Installing XP after VISTA in DUAL BOOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi,

I tried to install XP after creating a separate partition on my Vista installation. When starting with the installer, it shows a message that cannot find hard disk for install. I have a HP Pavilion DV6226 notebook with SATA drive. Please suggest what can be the issue.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i think its not coz of ntsc coz xp installs fine on ntsc its possibly ocz of sata drivers

refer this link: *h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwa...n&cc=in&dlc=en&product=3191153&os=228&lang=en

OP
shantanu

shantanu

Technomancer
just format the partition manually by help of a disk manager... and then it will install like anything... and guys i guess it is NTFS :D

User Name

In the zone
i tried this method and got prob.

F:\boot>bootsect.exe -NT60 All
Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

Could not map drive partitions to the associated volume device objects:
Access is denied.

now i use easybcd & created a new entry for win XP and give drive path where it is installed.
after restarting laptop it shows both option win vista and XP for booting when i select XP
it says boot file missing or currupt.

Help me?

Last edited:
OP
shantanu

shantanu

Technomancer
wait ! can you elaborate ?

well if you follow each steps without loosing anything or giving wrong drive letters and spaces, you wont miss, i have tried over 10 times myself.. tell me your drives, root of xp, vista and DVD drive ?

and for boot file : copy this :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

and save it as all files and the name = boot.ini , copy it into XP drive :)

Last edited:

INS-ANI

In the zone
i have got a odd problem in here, when i use XP SP2 installation disk, it says it cant find a hard drive in my system and aborts installation, though i have 10 gb of unallocated space freed from vista disk manager.

OP
shantanu

shantanu

Technomancer
THe installer CD should show your HDD , if it is not then it might be that you are using windows xp without SP2 or the partition table has gone corrupt.

have you converted your disk to dynamic ?????

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Ok guys, this TuT is about installation of XP after a fresh VISTA install.

But, I hv a question the other way round :D ,

I want to install Vista Business Edition (i already hv XP Pro SP2 on a FAT32 part) installed on my:
(P-4 2Ghz, 2GB DDR(400) Transcend RAM and 256 MB nVIDIA AGP card supported system)

Is my system specs enough to run Vista BIZ edition ? (I ran the test from MS site if it is able to support Vista, and it recommended me Vista Biz Edition. (Shud I go for Biz edition or sum other lite vista edition (if any) !

SO plz, a clear help wud be really helpful as to how much disk space is reqd for Vista and how much FREE Disk Space shud be left after Vista installation so that I can try sum stuff in it (not games thou) :)

Note: I already hv Win XP PRO SP2 installed on my C Drive and I am in no mood to delete it, I am looking for a DUAL BOOT OS on my SYstem i.e XP+Vista Business edition.

CHeers n e-peace....

dr_jimit

Journeyman
Ok guys, this TuT is about installation of XP after a fresh VISTA install.

But, I hv a question the other way round :D ,

I want to install Vista Business Edition (i already hv XP Pro SP2 on a FAT32 part) installed on my:
(P-4 2Ghz, 2GB DDR(400) Transcend RAM and 256 MB nVIDIA AGP card supported system)

Is my system specs enough to run Vista BIZ edition ? (I ran the test from MS site if it is able to support Vista, and it recommended me Vista Biz Edition. (Shud I go for Biz edition or sum other lite vista edition (if any) !

SO plz, a clear help wud be really helpful as to how much disk space is reqd for Vista and how much FREE Disk Space shud be left after Vista installation so that I can try sum stuff in it (not games thou) :)

Note: I already hv Win XP PRO SP2 installed on my C Drive and I am in no mood to delete it, I am looking for a DUAL BOOT OS on my SYstem i.e XP+Vista Business edition.

CHeers n e-peace....

ur pc is ready even for Vista Ultimate, Just search for updated drivers for vista

Go for Home Premium if u dont want some Biz features like join domain etc.

FOr Dual Boot,
just install vista from within xp as a custom install on other drive then where xp is install.it will autodetect and will show menu at boot, which OS to Start.

FOR xp after vista

I JUST BOOT FROM VISTA DVD AND IN REPAIR===> BOOT REPAIR.
and all don ein just 5 sec, NO CODES. :D

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

Yup i will try that (coz if the TuT is any thing to go by as Jimit said) then I guess installation of Vista on XP is preety simple as compare to XP over Vista

:Off topic: I will d/load Vista via torrent first in a day or two and then post my results :D:D

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom