Guys i have intel i5 760.
I am planning to overclock it.
Actully i want to it without buying any additional cooling.
Rite now the clock speed is at 2.8. I was wondering if i can take it to 3.2 or 3.3
for 24 X 7 without any additional cooling with full stability.
And i have 550ti and seasonic 520 S2. So no power wories i guess.
And yes if taking clocks to from 2.8 to 3.3 wont make much of an difference in perfomance than dont suggest it. Thanks.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the idle and load temps of your cpu ? What mobo do you have ? What's your cpus current vcore ? post a cpu-z and hwinfo temp sensor screenshot.

~500Mhz cpu OC will improve performance for sure but it will also make the cpu more Hot and you may need to bump up the cpu vcore so if you are planning to OC you better get a good cpu cooler like Hyper 212 Evo first @ ~2k ;-)

OP
I

imrocking_since92

Journeyman
If cpu cooler is compulsory, than plan cancel.
I will overclock when i will have money to buy cpu cooler

can anyone tell how much of difference overclocking will make on gaming perfomance???
is it worth to invest in 2k cpu cooler???

and one more question (m noob on this) whr does actully cpu cooler goes??
i mean thrs an heatsink on my cpu..wil it replace it???

thanks anyways..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
with a 2k cpu cooler like CM Hyper 212 Evo you will be able to push the cpu clock speed around ~4-4.2 Ghz which will improve the cpus performance in every apps including games so investing in a 2K cpu cooler is really beneficial in the long run ;-)

Yep, the new after market cpu cooler will replace your current cpu heatsink and you will get detailed instructions ( there's plenty of youtube vids too ) about how to install CM Hyper 212 Evo ;-)

OP
I

imrocking_since92

Journeyman
thanks for the help..
but thr a huge problem..i cannot access any setting through bios..
i mean thrs no settings available to change it..i am only able to access basic settings tho..
i guess the problem is because i have branded dell 580 desktop..dell pple must have locked the settings in some way i dont know..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ That BIOS which you are using might offer very few options to tweak. Yes, the seller (i.e. Dell in your case) blocked the advanced option in BIOS.

Tarun

In the zone
get a 212 evo for ~2k and u can go on and y only 3.3ghz u have a 1st gen cpu which usually overclock ~4Ghz to ~4.8Ghz on air
make sure u turn off ur turbo boost and then try overclocking ur cpu it will be more easier for u :p :) wish u good luck and happy overclocking ;)

dibya_kol

In the zone
if i realy wanna oc it, then search for a tutorial in youtube, u can get plenty of tutorial over there. Sandy bridge is suitable for oc, and u can oc it on air as well , but i need to understand before what r u tring to do. U can oc it atleast 400 mhz on air, but all depends on ur mobo .. Good luck ..

OP
I

imrocking_since92

Journeyman
guys i want to overclock..
but i think u both dint read my previous post..
i m not able to do any advanced settings through bios..
its a branded dell pc so i guess they must have locked it..
so i guesss i wont be able to oveclock it..

ps and on air means on default cpu cooler provided by intel??

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
chances of you having a compatible PLL are unlikely but still worth a shot!! ;)

imrocking - u can OC a branded pc too..... download CPUz and give me a screen shot of ur mainboard... without that i cant help..

Also, there are ALWAYSSSSSSSSS ways to OC without doing it from BIOS!!! :D

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Attached is a foto of your mobo........

Read the number on the IC that is inside the blue rectangle right next to the shiny thing.

Write it down on a paper.
Download setFSB/cpufsb both are overclocking software...
The software will ask you to choose this number that was on IC from a list... and then you are good to Overclock... if on the other hand... you cannot find this number listed in the software....... and you cant choose it... come back here and tell me ill see what i can do... :p

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@OP: from the CPU-Z screenshot it looks like you are screwed. Only software based OC is possible with that motherboard AFAIK.

OP
I

imrocking_since92

Journeyman
yeah i have dell oem..
lionking thanks for the info..much appreciated..
rite i dnt have cpu cooler..first i will try on factory heatsink till 3.2 ghz or 3.3 ghz
than if i have enough money than will go for cpu cooler..

ps is software based oc safe??i mean will it harm my pc in any way??

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
yeah i have dell oem..
lionking thanks for the info..much appreciated..
rite i dnt have cpu cooler..first i will try on factory heatsink till 3.2 ghz or 3.3 ghz
than if i have enough money than will go for cpu cooler..

ps is software based oc safe??i mean will it harm my pc in any way??

its safe if u do it patiently in small steps.... if ur wreckless wwith it u will probably damage something.... but this is also the case with BIOS based oc so....

Top Bottom