Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
I have heard that Intel has launched 64bit processors for desktop computers. If someone could provide information about it.

D

Deleted member 5901

i doubt its launched ????
i think it is gonna b launched soon!!!!!!!!

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
yes they are launched,

but not in india till now

n i have read that those have model nos. to differenciate...rather than speed like in P4

not know much,.. will post here wen i get 2 know.

rohanbee

Padawan
Yes they have been around for some time now and the latest one is Intel Itanium 2 processor.

Intel has already shipped over 1 million processors for 64-bit servers, and has a proven track record for simplifying migrations and providing powerful, flexible and cost-effective support for end-to-end enterprise computing on 64-bit server platforms.

Above info from www.intel.com

godsownman

Padawan
I dont think that one should go in for the Intel Itanium 2 processor as there is evidently some problem and even Windos XP64 professional beta does not support it.

indro

In the zone
What are you talking about, Itanium is not even a x-86 processor , its not available for OEM , its called apic technology , they had plans for them to be shipped for Desktops and consumers , but they scraped the idea ,thanks to AMD, i guess the one which was talked about originally , is the EMT64 technology , Extended Memory Addressing , which means 2 to the power 64 is the bytes which they can address virtually , breaking the 4 gb 32 bit limit per processor .

Windows XP 64 bit which origially came out back in nov 2001 was for itanium, now its for x86 technology 64 bit primarily for athlon 64 and opteron in the Beta stage , (2003) and later added support for intel as well .

Itanium 2 has been around for more than 5 yrs , its not new ,its still in use in the super computing arena,But Microsoft scrapped the idea of supporting that anymore .

Does that cover everything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom