be used to be enable to use Quick Sync but it would not work alongwith discrete GPU.
Only integrated or discrete GPU could be used at a time and using Quick Sync wasn't possible without using one of the onboard display connectors.

IMHO, faster media transcoding by Intel Quick Sync Video Technology is definitely one of the most important reasons for someone with a good graphics card or 2, to opt for a Z68 motherboard over a P67 motherboard.
That way one can play games or do other 3D stuff while the Sandy Bridge processor's integrated GPU takes care of media transcoding, at the same time if need be.
So Virtu on Z68 motherboards seems like a must, especially on high-end motherboards that might lack onboard display connectors.

All said, it seems Virtu is a virtue. Z68 without Virtu is a vice? :p

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Wise words there, anyway gigabyte neither has gfx nor supports virtue in their UD4 and higher models, so its a clear loss for us, Asus vpro has everything, deluxe lacks gfx but suppprts virtue, so any sane person would buy an asus.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Going by usual trends, prices may end up lower than what is mentioned at the time of launch-
Models MRP
MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z Rs. 24500/-
MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z Rs. 11950/-
P8Z68 DELUXE Rs. 16550/-
P8Z68-V PRO Rs. 13550/-
P8Z68-V Rs. 12450/-
Hardware BBQ: Asus India launches Z68 chipset boards: reveals price and Stock Availability

So aptly put Mukherjee sir. :)

The general assumption for most for all Z68 motherboards maybe, loosely put, advantages of (H67 + P67) = Z68 + some more stuff.

From all i read and what i understood, apart from the overclocking part alongwith the ability to use integrated SandyBridge GPU,
arrival of Intel Z68 Express chipset promised to bring 3 main advantages over P67 based motherboards-
1. LucidLogix Virtu (universal switchable graphics/GPU virtualisation)
2. Intel Quick Sync Video Technology (Way faster media transcoding than what only CPU or only discrete graphics card has to offer)
3. Intel Smart Response Technology (SSD caching- faster performance of SSD + large storage capacity of a regular HDD)

So while buying a Z68 motherboard, i will make sure it offers all benefits of Z68 chipset.
Coz if missing the main/practical advantages offered by Z68, i am unsure how much benefit it might offer over existing P67 motherboards and then why not stick to P67 only?
Compare Intel® Products,

I was wondering over the practicality of motherboards like ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe that don't have the onboard display connectors that ideally a Z68 motherboard should have.
But from the features/specs, it appears that it has LucidLogix Virtu and supports Intel Quick Sync- thus allowing the ability to avail faster media transcoding via integrated Sandy Bridge GPU alongwith 3D graphics performance via discrete GPU, simultaneously.

Without Virtu, as it happened earlier with H67 motherboards IIRC, the Sandy Bridge processor's integrated GPU had to be used to be enable to use Quick Sync but it would not work alongwith discrete GPU.
Only integrated or discrete GPU could be used at a time and using Quick Sync wasn't possible without using one of the onboard display connectors.

IMHO, faster media transcoding by Intel Quick Sync Video Technology is definitely one of the most important reasons for someone with a good graphics card or 2, to opt for a Z68 motherboard over a P67 motherboard.
That way one can play games or do other 3D stuff while the Sandy Bridge processor's integrated GPU takes care of media transcoding, at the same time if need be.
So Virtu on Z68 motherboards seems like a must, especially on high-end motherboards that might lack onboard display connectors.

All said, it seems Virtu is a virtue. Z68 without Virtu is a vice? :p

Very nicely put :)

I would like to add one more point.... its imperative to have atleast d-mode Virtu support if you are buying a Z68 board AND atleast a DVI (and/or) HDMI port for integrated graphics function (u can use integrated proccy graphics if something goes wrong with discrete graphics)....at least then u will have the option of using things u actually paid for... :cool:

Isnt that the reason we all have been waiting for the Z68 chipset? :hyper: SSD Caching is good...but Quicksync is better imho :twisted:

tkin

Back to school!!
Very nicely put :)

I would like to add one more point.... its imperative to have atleast d-mode Virtu support if you are buying a Z68 board AND atleast a DVI (and/or) HDMI port for integrated graphics function (u can use integrated proccy graphics if something goes wrong with discrete graphics)....at least then u will have the option of using things u actually paid for... :cool:

Isnt that the reason we all have been waiting for the Z68 chipset? :hyper: SSD Caching is good...but Quicksync is better imho :twisted:
Asus Vpro supports both modes and has DVI-I output. Gigabyte supports none.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Asus Vpro supports both modes and has DVI-I output. Gigabyte supports none.

U are a little mistaken....

The following Gigabyte boards have display out...albeit they are low end compared to their well endowed display-less brothers :)

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

tkin

Back to school!!
U are a little mistaken....

The following Gigabyte boards have display out...albeit they are low end compared to their well endowed display-less brothers :)

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Those are low ends, I'm getting concerned about the cooler.

PS: You can install H50/70 without using the sticky tapes on your mobo, stick the tape to the backplate, do not remove the film on the other side of the tape, this will prevent the sticky tape from getting attached to mobo, confirmed this in corsair forums.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Those are low ends, I'm getting concerned about the cooler.

PS: You can install H50/70 without using the sticky tapes on your mobo, stick the tape to the backplate, do not remove the film on the other side of the tape, this will prevent the sticky tape from getting attached to mobo, confirmed this in corsair forums.

I have decided to give the H50/H70 a miss....u might want to see this :twisted:

Also visit my 40k upgrade thread for some info on ram...

Can u give some links to this discussion in Corsair forums?

tkin

Back to school!!
I have decided to give the H50/H70 a miss....u might want to see this :twisted:

Also visit my 40k upgrade thread for some info on ram...

Can u give some links to this discussion in Corsair forums?
Corsair rep on tape:
The Corsair Support Forums - View Single Post - H70 - can adhesive tape touch motherboard pins
TPU:
techPowerUp! Forums - View Single Post - Corsair H70 - double sided tape on the back-frame

The glue is there to hold the backplate when you are installing it, so if you can get help from someone they are not needed, also the tape has protective sticker on them that you need to remove in order to install it, remove it from one side, put that side on the backplate so that it sticks, keep the film on other side so that it won't stick to the mobo, simple.

Another Corsair Forum Link:
H70 re-mounting question - The Corsair Support Forums

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
guys this new version of virtu is for z68 only or h67 too?
Lucidlogix’s Virtu: Reclaiming Performance And Transcoding : The Intel Z68 Express Review: A Real Enthusiast Chipset

tkin

Back to school!!
Was virtue ever for H67? Even if it is I bet they will charge for it, as its not even free for Z68.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Was virtue ever for H67? Even if it is I bet they will charge for it, as its not even free for Z68.

Its Virtu bro....
Tho in theory Virtu should support H67...I dont think the companies will offer it....loss of Z68 business!!!! ;)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

yes.
But Lucidlogix—the same company we've seen try to unify multi-card rendering solutions from AMD and Nvidia—has an answer that it hopes will make Z68 an even more viable solution for enthusiasts: GPU virtualization. Using the company’s Virtu software, you can connect a display to the output of an H67- or Z68-based motherboard, drop in a discrete card, and harness the capabilities of both components.
Can Lucidlogix Right Sandy Bridge’s Wrongs? Virtu, Previewed : GPU Virtualization Enables Quick Sync And Discrete Graphics

jenkin

Right off the assembly line
What is the Asus P8P67 WS Revolution equivalent in the Z68 chipset.
Is it Maximus IV gene-z or will they release another Motherboard in the Z68 chipset with Workstation build?

tkin

Back to school!!
What is the Asus P8P67 WS Revolution equivalent in the Z68 chipset.
Is it Maximus IV gene-z or will they release another Motherboard in the Z68 chipset with Workstation build?
I believe they will release a Maximus IV Extreme-Z, keep your eyes open.

yes.

Can Lucidlogix Right Sandy Bridge’s Wrongs? Virtu, Previewed : GPU Virtualization Enables Quick Sync And Discrete Graphics
I bet they will charge for Virtue for H67 users, Z68 users are already paying a licensing fee(paid by mobo manufacturers)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ - Core i5-2310 - 4 Cores (4 threads) @ 2.9 GHz | 6MB L3 cache | 95W TDP | $177
- Core i5-2405S - 4 Cores (4 threads) @ 2.5 GHz | 6MB L3 cache | 65W TDP | $205
- Core i3-2105 - 2 Cores (4 threads) @ 3.1 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W TDP | $134
- Pentium G850 - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.9 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W | $86
- Pentium G840 - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.8 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W | $75
- Pentium G620 - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.6 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W | $64
- Pentium G620T - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.2 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 35W | $70

Interested to see some benches of el-cheap o Pentium G8xx and G6xx series specially G620 and this combined with a cheap H61 mobo will make a perfect and cheapest SB config ;-)

harishgayatri

Broken In
Why are the T models more expensive than then non-T counterparts?

^^ - Core i5-2310 - 4 Cores (4 threads) @ 2.9 GHz | 6MB L3 cache | 95W TDP | $177
- Core i5-2405S - 4 Cores (4 threads) @ 2.5 GHz | 6MB L3 cache | 65W TDP | $205
- Core i3-2105 - 2 Cores (4 threads) @ 3.1 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W TDP | $134
- Pentium G850 - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.9 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W | $86
- Pentium G840 - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.8 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W | $75
- Pentium G620 - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.6 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 65W | $64
- Pentium G620T - 2 Cores (2 threads) @ 2.2 GHz | 3MB L3 cache | 35W | $70

Interested to see some benches of el-cheap o Pentium G8xx and G6xx series specially G620 and this combined with a cheap H61 mobo will make a perfect and cheapest SB config ;-)

Yes even I am interested too.

D

Deleted member 26636

hey my friend has a asus p7p55d- e lx mobo. will it support sandy bridge processors?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No luck there my friend. For SNB your friend has to upgrade his mobo.

For a list of supported CPUs in his current mobo check the following:-
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P7P55D-E LX

prvprv

Journeyman
Some SB cpu query

I got some doubts after reading the following in intel site about i5 2500k processor

Intel® Coreâ„¢ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, 3.30 GHz)

1) Memory Types: DDR3-1066/1333. so even if we install a 1600MHz RAM it will use 1333 clock only? do we have to OC to run at 1600MHz?

2) Processor Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Graphics Base Frequency 850 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.1 GHz

Does this processor has inbuilt GPU? I dont understand this thing. Or is it telling about some supported motherboard?

Top Bottom