Intel Cuts Quad-core Chip Prices by 40 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.
ntel on Monday announced price cuts across a wide range of chips used in mobile and desktop PCs, including cuts of up to 40 percent for its quad-core chips.

Intel's Core 2 Quad Q9650 processors are now priced at US$316 (Rs. 15,500), a 40 percent drop from December. Other Core 2 Quad chip prices were cut between 16 percent and 20 percent. The quad-core chips are used in high-end desktops like gaming systems.

Intel's move could be a response to increasing price pressure exerted by rival Advanced Micro Devices, which recently announced the Phenom II quad-core chips for high-end desktops. AMD has priced its Phenom II quad-core chips between $235 (Rs. 11,515) and $275 (Rs. 13,475).

Intel also cut prices of its Xeon chips for servers and Celeron processors for mobile devices by up to 48 percent. The quad-core Xeon 3370 is now priced at $316 (Rs. 15,500), a 40 percent drop from December, while the Celeron 570 chip was cut by 48 percent from $134 (Rs. 6,566) to $70 (Rs. 3,430).

Amid the price drops, Intel also introduced three power-efficient quad-core chips with the "s" moniker. The Core 2 Quad Q9550s processor includes 12MB of L2 cache, runs at 2.83GHz and draws 65 watts of power. The chips are priced at $369 (Rs. 18,081). The chip is power-efficient version of the Core 2 Quad Q9550 chip, which draws 95 watts of power.

Intel also introduced the Core 2 Quad Q9400s processor, which runs at 2.66GHz, and the Core 2 Quad Q8200s, which runs at 2.33GHz. This chips are priced at $320 (Rs. 15,680) and $245 (Rs. 12,005) respectively.

Source - pcworld

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
This is the very reason Amd should be there alive and kicking.
In a monopoly Intel would never undercut the prices.
I really hope Loss making AMD has a good run until we start living up with high processors prices.

x3060

A LOTR fan
personally i would definitely like to see a bit more price drop than this...its less than i expected :(

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
the title is a bit misleading. 40% cut was only on Q9650. For other processors, there was 15-18% cut. no price cuts for e8xxx and core i7 though. coz they are not challenged yet by AMD.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
This is the very reason Amd should be there alive and kicking.
In a monopoly Intel would never undercut the prices.
I really hope Loss making AMD has a good run until we start living up with high processors prices.

AMD can only have a good run.. if people start buying their products..
with the number of layoffs going on at amd it doesnt seem like they are..

LoL. Now there is hardly any reason to cheer for AMD. Phenom II 9x0 series is officially a major flop, because they come nowhere close to their Intel Core 2 45nm rivals in terms of multimedia performance, gaming performance, overclockability, power efficiency and most importantly, PRICE.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
If only AMD could do with their processors what they could do with their graphics cards, we would see some real good price cuts on all Intel processors.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
LoL. Now there is hardly any reason to cheer for AMD. Phenom II 9x0 series is officially a major flop, because they come nowhere close to their Intel Core 2 45nm rivals in terms of multimedia performance, gaming performance, overclockability, power efficiency and most importantly, PRICE.

it aint a major flop... but it will never compete with intel unless AMD does something abt Phenom's lack of SSE4 instructions.

it aint a major flop... but it will never compete with intel unless AMD does something abt Phenom's lack of SSE4 instructions.
read carefully. I said 9x0, which excludes the AM3 DDR3 chips :p

I am looking out for Phenom X4 805 - 2.5GHz, 4x512KB L2 cache, 4MB L3 cache, DDR3, AM3, HT3.0, 95W, 150$ :D

^^Supposed to come by February.

I think THAT would be a nice long term investment for me, because prices may reach 7K by May, when I make my purchase. Besides, with move to 50nm and 48nm, DDR3 prices are also expected to crash in a few weeks.

OP
A

azaad_shri75

BE FREE
CPU Wars: AMD Slashes Phenom II Prices

Let's talk recent history. AMD unveils two new CPUs, the Phenom II 920 and 940 Black Edition, giving Intel's Core 2 Quad CPUs a run for their money. The Phenoms performed well and were priced lower than similar performing Intels. Intel responded by cutting the prices of its CPUs, including the 3.0 GHz quad core CPU – the Q9650 which saw a whopping 40 percent price cut. And now, AMD seems to have done it.

The Phenom II 920 will now cost $195 (about Rs. 10,000) and the multiplier unlocked 3.0 GHz 940 Black Edition will be $235 (about Rs.11,750), taking Intel's moves head on. With the current pricing, the Phenom II 940 Black Edition is back in the race against the similarly clocked Q9650, the Intel CPU that had the highest price cut.

When big companies wage a price war over their products, the consumers stand to gain the most. Once the price cuts start reflecting in the Indian market which should not take too long (about a couple of weeks at most), the time will be right to rig up a performance PC complete with four powerful number crunching cores – be it an AMD or an Intel.

source - pcworld

Phenom II 940BE is actually MUCH weaker than the Core2 Quad Q9650. Its more comparable to Q9450, with its power being roughly equal (though often lower).

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
And, it will get better, DDR3 P2's shud push DDR2 P2's price further down, I wud like to se it in the 170-190$ for 920 and 940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom