Intel D915GAV or Intel Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
YES BOSS...my use of desktop will be varied...i will list out...

1. Running SAP IDES System
2. Playing Movies
3. NOT games so far
4. Opening 20 webpages and alternating them in between at times
5. Lot of dfs/word / excel files opened...
6. do lot of data copy transfer from one hard to another
7. try new softwares in system
etc etc
so i jsut wanted that speed should not be a limitation iff possible....

:)

YES BOSS...my use of desktop will be varied...i will list out...

1. Running SAP IDES System
2. Playing Movies
3. NOT games so far
4. Opening 20 webpages and alternating them in between at times
5. Lot of dfs/word / excel files opened...
6. do lot of data copy transfer from one hard to another
7. try new softwares in system
etc etc
so i jsut wanted that speed should not be a limitation iff possible....

:)
Yup. Just what I expected. Abusive multitasking, but at the same time you don't run processor intensive apps. You are the perfect canditate for 4GB RAM, Core2Quad Q6600, but I don't think you need an 8600GT now. If you DO decide to game, get a graphics card THEN, not NOW, since things only become cheaper by age.

But have you considered an AMD rig instead ???

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
abusive multitasking - he he he...may be u can say but i just dont want to be constrained by system in flexibility that i enjoy in keeping pages open...bcz i spent 12 hours daily on computers in my job and personal life from user point of view...but yes i agree not very judicious user...

Yes I have finally settled my mind based on all inputss here on -
4 GB RAM DDR 2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Nvidia Graphics Card assuggested may be later

BUT to be very honest still my heart has not been able to decide on Motherboard (with chipset)...I still am not sure which one to purchase...???????

No i have never thought about AMD as somehow Intel is deep rooted in me. And not sure or dont want to try new things like AMD unless needed....boss

abusive multitasking - he he he...may be u can say but i just dont want to be constrained by system in flexibility that i enjoy in keeping pages open...bcz i spent 12 hours daily on computers in my job and personal life from user point of view...but yes i agree not very judicious user...

Yes I have finally settled my mind based on all inputss here on -
4 GB RAM DDR 2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Nvidia Graphics Card assuggested may be later

BUT to be very honest still my heart has not been able to decide on Motherboard (with chipset)...I still am not sure which one to purchase...???????

No i have never thought about AMD as somehow Intel is deep rooted in me. And not sure or dont want to try new things like AMD unless needed....boss
Abusive Multitasker is not an insult, rather, its a Title.

Now the problem with choosing a motherboard here is that you don't HAVE any value boards at the moment. All those P35 boards cost over 5.5K while the 630i might get old too soon (though it is perfectly enough for your needs). So you need to go for a higher end board, but its still not exactly *worth* the money you spend on it since the whole platform is going to become obsolete when September arrives with Intel Nehalem Core i7.

In such a situation, another thing you can do is to WAIT. Either wait for nVidia 730i to come sometime this month or the next month, or wait for Nehalem. The later is going to make you spend lots of money, so the former is the best wait you can do.

That was why I had suggested AMD. AMD CPUs are of good quality, but their main strength lies in their MOTHERBOARDS. A 4.5K AMD 780G motherboard is stronger than an 8.5K intel G35 motherboard. You can get the same configuration, but with more expansion slots and better graphics if you go for AMD. Phenom X4 9550 is available for Rs. 7,500 and a 780G board from MSI or Gigabyte for 4.5K. And from most reviews, it also can handle your tasks effectively, and at the same time it has the added advantage that the onboard graphics are good enough for ensuring that you don't need to buy another graphics card.

acewin

Point Blanc
P45 is newest of the chipsets from intel.
Would never suggest an intel original motherboard if you are paying as much.
Besides Abit IP35E which is P35 based mobo there is MSI P45 Neo - F in 6.5K
Or better Asus mobos from Asus like P5Q in 8K or P5Q-Pro in 9K

Most of the quoted price are from ITWARES - Check this link

No need to wait for nahelam, only wait if you think there will be high price decrement, which I do not think as nahelam are bein released as ultra high end proccies like C2D Extreme And we are talking about general good proccies in affordable price range. Unless you think of spending 40K for a proccy. Besides this only Intel X58 chipset based mobos will support nahelam and none of the mobos and chipset being talked.

Check this link for intel original mobos

Besides this I will order the chipsets as P45>P43>G45>G43>P35>G35>G33 and did just a little addition to your comparision Intel chipset Comparision link

G series have onboard GFX unlike P series mobos, anyone here would recommend mobos other than Original Intel, mostly because other mobo makers use intel chipsets better and cost lesser and also you get better options.
For people like you and me GT8600 is more than enough and is more feasible in 3-3.5K price. So best option you got is MSI P45 Neo in 6.5K for mobo, you get P45 chipset based mobo in decent price or a little costlier from ASUS. Abit mobos are very good overclocker which I do not think you are. Proccy u can get Q6600 or Q9300 as 9450 would be much more costlier

P45 is newest of the chipsets from intel.
Would never suggest an intel original motherboard if you are paying as much.
Besides Abit IP35E which is P35 based mobo there is MSI P45 Neo - F in 6.5K
Or better Asus mobos from Asus like P5Q in 8K or P5Q-Pro in 9K

Most of the quoted price are from ITWARES - Check this link

No need to wait for nahelam, only wait if you think there will be high price decrement, which I do not think as nahelam are bein released as ultra high end proccies like C2D Extreme And we are talking about general good proccies in affordable price range. Unless you think of spending 40K for a proccy. Besides this only Intel X58 chipset based mobos will support nahelam and none of the mobos and chipset being talked.

Check this link for intel original mobos

Besides this I will order the chipsets as P45>P43>G45>G43>P35>G35>G33 and did just a little addition to your comparision Intel chipset Comparision link

G series have onboard GFX unlike P series mobos, anyone here would recommend mobos other than Original Intel, mostly because other mobo makers use intel chipsets better and cost lesser and also you get better options.
For people like you and me GT8600 is more than enough and is more feasible in 3-3.5K price. So best option you got is MSI P45 Neo in 6.5K for mobo, you get P45 chipset based mobo in decent price or a little costlier from ASUS. Abit mobos are very good overclocker which I do not think you are. Proccy u can get Q6600 or Q9300 as 9450 would be much more costlier
Nehalem 2.66GHz is expected to come for 15K in India if things go well. So it IS a thing to beware of. But yes, only X58 chipset is currently available for Nehalem.

Q6600 going to have more power than Q9300 since he is basically a multitasker, and hence the 2MB extra L2 cache helps while the extra clockspeed of Q9300 doesn't matter much since his apps aren't CPU intensive. Besides, the 2K price difference along with the fact that he is not an overclocker make Q6600 a sweet spot.

Since he is not a gamer, even 8600GT is not needed by him and onboard GFX will do.

Q6600 doesn't need more than 4GB RAM, and he isn't a gamer or an overclocker. Hence 630i will be sufficient. P45 is not needed unless he gets Q9300 CPU and decides to overclock it for performance, which he is not doing.

So,

either:
XFX 630i Ultra - 3.5K
C2Q Q6600 - 9K
total 12.5K.

OR:
MSI P45 Neo - 6.5K
C1Q Q9300 - 11K
NV 8600GT - 3.5K
total 21K.

acewin

Point Blanc
nehalem 2.66 quoted price by intel is 284$, and if you count it then yeah it would come around 15K, but Indian prices always comes out to be one and a half times than US prices.
Well 8600Gt is not real necessity he can go for 8400 GS also but I will suggest newer chipset based mobo for he performance he would want. XFX 630i Ultra is good onboard GFX mobo but P45 or P35 chipset mobos would be better for him, because the are more performance oriented chipset.

acewin

Point Blanc
performance oriented means suited better for heavy multitasking and such proccy like Q6600. 630i has one of the best chipsets with onboard graphics, but what after that, how much load it can take and what more additions can we do. I do accept I do not know much about nVidia chipsets, but I see the specs when deciding.

I do not think everyone goes on buying hardware every 6 months, so why not better get which can last longer. 630i specs are good enough for now, but does not give any chance to for upgrade until and unless you do a total mobo change after an year or 2.
His requirements are not GPU intensive for sure but they are really CPU intensive.
But one thing, deciding on specs and what to buy is always a tough call, when there are so many options.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I am convinced about Q6600 BUT very sckeptical about ABIT IP35-E (infact heard it first time).

Its based on the P35 chipset. Its an excellent Value for money and quite stable. But if you are not into gaming, no application today can take advantage of the four-core Q6600.
PS: has no onboard video controller though.

I want really a motherboard which is premium brand with atleast 2 IDE 2 SATA and decent inbuilt graphics card (I know graphics card is required but dont know how much is good and whats optimum there vis a vis cost)
If you need inbuilt graphics go for the DQ35JO.

What is aftermarket cooler and is it available in kolkata india...?
Dont need an extrernal cooler if you dont overclock. Intels stock cooler is sufficient. You can use thermal paste though.

One more Q: Q6600 vs E8200...which one is better...as what i could get is E8200 is 45nm; FSB1334 Mhz; etc( dont exactly know what it means but seems significantly better technology) but not in Q6600...
E8200 is double core-ed, it consumes less power and perfrorms nearly as good as the quard core-ed Q6600.
Again, if you arent into gaming get the E8200.
Here is a head to head of a quad and dual core: *www.intel.com/performance/desktop/dighome/index.htm?iid=prod_core2duo+body_dighome
You can see the difference is +-10% only

Intel DQ35JO(6K): Is it significantly better...???
I just suggested coz it has a decent graphics contoller.

DP35DP (5.5K) + E7200 (5K) +Gfx Card (3K to 44K :p , depends on you.):
So does it mean if i take DP35DP i have to compulsorily purcahse graphics card (and is it so expensive...???)
The cheapest GFX card out there is bout 1800K. The DP35DP comes with better sound, so i suggested it. If you dont want to get an external GFX card get the DQ35JO.
PS: DP35DP and the ABIT IP35-E are based on the same P35 chipset. They are equivalent in performance.

XFX 630i GF7150 mobo : is it better than other intel motherboards..???
Good chipset for overclocking and gaming. Main draw is the great SLI support. (Runnung two graphics cards together).

Performance = Raw speed (sans reliability)

Intel's seem to be more stable over time though.

Last edited:
performance oriented means suited better for heavy multitasking and such proccy like Q6600. 630i has one of the best chipsets with onboard graphics, but what after that, how much load it can take and what more additions can we do. I do accept I do not know much about nVidia chipsets, but I see the specs when deciding.

I do not think everyone goes on buying hardware every 6 months, so why not better get which can last longer. 630i specs are good enough for now, but does not give any chance to for upgrade until and unless you do a total mobo change after an year or 2.
His requirements are not GPU intensive for sure but they are really CPU intensive.
But one thing, deciding on specs and what to buy is always a tough call, when there are so many options.
Well, 630i perfectly supports heavy duty multitasking processors. Infact, its even used for overclocking by some people.

As I said before, it does not have too many expansion slots, but that doesn't mean it has too little expansion slots too. 4GB RAM ought to be enough to remove any bottleneck the CPU is going to have.

Anyway, my second config, of MSI P45 Neo with Core2Quad Q9300 and nVidia 8600GT can always be considered if its alright with him. I think its very much worth it if you have the money to spare, but it all depends on his view.

Edit: I remembered this review from some months back and decided to dig this up:
*www.chotocheeta.com/2008/01/20/qui...or-a-budget-yes-performance-quad-core-system/

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
Thanks Guys and gurus...really thanks...I am just reading every reply to my post again and again to best understand and take a decisiion...its a little overwhelming but atleast good understandable guidance...also there is one additional constraint that for example in kolkata ABIT IP35E is not available...i called eastern logica; lalani and others in chandni chowk here - they did not even heard of ABIT it seems. I know its available in other parts of india like delhi / bangalore / mumbai etc.

I will first half tommorow go to chandni chowk and see whats available in various shops and make a purchase on this basis.

I will post my actualy purchase and exp in a day or two after purchsing...thanx again all of u...Cheers

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^u can order the abit ip35 e online at lynx-india.com,theitwares.com,yantraonline.com,techshop.in
and yes there will be no warranty issues atleast with lynx and theitwares

And something to tell-The abit IP45 is coming soon so if u can wait.it will be priced below 6k

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
^u can order the abit ip35 e online at lynx-india.com,theitwares.com,yantraonline.com,techshop.in

And something to tell-The abit IP45 is coming soon so if u can wait.it will be priced below 6k
thanks for ur inputs boss...but somehow i am very weary of orderiong online from indian websites...unlike USA where web order is preferred...plus i am really running now out of time...in the sense that once i get a new system i can complete lot of my pendings...but yes again thanks for letting me know the option...

unfortunately in kolkata things are always a little late

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Online transictions and business is quite common and reliable this days. With big names like eBay an all coming to India shows it. theitwares.com and lynx-india.com are one of the most trusted online shopping sites. Don't worry. :)

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
those 2guys have a very good reputation for online sales.a lot of people here have purchased hardware from them.i'm the one with everything purchased online from lynx coz my local hardware ppl never have what i need.

i'd say don't compromise on performance coz difference is huge.get IP35E.

just a suggestion :)

if u wait tven 730i with Geforce 9400 onboard will arrive. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom