Intel D915GAV or Intel Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandoghosh

Broken In
Intel D915GAV or Intel Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad...!!!

Hi Gurus...I am stuck with what to do.

I have one motherboard brand new kept from last 1 year which is Intel D915GAV.

Option 1: Should I purchase a processor which supports this motherboard and if yes what are the advantages and disadvantages.
Also let me know which processor and whats the price roughly...???

Option 2: Purchase a new Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad.

I did a lot of reading but the more I read I get lost.

Can you say me which Intel Processor is good - any model numbers for Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad and indicative prices.

Also please indicate the supporting motherboard for this option and how many PATA and SATA hard disks it can hold respectively...???

I know asked a lot but its urgent as I need to make a purchase. really thanks.

regards
sunando
sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I have one motherboard brand new kept from last 1 year which is Intel D915GAV.

Option 1: Should I purchase a processor which supports this motherboard and if yes what are the advantages and disadvantages.
Intel 915 series support only upto P4. You wont be able to use dual core, C2D and higher processors.

Rest will depend on your use and budget. I mean how will you use your system, and what is your budget??

how many PATA and SATA hard disks it can hold respectively...???
will depend on the motherboard you select. Generally motherboards have 2 IDE port and 4-6 SATA port.

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
Intel 915 series support only upto P4. You wont be able to use dual core, C2D and higher processors.
EXcellent point and infact that was one of my concerns...

Rest will depend on your use and budget. I mean how will you use your system, and what is your budget??

I use system pretty intensively...in terms of multiple applications and maqny web pages and documents opened simulatenously...

My Budget for Motherboard PLUS Processor (excluding other things) is Rs 12000 - Rs 20000.

will depend on the motherboard you select. Generally motherboards have 2 IDE port and 4-6 SATA port.

Atleast 2 IDE port and 2 sata is bare minimum i am looking forward to...

RAVI - thanks again for replying. Can you please now suggest.

Do u suggest purchasing Core 2 Quad and which motherboard...pls be as descriptive as possible...thanks man

regards

*support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D915GAV/
*www.intel.com/products/chipsets/915g/index.htm

it looks decent for an old board.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
U can get a Q6600 and abit IP35-E for 14k total. It wud suit ur need and budget perfectly...
getting a proccy for that 915 is not a good idea.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Since gaming dosnt seem to be you primary objective,Idd suggest a dual core processor:
*Intel DP35DP (5.5K) + E7200 (5K) +Gfx Card (3K to 44K :p , depends on you.)
note: The mobo has great onboard sound capabilities

If you need a bit more power:
* E8200(8K) + Intel DQ35JO(6K) [Board has onboard gfx soln]

Links:
**www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dq35jo/dq35jo-overview.htm
**www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/desktop/bdb/dp35dp/feature/index.htm
**processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAVN
**processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPP

U can get a Q6600 and abit IP35-E for 14k total. It wud suit ur need and budget perfectly...
wrong. q6600 is 9k and ip35-e is 5.5k. totals to 14.5k. plus 1.3k for basic 7100gs gpu.

since not into gaming, better get XFX 630i GF7150 mobo for 3.5K. total with q6600 is 12.5k.

OR, get Phenom X4 9550 for 7.5K plus 780G board for 4.5K total 12K. this has the best onboard gpu which can effortlessly handle HDTVs.

I doubt you need to raise your budget to 20k for getting a heavy multitasking mobo/processor. This is not 2006. ;)

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
*support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D915GAV/
*www.intel.com/products/chipsets/915g/index.htm

it looks decent for an old board.
Yes but now based on all feedback I am thinking of going for Core 2 Quad Option...May be i am thinking of buying one P4 processor for it to give it to my small cousing brother / sister...

My Biggest Fear: I am a very heavy computer user but not a techie...so really does not know in detail motherboards...but always in last few years trusted INTEL as I believed that i will not at least be making a bad choice if not the best choice...

I am convinced about Q6600 BUT very sckeptical about ABIT IP35-E (infact heard it first time).

I want really a motherboard which is premium brand with atleast 2 IDE 2 SATA and decent inbuilt graphics card (I know graphics card is required but dont know how much is good and whats optimum there vis a vis cost)

Sorry I am not in touch with hardwares these days.

Never mind Sir...thanks to u and so many members puring their valuable opinions
get this
if u can spend ~2000 more get an aftermarket cooler for this processor

What is aftermarket cooler and is it available in kolkata india...?

Since gaming dosnt seem to be you primary objective,Idd suggest a dual core processor:
*Intel DP35DP (5.5K) + E7200 (5K) +Gfx Card (3K to 44K :p , depends on you.)
note: The mobo has great onboard sound capabilities

If you need a bit more power:
* E8200(8K) + Intel DQ35JO(6K) [Board has onboard gfx soln]

Links:
**www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dq35jo/dq35jo-overview.htm
**www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/desktop/bdb/dp35dp/feature/index.htm
**processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAVN
**processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPP

Yes gaming is not my primary objective.

One more Q: Q6600 vs E8200...which one is better...as what i could get is E8200 is 45nm; FSB1334 Mhz; etc( dont exactly know what it means but seems significantly better technology) but not in Q6600...

Intel DQ35JO(6K): Is it significantly better...???

DP35DP (5.5K) + E7200 (5K) +Gfx Card (3K to 44K :p , depends on you.):

So does it mean if i take DP35DP i have to compulsorily purcahse graphics card (and is it so expensive...???)

wrong. q6600 is 9k and ip35-e is 5.5k. totals to 14.5k. plus 1.3k for basic 7100gs gpu.

since not into gaming, better get XFX 630i GF7150 mobo for 3.5K. total with q6600 is 12.5k.

OR, get Phenom X4 9550 for 7.5K plus 780G board for 4.5K total 12K. this has the best onboard gpu which can effortlessly handle HDTVs.

I doubt you need to raise your budget to 20k for getting a heavy multitasking mobo/processor. This is not 2006. ;)

XFX 630i GF7150 mobo : is it better than other intel motherboards..???

THANKS PLEASE PROVIDE FURTHER INPUTS

XFX 630i GF7150 mobo : is it better than other intel motherboards..???

THANKS PLEASE PROVIDE FURTHER INPUTS
Depends on the context you are refering to. Its really cheap and VFM, and at the same time performs very well, and has Good Onboard Graphics. But it does not support dual channel RAM. Consider it as an option since it can get you a system that fulfills your needs perfectly, but is not heavy on the pocket.

All this depends on weather you REALLY want to spend the entire 12k-20k on the computer, or if you are satisfied by a lower priced rig which does the job and would be happy to keep the remaining money.

About Intel Motherboards:

What you need to be worried about is not just the company, but the CHIPSET. Abit IP35-E is a motherboard using Intel's own P35 chipset, the same one found in DP35DP board. Usually, intel boards from other brands like Biostar, Abit, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc are better than from intel itself.

And yes, today, most Intel chipset motherboards need you to shell out more money for performance, and cheaper ones often lack in something or the other. Only boards above 6K or 8K will give a very good performance. And for all these, you need to buy an external graphics card since few intel boards exist with onboard graphics. Also, intel's onboard graphics is rather low in performance. Intel boards are best and highly recommended for mainstream and above systems with an external graphics card and a good modern processor and also for overclocking.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
well let's clear it all.

First of all, you don't need to purchase a graphic card with any board. With that said, we all(i hope) suggest that you get a entry level graphic card so that you can easily run a new OS like Windows Vista OR Ubuntu 8.04.

I suggest you get a Quad Core as you are more into multi-tasking. Core 2 Duos (not Dual Cores :)) are better at gaming because gaming works better with more frequency rather then more cores. As E8200 works at a better frequency then Q6600, it's better for gaming. Quad Cores reign supreme when it comes to multi-tasking with it's 4 cores.

Ok the combo you should get is - Intel Q6600 + Abit IP35e ,which should total to 14.5k and as i said, get a entry-level graphics card. I suggest a NVIDIA 8400GS for 2.8k. It should work fine for you.

Hope this helps :)

well let's clear it all.

First of all, you don't need to purchase a graphic card with any board. With that said, we all(i hope) suggest that you get a entry level graphic card so that you can easily run a new OS like Windows Vista OR Ubuntu 8.04.

I suggest you get a Quad Core as you are more into multi-tasking. Core 2 Duos (not Dual Cores :)) are better at gaming because gaming works better with more frequency rather then more cores. As E8200 works at a better frequency then Q6600, it's better for gaming. Quad Cores reign supreme when it comes to multi-tasking with it's 4 cores.

Ok the combo you should get is - Intel Q6600 + Abit IP35e ,which should total to 14.5k and as i said, get a entry-level graphics card. I suggest a NVIDIA 8400GS for 2.8k. It should work fine for you.

Hope this helps :)
sorry wrong again. You DO need a GPU on most boards since not all boards have onboard graphics.

8400GS for 2.8K would be the most dumb thing ever. Its too expensive. Better go for either 8600GT for 3K or HD3450 for 1.8K or 7100GS for 1K.

Might I ask WHY Abit IP35-E ? Its 2K more than XFX 630i. It does not have onboard graphics so you need to buy external card. Its main advantage, Overclocking, is not needed since he is not an overclocker and Q6600 OCs like a brick. He does not need dual channel memory or a good graphics card since he is NOT a gamer, rather, he is a multitasker. So XFX 630i would be the best bet for him. He neither needs to waste money nor will he loose out on the features he actually needs.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Sorry for the misunderstandings made by me. MetalHeadGautham is right. But do get a dedicated GPU at all costs. 8600GT seems your best bet here.

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
About Intel Motherboards:[/U]

What you need to be worried about is not just the company, but the CHIPSET. Abit IP35-E is a motherboard using Intel's own P35 chipset, the same one found in DP35DP board. Usually, intel boards from other brands like Biostar, Abit, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc are better than from intel itself.

Ok I am actually doing a heavy reading now on motherboard / chipset / etc...and first time i came to know that chipset and motherboard can be different. Actually out of hardware touch in last two years. now catching up with help of u guys.

One quick q though - Abit IP35 E uses Intel's P35 chipset the same found in DP35DP Board.
Then why get another motherboard from Abit rather than intel itself if they both use same chipset...???

Also see *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit - ABit does not seem a reliable company

And yes, today, most Intel chipset motherboards need you to shell out more money for performance, and cheaper ones often lack in something or the other. Only boards above 6K or 8K will give a very good performance. And for all these, you need to buy an external graphics card since few intel boards exist with onboard graphics. Also, intel's onboard graphics is rather low in performance. Intel boards are best and highly recommended for mainstream and above systems with an external graphics card and a good modern processor and also for overclocking.

Now I got what u meant by Intel chipset Motherboards -- Motherboards of other companies with Intel chipset.

Which would be a good graphics card for rs 3000 to 4000 K...??

Might I ask WHY Abit IP35-E ? Its 2K more than XFX 630i. It does not have onboard graphics so you need to buy external card. Its main advantage, Overclocking, is not needed since he is not an overclocker and Q6600 OCs like a brick. He does not need dual channel memory or a good graphics card since he is NOT a gamer, rather, he is a multitasker. So XFX 630i would be the best bet for him. He neither needs to waste money nor will he loose out on the features he actually needs.

Boss i really want dual channel support (i have been using that for years and it makes RAM really fast)...

For normal movie watching and normal games - just in case - how much diff a graphics card makes...

# which is Intel's best Chipset and on which motherboard for Core 2 Quad...?

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
A Graphic Card will help hugely by taking-off load of your CPU. You need Graphics Card to watch High-Def. content. Get a NVIDIA 8600GT for around 3.2k. Kingston 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (2x1GB). Abit is a good and reputed company. Quad Core is good for you. 630i chipset by NVIDIA is good for you. Wikipedia runs on user-submitted content and that means, dumb users and can post too. Hope, this clarifies it. :)

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
A Graphic Card will help hugely by taking-off load of your CPU. You need Graphics Card to watch High-Def. content. Get a NVIDIA 8600GT for around 3.2k. Kingston 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (2x1GB). Abit is a good and reputed company. Quad Core is good for you. 630i chipset by NVIDIA is good for you. Wikipedia runs on user-submitted content and that means, dumb users and can post too. Hope, this clarifies it. :)

Yes this helps a lot.

630i chipset by Nvidia...??? with which motherboard boss...???

As far as RAM goes whats highest Mhz in RAM available and is hynx or croissar better...???

One more q - do we get 2 gb single ram stick...and is any other motherboard and chipset capable of accomkodating 8 GB Ram...???

Sorry for asking too many questions but i am reading and want to have most basic doubts answered...

u guys really helping me a lot...kudossssssss

Ok I am actually doing a heavy reading now on motherboard / chipset / etc...and first time i came to know that chipset and motherboard can be different. Actually out of hardware touch in last two years. now catching up with help of u guys.

One quick q though - Abit IP35 E uses Intel's P35 chipset the same found in DP35DP Board.
Then why get another motherboard from Abit rather than intel itself if they both use same chipset...???

Also see *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit - ABit does not seem a reliable company

Now I got what u meant by Intel chipset Motherboards -- Motherboards of other companies with Intel chipset.

Which would be a good graphics card for rs 3000 to 4000 K...??

Boss i really want dual channel support (i have been using that for years and it makes RAM really fast)...

For normal movie watching and normal games - just in case - how much diff a graphics card makes...

# which is Intel's best Chipset and on which motherboard for Core 2 Quad...?

When Intel and another company both make motherboards with the same chipset, non intel made is prefered mainly because intel motherboards prevent overclocking. And they have NO customisations by default.

Abit is actually a good company. They were once unstoppable, then faded away, and recently returned back in style with the awssome IP35-E for mainstream and IP35-Pro for overclockers. But as per the latest reviews, they are again going behind, with Biostar, ASUS and MSI enterning the limelight for P45 chipset based boards.

A good 3k to 4k GPU would be 8600GT now, but I would advice you to wait and see what the 9500GT comes down to.

With 800MHz RAM, dual channel is going to give only 5% speed boost, and perhaps 10-15% when gaming. This is too trivial since the 800MHz RAMs are good enough for all tasks.
Actually, you NEED a graphics card (onboard or otherwise) if you want to see more than 8 colours on your monitor. For this, even onboard graphics will do. But the real help in things like video decoding depends on the card you are using.While most intel onboards like GMA 3100 which is found in Q35 and G31 motherboards suck, and can't play HD content and can't be used for low end gaming, onboards from nVidia and ATI rock. ATI Radeon HD1200, HD1250, HD3100, HD3200 and HD3300 rock and beat intel everywhere. nVidia GeForce 7050, 7100, 7150, 8100, 8200 and 8300 also rock as onboard graphics solutions. But ofcource, you should only be intrested in HD3xxx series and GF8xxx series if you need an onboard system that can actually play some GAMES as in Crysis, BioShock, etc, even though at low settings.

And even in dedicated graphics cards, the thing that makes lots of difference is the card itself. 7100GS won't offer any speed boosts over most onboard solutions, and is nothing more than a basic video processor. You need to think atleast as high as 8600GT or HD3650 if you need something which can play all games.

Any card from GeForce 8100 and above and Radeon HD3100 and above are capable of handling HD video decoding in MPEG, H.264 and VC-I formats. Lower end ones can't do it and hence your CPU is still taxed slightly.

There is no difference otherwise between an onboard card and a dedicated card in performance. Memory for onboard cards is often "shared", meaning used from the system RAM, while dedicated cards usually posess their own memory. Performance depends not on the place the card is installed (onboard or dedicated) but on its model.

OP
S

sunandoghosh

Broken In
MetalheadGautham -- wow boss fundo conecpt...really makes lot more sense...

However much google explains but such explanations aid to real experince and practical implications...

I will dare to ask few more questions -- pls have patience with me --

1. SO it means these days in India Intel chipset P35 and P45 are quite popular and robust...?? ANy better chipsets near 5k to 6k or a little higher...

2. I think its better to go for dedicated graphics card as bcz it has its own ram so will not put burden on CPU ram...

I am gradually getting convinced on following config combo:

Intel Chipset p35 (ABIT based)...hope there is warranty help in india from abit

RAM 800 Mhz
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

and yes of course nvidia geforce Gt8600

i was also going through the link based on valuable inputs of all of u...
*compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=34470,29001&familyID=10&culture=en-US

and i see that p45 supports 16gb ram and p35 supports 8gb...do we have such motherboards and ram chips available...??? anyone using...???

Last edited:
MetalheadGautham -- wow boss fundo conecpt...really makes lot more sense...

However much google explains but such explanations aid to real experince and practical implications...

I will dare to ask few more questions -- pls have patience with me --

1. SO it means these days in India Intel chipset P35 and P45 are quite popular and robust...?? ANy better chipsets near 5k to 6k or a little higher...

2. I think its better to go for dedicated graphics card as bcz it has its own ram so will not put burden on CPU ram...

I am gradually getting convinced on following config combo:

Intel Chipset p35 (ABIT based)...hope there is warranty help in india from abit

RAM 800 Mhz
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

and yes of course nvidia geforce Gt8600
1. yes. For intel Intel chipset is best and for AMD AMD chipset is best.
2. If you have 4GB RAM, you don't need to worry about that part. :lol:

Before thinking of getting a GPU or a high end motherboard, first state what you will actually DO with your system. Whats going to be its main work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom