Intel Conroe and AMD AM2 Price Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kniwor

Learner
QwertyManiac said:
One doubt, games have a specification of 'Min Processor Speed' in them. Now say, some game (new) requires a minimum of 2 Ghz as its requirement, how will a dual core processor clocked to say, 1.8 Ghz play that ? Or is it a free restriction and can be overriden ?

that actually is not a restriction, they just used to write that according to the old intel convension and just thought that the game will barely play with that much, of-course even at that time if someone plugged in an 7800GT in some 1.6Ghz it will play a game fine, so that is not a concern.

go_gamez

In the zone
montylee said:
Hey, did anybody saw the Intel's Conroe Ad in "Times of India". It was an Ad for branded PCs : HCL, Wipro, LG and Zenith and the prices were between 34K-36K.

ya i had a look....but like always..the branded pcs had comparatively..less ram..and the configs..where..not up to the mark....

OP
montylee

montylee

Journeyman
Yes, Core 2 Duo can work on 954G chipsets. Check out this link:

*indigo.intel.com/mbsg/results.aspx?orgID=0&aryAttrID=243,157

Enjoy!!!

Kniwor

Learner
well s lot of chipsets can handle it, INTEL says 945 cannot, but asrock, asus has already made motherboards with these chipsets....

Kniwor

Learner
E6300 + ASUS P5LD2-VMSE have been available for 14k bundle since Day one in kolkata, so i see no price decrease, but that mobo is useless.....

OP
montylee

montylee

Journeyman
Just checked the latest AMD AM2 prices from SMC International.

AMD 3000+ 939: Rs. 3500,
AMD 3000+ AM2: Rs. 4000
AM2 board MSI: 4200, Asus M2NPV-VM: 6000

Asus, MSI board are available.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Conroe prices will stay where they are till the time newer Conroes come out or AMD comes out with a Conroe killer. Personally I think Conroe is fast but not required. AMD X2 can handle the job just as well. That is unless you are into really high-end stuff like weather prediction and all.

supersaiyan

In the zone
you guys might want to check this out-*www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/21/intel_core2duo_e6400_invades_amd_territory/
i would like to quote some lines from the article at the above link which i think are important with respect to the topic of this thread

1)The new figures give the E6400 a performance index score of 2.74, meaning that in the five categories of tests we've accounted for - applications, gaming, synthetic processing, audio encoding, and video encoding - the THG test system with the E6400 CPU delivered an average of 274% the performance of an old single-core Pentium 4 2 GHz CPU, which currently sells for about $77 on average.

2)Given the assessed performance of all known AMD dual-core desktop processors, a hypothetical AMD processor whose performance index score was also 2.74, would sell for $537.17. And as our new-format chart shows, the nearest real-world competitor to the E6400 is AMD's Athlon 64 X2 5000+, whose index score is 2.72 but which sells for $360.

3)AMD's hold on the value side of the price/performance map appears more fragile by the day

4)The Athlon 64 X2 4400+ price rose a shocking $42 to $277 over the weekend (up 17.9%), and the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ price gained 9% to $157. This as Intel CPU prices continued a steady decline, with the Core 2 Duo E6700 down to an all-time low of $601 (down 3.5% over Friday), and the Core 2 Duo E6300 price down 6.4% over Friday to $204.

5)we're now able to make price/performance estimates for three more Intel processors, one of which raises the Intel curve, and the other which drops it back down:The Pentium Extreme Edition 955 joins the EE 840 and the EE 965 at the artificial premium area, as one of the three dual-core/hyperthreading CPUs still in dealers' inventory that continue to be sold at older price points. Dealers can't afford to discount these models even to get them off the shelves, even with better performing Intel processors selling for less than one-fifth the amount.But helping compensate for the EE 955 is the addition of the Core 2 Duo E6400, which we mentioned, and the popular Pentium D 805

By seeing the above article and now knowing that intel's prices have dropped(the e6300 is for 9000(approx) if 1$=Rs 45) and conversely amd's prices are doodling(first decreased dramatically,then increased dramatically) i would now advise anyone buying a new pc to increase their budgets(if needed) by 1k or 2k and buy an intel e6300 as it is now worth the money. even price to performacnce ratio is high.
If anyone can tell me the price of the e6300 and e6400 in india,especially in delhi,it would be very helpful to not only me but to anyone else who is viewing this thread.

Last edited:

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
yogi7272 said:
can some one check wherther this mobo is available or not

GIGABYTE GA 965P - DS 3

this is the mobo to get for e6300 ..

sells for 150 dollars in us.. is it available in india ..

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
I would anyday get E6300 with a good 965.

also, 7800GT + 1.6GHz= crap, it can't even make use of that card. It won't matter whether there is a 9800pro or 7800GT, they are both the same and both will be crap

varkey

Journeyman
Delta Peripherals now show

Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 - Rs. 11300. According to many revews its a really cool mobo.

vinyas

In the zone
Note that this CPU along with the E6300 arent really "conroes" since they dont have a Conroe Core.They have an Allendale Core. Dont get Core 2 Duo & Conroe mixed up. Only the E6600 & Up are actually Conroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom